Author Topic: Ben Cousins of no value as Tigers rebuild culture (Australian)  (Read 2460 times)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Cousins of no value as Tigers rebuild culture (Australian)
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 07:16:02 PM »
Oh, I don't know Smokey. I just reckon our demise as a great club just happened to coincide with the nationalisation of the game.
Maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe as many have theorised we just failed to sniff the wind and adapt to a changing landscape, and got left w-a-y, way behind. It just makes me so sad, because I can't see any way back to being a power again in this current climate, and with more gatecrashers coming in.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »
Lol your not wrong very often Smoke.

RR I can see where your coming from. Vic teams don't get helped in the way interstate clubs. I hate to say it but we had our draft picks and chances to reign at the top again but failed to pick the better talent and also failed to develop the talent we had. Its well documented who we could have had up forward with Richo in Franklin and Pavlich as well as many other very successful players. If we had built a side equivilent to the Hawthorn build we wouldn't be having an issue.

If it makes you feel better about the Gold Coast situation think as if they started this year with No draft picks and player there VFL standard side in the AFL in 2010. They wouldn't win a game and would deserve to have Pick 1 etc next year from a 17 team competition. Sure we get a raw end of the stick compared to Melbourne, Carl, Haw and Saints bottoming out but we just have to cop it and make things work. Sydney and Freo have very few top 10 draft picks yet they still are more then competitive year in year out. Sydney more so. Need to find next years Barlow, and draft a 1st round steal like Selwood with our first draft pick and a Jack Grimes/Bastinac steal in our 2nd round. It happens every year. We just need it to be Richmond next year. Just pour all resources into recruiting and development nothing else matters.
Go Tigers!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »
Hardly a scandal on Cousin's behalf, ever tried wrestling a violent drunk against his will?  He was trying to take charge, which at the end of the day is not his job, he isn't 'the baby sitter', but he and the others tried to do the right thing and look after their mate, but he was obviously out of control.

Cousins has used up all his chances elsewhere.
Do you honestly think the club would have drawn attention to this by suspending him if he wasn't at least partly at fault at 3am?
Particularly after defending him so publicly only just last week?
He will not be at Tigerland in 2011.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 09:25:18 AM »
Smokey, you say that we still have our local competition to follow down here. But it's not Richmond, it's Coburg, an old VFA side with its' own history, colours and traditions. I only used to have a passing interest in the old VFA, but I used to follow Port Melbourne in the days of Fred Cooke.
This uneasy alliance with the Burgers is light years away from the win-win situation I mentioned, where the average South Aussie fan can go and watch his Crows or Power, as well as his original team, be it Sturt or Glenelg. Ditto in Perth.
This is a luxury I sure wish that I had  as a Richmond supporter.
The fact that the league set up the competition the way it did, without due thought as to how it would properly and fairly construct the model was a HUGE MISTAKE, which cannot be dismissed lightly.
First up it cost South and Fitzroy their clubs. I know supporters of these two teams who are still devastated by this and, far from feeling compensated by Brisbanes three flags, simply gave the game away.
Secondly, the supporters of Melbourne-based clubs that survived were dragged, through the love of their teams, into a competition that was rigged against them on many levels.
First we had 10 teams in this town fighting for sponsors and members,while strong footy States like SA and WA shared their resources between only two sets of fans.
Then we had a governing body so hell-bent on conquering Rugby markets that they were prepared to ride roughshod over any considerations like equity to make Sydney and Brisbane successful.
Hence,things like Tony Lockett never making it to Tigerland, and the greater salary caps for Sydney and Brisbane.
And now they're doing it to us again with ridiculous and unwanted franchises like GC17 and Western Sydney coming in and stealing the cream of our draft picks at a time when we need to re-build after being decimated by a snake-oil merchant.
National Competition the best thing that happened to the game????
PIG'S A***E!!     

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 07:59:18 PM »
What? No nibbles! :sleep

jackstar is back again

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »
They might have run out of footy boots for Ben, ;)