Author Topic: Ben Cousins of no value as Tigers rebuild culture (Australian)  (Read 2459 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ben Cousins of no value as Tigers rebuild culture

* Malcolm Conn
  * The Australian
  * April 13, 2010

BY suspending four of its players, including Ben Cousins, for inappropriate behaviour, Richmond has regained the respect it is unlikely to earn on the football field this year.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to utter Cousins and respect in the same sentence.

The recovering drug addict, who was forced out of West Coast in disgrace three years ago, has again kicked in the teeth all those who continue to show faith in him.

Only last Friday new coach Damien Hardwick raved about the leadership qualities Cousins brings to the team as one of the few experienced players among a bunch of kids.

The following night Richmond was given a 55-point flogging by Sydney at the SCG, its third hiding in as many games this season.

And just a few hours later Cousins, the oldest and most decorated player in the club, was part of a group responsible for waking international triathletes in Sydney's Intercontinental Hotel at 3am.

This raises the question - if Richmond is attempting to build a new culture should Cousins really be part of it given his history of disruption? The negative publicity to date surrounding his presence at Richmond has been enormous and is clearly on-going.

By suspending an intoxicated Daniel Connors for eight weeks and Cousins, Dean Polo and Luke McGuane for one match each, Richmond has probably cost itself the ghost of a chance it had of beating reigning wooden-spooner Melbourne on Sunday.

But the sacrifice of attempting to scramble four points against the improving Demons is no sacrifice at all given what Hardwick and his new team of helpers are attempting to achieve.

Fifteenth last season, Richmond is planted on the bottom of the ladder with a percentage of less than 48 and is overwhelming favourite to win its third wooden spoon in seven years.

After the most successful period in the club's history from 1967-82, when it won five premierships from seven grand finals, Richmond has a history of cannibalising itself with arrogance and infighting.

This has left the club with a disgraceful history of drafting young talent over more than two decades.

Despite making the finals just twice (1995 and 2001) since the first draft in 1986, the Tigers have failed to capitalise on the early picks their many lowly placings offered them over the years.

Indeed, most of Richmond's early draft picks disappeared without trace until Brett Deledio was chosen at the end of 2004. He has since won two club best and fairests in weak sides.

The jury is still out on 2008 choices Tyrone Vickery and Jayden Post, but it takes bigger players longer to develop.

After a clean out of a dozen players during the off season, Richmond is starting with a very low base, playing youngsters of varying talents propped up by a handful of senior players.

Richmond's dreadful recruiting contrasts with Sydney carefully selecting ready-made players from other clubs.

The Swans are heading towards their 12th finals series in 15 years, which includes two grand finals and a premiership, in 2005.

At Richmond, the long-suffering supporters can only hope that another new broom under Hardwick will indeed bring a new dawn, not another false one.

It will be so long in the making Cousins won't be a part of it, so what is his value now?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/ben-cousins-of-no-value-as-tigers-rebuild-culture/story-e6frg7t6-1225852942366

jackstar is back again

Re: Ben Cousins of no value as Tigers rebuild culture (Australian)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:49:49 AM »
Sydney 12 finals in 15 years.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »

sydney have been looked after, wait til western sydney and gc17 come in , goodbye sydney

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:05:59 AM »

sydney have been looked after, wait til western sydney and gc17 come in , goodbye sydney

You're not kidding Sydney have been looked after X. Tony Lockett was ready to sign with Richmond due to his family connections with John Northey. But the AFL poured cold water all over that didn't they?
And Barry Hall would have to be the luckiest man to ever play in a Premiership team the week after belting somebody.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:16:38 AM »
 Hardly a scandal on Cousin's behalf, ever tried wrestling a violent drunk against his will?  He was trying to take charge, which at the end of the day is not his job, he isn't 'the baby sitter', but he and the others tried to do the right thing and look after their mate, but he was obviously out of control.
Lots of people name their swords......

TigerTimeII

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:43:35 AM »

You're not kidding Sydney have been looked after X. Tony Lockett was ready to sign with Richmond due to his family connections with John Northey. But the AFL poured cold water all over that didn't they?
And Barry Hall would have to be the luckiest man to ever play in a Premiership team the week after belting somebody.

yep
and on top of that what about all the other concessions they have had.

eff the afl and eff sydney

now remember when sydney were in dire straights , all the help they got when they were pathetic and could not win, well where is our help now

the afl are a bunch of idiots

Edited:for avoiding the swear filter. Repeat warning:The "C" word in any form (including edited versions) is unacceptable
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:36:24 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »
Absolutely. Greedy hypocrites is what they are! The worst thing that ever happened to this game was going national.

Offline smasha

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:59:49 AM »

What's new.

AFL -corrupt farks.

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
Absolutely. Greedy hypocrites is what they are! The worst thing that ever happened to this game was going national.

You can't be serious  :o

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »

yep

now remember when sydney were in dire straights , all the help they got when they were pathetic and could not win, well where is our help now

what help do you actually think we deserve mate.

from where im standing we have dug ourselves a big massive hole and only we can get ourselves out.

eff the AFL we need to find a way to the top because we did it ourselves well and truly. We as a football club have made our club the basket case it is today.

If it wasnt for people like all of us on this forum this club would be ten feet under. FACT!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:36:57 PM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »

yep

what help do you actually think we deserve mate.

from where im standing we have dug ourselves a big massive hole and only we can get ourselves out.

eff the AFL we need to find a way to the top because we did it ourselves well and truly. We as a football club have made our club the basket case it is today.

If it wasnt for people like all of us on this forum this club would be ten feet under. FACT!!
Exactly my thoughts! Get out of the hole alone or go down trying!
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »

You can't be serious  :o

You bet your life I'm serious. It was a move motivated by GREED. We had a good Victorian competition that had survived for 80-odd years as it was, and a bunch of fatcats at head office came along and ruined it with a flawed, uneven and poorly thought out model. 

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 05:35:39 PM »

What about when mick o ran into an umpire while celebrating a goal and got off scot free while others were copping fines for bumbing them while in play??

Has any one ever seen a swans game and thought "gee Sydney got the rough end of the stick from the umpires today"?

They make me  :chuck.

Cant quite agree with you on the nationalisation of the game though. If the VFL had not done it, kerry packer or someone of his ilk would have in the same way as what happened with Rugby. That little fiasco ripped the heart and soul out of the game.

There would probably be more than South Melbourne and Fitzroy gone if that had happened to the VFL.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Cant quite agree with you on the nationalisation of the game though. If the VFL had not done it, kerry packer or someone of his ilk would have in the same way as what happened with Rugby. That little fiasco ripped the heart and soul out of the game.

There would probably be more than South Melbourne and Fitzroy gone if that had happened to the VFL.

Yes Al, but just because the AFL may have prevented some even greedier bas***d coming along and doing even worse damage, doesn't make what they did right.
The concessions we talked about above that the Interstaters get are bad enough. As is the fact that South Melbourne and Fitzroy both went the way of the Dodo. But the thing I hate the most is that Interstate supporters have the best of both worlds.
They can watch their Eagles and Crows "Kick a Vic" in the national comp,and still go off and watch their Sturts and Norwoods and Glenelg's that they grew up with, compete in their local comp's. Whereas we can only watch Richmond in a national competition, competing against cashed up clubs from one and two team towns, with far greater resources at their disposal. And the good news is that there's even more on the way. And they're going to plunder the draft at a time when we're bottoming out and trying to re-build. And as always, we, their customers, had no say in the matter. They just declared "this is how we're dong it - like it or lump it", and dragged us all along for the ride, using the clubs we loved as hostages. I HATE THE AFL!!!                             

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 07:02:06 PM »

Yes Al, but just because the AFL may have prevented some even greedier bas***d coming along and doing even worse damage, doesn't make what they did right.
The concessions we talked about above that the Interstaters get are bad enough. As is the fact that South Melbourne and Fitzroy both went the way of the Dodo. But the thing I hate the most is that Interstate supporters have the best of both worlds.
They can watch their Eagles and Crows "Kick a Vic" in the national comp,and still go off and watch their Sturts and Norwoods and Glenelg's that they grew up with, compete in their local comp's. Whereas we can only watch Richmond in a national competition, competing against cashed up clubs from one and two team towns, with far greater resources at their disposal. And the good news is that there's even more on the way. And they're going to plunder the draft at a time when we're bottoming out and trying to re-build. And as always, we, their customers, had no say in the matter. They just declared "this is how we're dong it - like it or lump it", and dragged us all along for the ride, using the clubs we loved as hostages. I HATE THE AFL!!!                             

Sorry RR, I usually agree with your posts but I don't here.  Going national is the single best thing that the AFL did at the time.  They might not have done it as smart or as fair as they could but they put our game light years ahead of the competition and in this dog eat dog world, that positioning has become essential to it's survival.  As Al said, the privatization of rugby league killed it at the source (and it's strongest point) - the links with it's supporter base - and it will never ever recover from that.  We still have our 'local' competition and for many supporters they also/still have a secondary local club that they can interact or identify with to keep their involvement at a grass roots level if they choose.  If the AFL had not entered the Brisbane market when they did there would be a skeleton following up here today and I'm sure the same goes for Sydney - it's this 'national' footprint that makes our code so attractive to sponsors at all levels - club, media and the AFL itself and these sponsorship dollars are what pays for the initial development of the kids we draft each November.  Do I miss the days of going to the G to watch Richmond in the VFL when we ruled supreme?  Yep, sure do, but I also miss running out to play a game at club level and I miss playing cricket with my mates in the summer and I miss getting peed with my mates at Sunday sessions and I miss a whole heap of things that I used to do when I was young and single.  But that's just it - I'm not young and single any more and my life has moved on to different and better places - it needed to do that to allow me to grow.  And so it was for the AFL - they had to move on to different and better places to allow the game to grow - because the alternative was so much more unpalatable.  As much as you pine for the 'good old days', they were only ever that in your memory and had no place or no chance in your future.  Embrace the nationality of our competition for what opportunity it presents us - premier team of Australia, not Victoria.