Author Topic: The clubs "disciplinary" stance on Connors & Cousins - Discuss.  (Read 3535 times)

jackstar is back again

Re: The clubs "disciplinary" stance on Connors & Cousins - Discuss.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 06:58:01 PM »
Love Machine, good place in Prahan,
Few of the Richmond boys get there as well, LOL.
They probably wont anymore though :cheers

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 06:58:46 PM »
I used the word - u brought it up.

Talk about the topic or run along to the Love Machine,Pet.

don't tell me what to do big man!

I don't really care what they did re. the connors et al thing.  it gives some more kids a chance, gives Cuz a needed break.  connors well, it does seem excessive but who knows the truth anyways.  As for McG, he needs some time in the magoos and who was the other one?  I forget already but who cares.  We are in ground zero of a 15 year plan at the moment.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 07:24:32 PM »
I am completely opposed to taking punitive measures for what may be a persons shortcomings. We should help those who make a mistake, not demonise them! I believe that stances need to be taken but to punish players for wrong doing of another is even more ludicrous! Drop Connors from the team but allow him to continue to do what he does best for Coburg!

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »
Oops and Polo.  forgot about him.  He went ok last week too, sort of, in a Polo sort of game. 

the whole lot of them should be sent to kicking school for 8 weeks.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 07:45:08 PM »
Snip!....  Stick to the topic ppl

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
Snip!....  Stick to the topic ppl

Why do u think Polo hasnt been mentioned much?

Obviously Cuz is high profile, and Connors got 25 to life. but no one is mentioning Polo much.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 08:11:28 PM »
As I said before I think the club got this 100% right.

I don't think they caved into the media. I think for the first time in a very long time the'y made a tough call on poor behaviour by our players. IMHO it's been along time coming. As I posted somewhere else:

"the Club has acted swiftly and firmly - as a member I cannot ask for more."

Of the 4 the one I feel most for is Ben Cousins because he copping it from the media not becuase of what he did but because of who is and that is the disgraceful part.

As Ben has acknowledge that he probably dind't handle things as well as he should (although he gets a gold star from me for clocking Connors ;D) then that's good enough for me. Is he a deadman walking? No I don't think so because he has shown his actions on the field do the talking for him these days and I have no doubt they will for the remainer of the season

The one who should be copping it is Connors because this isn't the first time he as acted like a dill because he can't handle the grog or to be more precise doesn't know when to stop when he is downing the grog. How many chances do you give him? He has had warnings etc and still hasn't got through his thick skull that he is a professional athlete, who's been given a opportunity and that he has a responsibility to every single person associated with the RFC and that's not just his team mates, but staff, sponsors and us the members.

On the club supporting him I will repeat what I posted in the following thread:

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=10947.msg182440#msg182440

"I can assure you the club has tried to help Daniel, he has been warned and the help has been there but at the end of the day Dan Connors he has to want to help himself. Hopefully this is the kick up the bum he needs or he will become another waste of obvious natural talent"

As for being banished for six weeks and the comparison to Stokes - well Stokes was banished and not allowed to train at Geelong for about the same amount of time, he is only allowed to train with them again as of this week. But the best comparison to this sort of punishment is another Cat in Stevie Johnson - they banished him for 6 or so weeks and suspended him for 8 week or so in total. IMHO it was a defining moment for the GFC because their leadership group said "you break the rules you will not get away with it anymore" since that time they won 2 flags and are the benchmark of the competition. If we want to base ourselves on club in this comp, then Geelong is bloody good place to start.

As for Polo & McGuane - they missed recovery caused in part by trying to placate and drunken yobbo team mate. Harsh penalty perhaps but for missing recovery I would think it is spot on. Important thing now going forward is that this is the "norm" and not the exception for this sort of thing (missing recovery)

Finally, I think it was x who said "who cares about image?" Well rightly or wrongly image is so bloody important these days. The AFL is a multi million dollar industry and Richmond is a part of that. And in an industry where sponsors are paramount we do have to consider image

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
Ox.

It IS totally unacceptable to be up drinking at 3am. They had a recovery session the night before. You could be sympathetic if it was someones birthday celebrations or engagement or 300th game even. What were they celebrating. You don't need to get on the pee at 3am to have a good time. Your an AFL footballer you sacrifice some of the simple pleasures of life, and one of them is the ability to get on the pee at 3am and act like a goose. Can't handle it, well then get out. Go play for a local league club for 50k a year and get sloshed after every game if it's that important. What do I expect players to do if they can't sleep? Ge anything but get on the pee. Watch TV, listen to some tunes there are other forms of entertainment other than getting on the pee cause I'm not tired. Weak as pi$$ excuse Ox.

8 weeks may be strong but ge he if anyone was having doubts about whether getting on the gas and having a bender during the season was a good idea. Well that's completely gone now. That is a good thing.

Crucified as Individuals... That isn't even remotely true. For a start they were punished as a group for not policing Connors. They each made a decision to not act. Surely all us guys that enjoy a drink have been in a situation like this before where a mate that likes a drink is well in front of the rest of us. It is funny seeing a mate ride himself off. As professional footballers in a hotel, interstate, representing the RFC it's not good enough to have not acted. To sit there and think, hmm not my problem he'll embarrass himself and the club but not me - Is not good enough. No leadership was shown as friends and a lesser extent team mates.

If it were me that didn't act and help a mate out that is in the public eye and representing my footy club, I'd cop the 1 week ban on the chin and make sure next time my team mates were enjoying a quiet drink that it stays that way and as professional athletes if anything the healthy amount of alcohol is consumed.

They shouldn't even be drinking during the season anyway.
Go Tigers!

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »
good post Popey :)

Ox

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
Ox.

It IS totally unacceptable to be up drinking at 3am. They had a recovery session the night before. You could be sympathetic if it was someones birthday celebrations or engagement or 300th game even. What were they celebrating. You don't need to get on the pee at 3am to have a good time. Your an AFL footballer you sacrifice some of the simple pleasures of life, and one of them is the ability to get on the pee at 3am and act like a goose. Can't handle it, well then get out. Go play for a local league club for 50k a year and get sloshed after every game if it's that important. What do I expect players to do if they can't sleep? Ge anything but get on the pee. Watch TV, listen to some tunes there are other forms of entertainment other than getting on the pee cause I'm not tired. Weak as pi$$ excuse Ox.

8 weeks may be strong but ge he if anyone was having doubts about whether getting on the gas and having a bender during the season was a good idea. Well that's completely gone now. That is a good thing.

Crucified as Individuals... That isn't even remotely true. For a start they were punished as a group for not policing Connors. They each made a decision to not act. Surely all us guys that enjoy a drink have been in a situation like this before where a mate that likes a drink is well in front of the rest of us. It is funny seeing a mate ride himself off. As professional footballers in a hotel, interstate, representing the RFC it's not good enough to have not acted. To sit there and think, hmm not my problem he'll embarrass himself and the club but not me - Is not good enough. No leadership was shown as friends and a lesser extent team mates.

If it were me that didn't act and help a mate out that is in the public eye and representing my footy club, I'd cop the 1 week ban on the chin and make sure next time my team mates were enjoying a quiet drink that it stays that way and as professional athletes if anything the healthy amount of alcohol is consumed.

They shouldn't even be drinking during the season anyway.

Ok.
I agree on some points regarding Connors now that i have found out the kid is a A1 alcoholic.

8 Weeks is justified,perhaps but 6 weeks of no training is not only riduculous but plain stupidity especially when the kid was moving forward.
Under the current plan w,he will be lucky to be match fit in 12 weeks.Lucky.-Rd 17 ?

How do you police an alcoholic?
Once it's going down there's no stopping them...and they drink the first 6 as though they were water.
Bang -all of a sudden he's acting like an arshole.
Good luck Popey.
How do we know Cousns didnt stay around to keep an eye on things...i thionk he did.
It's the clubs position to send Minders along when there is a pre existing condition in regards to somebodies "illnes" OR provide counselling.

You say they shouldn't have been drinking during the season -  i used to support this view but have since accepted that such a statement is ludicrous.
Every club in the comp has players who soup on and the list increases as the season goes on.
It's the part of the games culture that is and will remain unchanged.Silenced but unchanged.
You're a smart fella Popey.Surely you know this deep down.

Cousins wasn't even peeed....

Ox

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »

Dan has a little bit of history with that sort of thing so we felt ... the whole situation could have been averted if someone had stood up and said, 'Listen, enough's enough'.

U mean like the club should have moths ago ????

"The other guys tried their best, but I just don't think they handled the situation well enough.
"If someone had the balls to stand up and say, 'Dan, enough's enough, go to bed', none of that would have happened.''

Yeh and if we hadn't been such a poo club you would't have ever coached.
Moron,

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
8 Weeks is justified,perhaps but 6 weeks of no training is not only riduculous but plain stupidity especially when the kid was moving forward.
Under the current plan w,he will be lucky to be match fit in 12 weeks.Lucky.-Rd 17 ?
I beleive he is allowed to train and play at Coburg, but not Richmond

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »

Ok.
I agree on some points regarding Connors now that i have found out the kid is a A1 alcoholic.

[/quote]

that's still enough time to be fit for finals...it's appropriate under the circumstances :cheers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Ox

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
I beleive he is allowed to train and play at Coburg, but not Richmond

even that's a wishy washy decision.

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »
There's a difference between having a few quiet ones and getting completely ratarsed at 3am and being outa control, Ox.

Of course the players drink a bit.  But Connors shouldn't have got in that state.  With him one is too many and twenty is not enough!