Author Topic: A comment on our current list  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
A comment on our current list
« on: November 24, 2004, 02:00:24 AM »
I've just been looking over of list as it stands right now and trying to predict what changes might be made to it at the end of next season. Ive divided the list into 4 categories:

1. Safe - Will remain on the list.
2. Line Ball - Players that aren't completley safe but are better than Categories 3 and 4
3. Have to step up to meet the challenge or their gawn.
4. Gawn.

These players I feel will remain on our list at the end of next season despite how we go.
There is 18 in this list, lots of kids and basically the senior core of our side.
No one from this group will be offloaded.

Bowden - Senior
Brown - Senior
Coughlan - Mid Range
Deledio - Kid
Jackson - Kid
Johnson - Senior
Krakouer - Mid Range
Limbach - Kid
McGuane - Kid
Meyer - Kid
Pattison - Kid
Polo - Kid
Raines - Kid
Richardson - Senior
Roach - Kid
Simmonds - Senior
Tambling - Kid
Gilmour - kid

This next group is what I term lineball, they are neither definitely safe nor definitely going but could go either way. Would really need a dreadful season to be on the way out at the end of this season as there are alot that will and should go before them.
There are 6 in this group

Hyde
Hartigan
Newman
Shultz
Stafford
Gaspar

This group has to step up and meet the challenge or their gawn.
If this group steps up we could have a far better year than we have all anticipated, this group is fighting for it's careers whether it be with us or another club.
There are 11 in this list.

Archibald - injury prone and with the huge batch of kids over the last two drafts and the probability of getting more next year could be in a bit of strife.
Chaffey - on his last legs
Graham - on a one year contract will have to do something special to get an extension.
Hall - Trade bait
Hilton - injury prone, again will have to do something outstanding to be retained.
Kellaway - Has to step up.
Morrison - Has to step up
Moore - Wont make it.
Pettifer - Has to step up, possible trade.
Rodan - Will probably trade, has to step up to prove his value to other clubs if he wants to continue playing the game.
Tivendale - Trade bait, has to step up.
Tuck - a bit unlucky, but will have to do something a little special to be retained, with all the kids we've got.

This last group are the gawns:

Campbell - retirement
Zantuck - prison (joke)

Next year I can see another dozen players leaving our club either through Delistment or trading, by then a full clean out of our list should be complete and we should have a large batch of kids comming through that haven't been stained by poor coaching and know that when you play a game of football the object of it is to win not just be competitive and make up the numbers. :thumbsup

The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: A comment on our current list
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 12:43:06 PM »
Interesting listing Rodger.

just on a couple of them

Gaspar - he is contracted and seeing he took a massive paycut this year I think subject to form he'll be staying.

Schulz - will stay he is a long term player. 2005 he will actaully be given a set position and kept there. Will be good for him

Hartigan - I think this kid is a long term leader at this footy club

Moore - clearly needs ot bulk up but reads the play so well and now with a decent coach I think he is a nother long term player. Also 2005 is his first full year on a senior list I thnk he had to be given a 2 year contract. So he'll be staying.

Archibald - I don't think he can be called injury prone. He had OP for most of this season - granted a bad case of it but it was his only injury. Cog's seems to have an OP problem too - and I don't think we call him injury prone.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 01:31:11 PM »
Next years candidates for the departure lounge are -

Campbell
Hilton
Chaffey
Pettifer
Stafford
Morrison
Rodan
Hall
Hyde
Zantuck
Kellaway
Tuck

The rest are 100% safe.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 01:33:30 PM by Harry Hedgehog »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 01:47:19 PM »
Interesting listing Rodger.

just on a couple of them

Gaspar - he is contracted and seeing he took a massive paycut this year I think subject to form he'll be staying.

Schulz - will stay he is a long term player. 2005 he will actaully be given a set position and kept there. Will be good for him

Hartigan - I think this kid is a long term leader at this footy club

Moore - clearly needs ot bulk up but reads the play so well and now with a decent coach I think he is a nother long term player. Also 2005 is his first full year on a senior list I thnk he had to be given a 2 year contract. So he'll be staying.

Archibald - I don't think he can be called injury prone. He had OP for most of this season - granted a bad case of it but it was his only injury. Cog's seems to have an OP problem too - and I don't think we call him injury prone.

I agree on Gaspar, Shultz and Hartigan. As I said in the post these players would have to seriously stuff up to be off loaded and if their contracted then they will definetly be staying unless they pull a Zantuck.

Hartigan is going to be seriously tested over the next two to three years by the up comming kids, he's going to have to come up another couple of notches, but I agree with you he looks like he could do well.

I don't know the status of Moore's contract so if he has one for two years then obviously he will be staying. My personnel opinion on Moore is that he is another David Bourke, he might last 2-3 years but that's it.

Archibald needs to get on the ground and I can't see that happening, has missed alot of football. At least with Coughlan we know what he can do, we know what he is capable of. More time and space will be afforded to Coughlan than what we will give to Archibald by a long way and rightly so IMO.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 05:01:37 PM »
A fairly accurate assessment of our list there RR. The only changes I would make is Schulz up to the "safe" category and Hyde down to the third one. 2005 will only be Sarge's third season so although we should expect improvement and more consistency from him, IMO as a tall he'll be given time to develop which would include 2006. On the other hand, Hyde has been in the system a while now and 2004 was the first year he showed he wasn't a complete "dud". Although he's improved he would need to improve by the same amount again to keep his spot on our list in 2006 IMO. With many of the new kids similar in size and playing position to Hyde coming through there's going to be significant pressure on Chris this year to show he belongs at this level.

I agree with WP on Gas. I think he'll stay too. At 29 years of age, contracted and struggling to come back from an ACL reco, I don't reckon any other Club will go near him come trade time next year.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 07:42:53 PM »
I think Hartigan and Newman will be tested but they will be ok imho. Hartigan at worst will develop into the second run with/tag player in the midfield, Newman- isnt a bad option in the back pocket. the rest of the list is fine. Just shows how stuffed we are ... Ive had a look at the list and Ive come to the conclusion we are atleast 5-8 seriously talented players away from winning a flag over the next 5 years. And thats alot of players. I will set up another thread outlining my view...and I hope you guys can give some feed back...besides its been a slow day and I had nothing to do at work this afternoon! :cheers

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 10:00:10 PM »
Campbell - Will retire end of 2005, unless completely re-invented as a forward.

Hilton - Depends on whether he gets over his injury.  I really like this guy around the club, and is courageous and skillful (most times).  The other players like him, and he is a good rolemodel for the younger guys.   I hope he plays some consistent footy next year, or he may be in trouble in 2005.

Chaffey - After 2004, where the kid went to pot, I think everyone is a little too harsh.  Chaffey has not been playing the game long (as others his age), so hopefully 2004 was a one off crap year.  If he has a poor 2005 likely to be traded.

Pettifer - One more year to fullfill his potential.  Too many young kids coming through to give him any more time.

Stafford - Good to hear he has revised his contract.  Mad as a cut snake and plenty of biff in him.  He will retire when too injured to continue or the Tigers beleive we no longer need him

Morrison - 2005 is his year to prove he is not another Luke Weller.  Will be delisted if he cannot prove his worth

Rodan -  I think this guy has known this for a long time that he needs to step up.  I am holding back judging him.

Hall - Needs a huge 2005 to get to Sydney

Hyde - One good year at the Tigers is no longer good enough.  Just ask Fiora.  Must continue to improve

Zantuck - Gone 2004. Do not worry about it

Kellaway - Will retire at Richmond.  If we picked up Mark Graham, Kellaway will remain at the club.

Tuck - Agreed.  Needs a go in the seniors to find out if he has what it takes.

Newman - Will he play better (ala 2003) with Cogs in the team?  Link man, but because of his size, will always have competition for his spot in the team

That would be about it for me.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 08:16:15 AM »
Watched round 18, 2002 last night when we beat Melbourne by 5 points....after having a 46 point lead :scream. Was our first win in nine games.

Chaffey continually turned the ball over. He was supposedly playing a loose man in defence and all he was, was loose ::) He couldn't or wouldn't block the hole in front of Neitz.

I think he's had long enough - I find him the most frustrating player on our list. Opposition coaches don't bother manning him up when we're kicking out....they want him to have the ball, cause they know it's coming right back to them :-\.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 08:59:55 AM »
Spot on BG!

Chaffey has to go, he doesnt have the skills nor the heart to be an AFL player, the amounts of times he turns the ball over is staggering, i'll be very surprised if he remains at the end of this year.

froars

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 09:24:08 AM »
I like Chaff although i admit his last year was abysmal.  Before that, i thought he'd been growing each year as a player - and i'm expecting him to return to previous good form under Wallace.