Author Topic: Quarter season Football Report: Craig Cameron (RFC site)  (Read 3291 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Quarter season Football Report: Craig Cameron (RFC site)
« on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
Football Report: Craig Cameron

By Richmond General Manager of Football, Craig Cameron
5:56 PM Wed 05 May, 2010

A quarter of the way through the 2010 home-and-away season, I thought it was an appropriate time to share with Richmond supporters, the football department’s assessment of where we are at . . .

From the outset, we knew it was going to be a tough year, bringing in 14 young players to replace the more than 1100 games of experience that departed Punt Road at the end of the 2009 season, through the likes of Matthew Richardson, Joel Bowden, Kane Johnson, Nathan Brown, Mark Coughlan and Kayne Pettifer.

We made the decision to play some of our new players early on, so they could get a taste of what was needed for them to become consistent AFL performers.  As with most inexperienced young players, their form has fluctuated a fair bit.  But some of them have shown that they can definitely cut it at the level, which is exciting for our future plans.

At the moment, we’re not winning games, which is certainly disappointing for everyone involved with the Club.  But the fact that some of the young players we have brought in this year, look like they have what it takes to make the grade, is particularly pleasing.

Dustin Martin is leading our clearances up to this point of the season and he’s displayed an on-field maturity far beyond his years.  It’s rare for a young player to have such an impact in an inside-midfield role so early on in his career.  Ben Nason has demonstrated  that he is very comfortable at the level, with his decision-making and his disposal skill.  And, Dave Astbury has shown that he also makes really good decisions and, for a tall player, he’s quite flexible.  He was moved into defence during last Sunday’s match against Geelong, and appeared comfortable there.  Those three have been the stand-outs of the young players who have debuted for us so far this season.  Another young player, in Mitch Farmer, has really had a crack for us since coming over from Port Adelaide, where he’d managed just three senior games in two years. He’s certainly shown promising signs that he, too, could become a long-term player for us.

So, that’s four additions this year, who have already had an impact at the level.  Some of the other young players we have given a senior opportunity to, have shown some glimpses of their potential.  And, there are a few more who we expect will get their chance before the season’s out as well.

One of the other positives out of a poor start to the season, is that Shane Tuck, who was wondering whether his career was at the crossroads, has taken the bit between the teeth and shown us that he can play in a different role as a defender and, on occasions, still go into the midfield to provide drive with his ability to win contested possession.  It’s a credit to his character that he’s been able to respond the way he has.

Jack Riewoldt has attracted some media criticism in the early part of this season, which we think is unfair.  It’s worth pointing out that Jack is still only 21 and has played just over 50 games of AFL football.  We’re asking him to be the linchpin of our forward line and I think he’s doing a good job in the circumstances. He battles his heart out each week for us, and has managed to kick 13 goals in the opening six rounds of the season.  Those media critics just don’t understand the leadership qualities Jack possesses as a young man.

As disappointing as 100-point defeats, such as the one we suffered down at Geelong last Sunday are, it doesn’t mean we’re suddenly further away from achieving our ultimate goals.  It doesn’t in any way take our focus away from the bigger picture, or change any of our plans for the future.

I have been extremely impressed with the manner in which Damien Hardwick has conducted himself throughout what has obviously been a tough start to his senior coaching career.  Damien has been very consistent with the messages he’s given the players, right from the start of pre-season, about sticking to the process that we’re going through, and trying to adapt to our new game plan.  His messages to the players on where they have fallen down have been consistently constructive and clear.

It’s fair to say, however, that he did get a bit hot under the collar after Sunday’s game, which is fair enough.  When you lose by 100 points, it’s clearly not just a form and an ability issue.  He was disappointed with that effort, and I’m sure we’ll see the players perform much better against Adelaide on Sunday, following a fairly intensive week on the training track.

So, what can Richmond supporters look forward to for the remainder of the season?  Well, firstly, I think they will see a significant improvement in the way the team moves the ball.  As the young players gain more experience, their confidence will grow, and that will have a flown-on effect with an improvement in their ball use.

Over the next four months, as previously mentioned, we will provide senior opportunities for a few more of our new, young players, where possible.  And, I would expect that some of our younger players will start to convince Tiger supporters that the Club, indeed, has a bright future.

We are also keen to extend senior opportunities to any other players who deserve a run because, at the end of this season, we need to know the exact capabilities of every member of our playing list.  So we will ensure that we give everyone as much game time as their form warrants.

Once the season is over, we will again be making a number of changes to our playing list, as we strive to bolster our depth of talent.  With three full-time recruiting people, along with Blair Hartley, who joined us late last year from Port Adelaide, we feel we’re well placed to do this.

Blair, in his role as the Club’s Opposition and List Analyst, is heavily involved with looking at talent acquisition from within other AFL clubs.  This will form an important part of our recruiting operations at the end of this year and into the future, particularly with the introduction of two new clubs in Gold Coast and Western Sydney.  We need to search for players outside the traditional pathways.  Clearly, if we have an early selection in the draft, then that will come via the traditional pathways (ie TAC Cup).  But we will broaden our recruiting horizons in a bid to find the necessary talent to bolster our playing list and, with Blair now on board, we anticipate being quite active in the trade market.  We’re one of the first AFL clubs to have a fully-resourced trading division in our overall recruiting structure, so we are confident we’ll be capably equipped to make smart decisions with regards to trades, moving forward.

Finally, a lot has been made about the National Draft at the end of this year and how it’s not a good time to be “bottoming out”, with Gold Coast having so many early picks.  Well, I can assure you there will still be talented players available at our draft selections. AFL history is full of examples of later draft drafts, who have become very good players.

The whole issue of bottoming out is an interesting one, too, because it’s difficult to pinpoint the actual time when you bottom out.  We brought 14 new players into the Club late last year, and have drafted quite a few other young players over the past two or three years, including the highly-talented Trent Cotchin, so I don’t agree that we’re going to be as disadvantaged as what many others in the football world would have you believe.  We have a substantial group of young players on our list and we’ll add to that at the end of the year, as well as find some more experienced, bigger-bodied players, who can help us out as well. 

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/93708/default.aspx

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Quarter season Football Report: Craig Cameron (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »
The whole issue of bottoming out is an interesting one, too, because it’s difficult to pinpoint the actual time when you bottom out. 

Well we've our last dozen games by an avg of 10 goals+, you saying it might get even worse?
This guy is starting to give me the 5hit5.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Regardless of your opinion on this particular article/author, one thing that has been very noticeable from the club this year has been the substantial increase in communication with it's members and supporters, and in that regard whoever (collectively) is responsible should be applauded.  The only way we will survive this dark patch is by engaging our support base and the club's efforts in this area are both obvious and appreciated.  Well done.  :gotigers

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »
Craig Cameron is an imbecile.

How about telling us something that we dont know.

The only reason why this article came out is because we got pumped by over 100 points. If the margin was less than 50, this would never have been written.

Reminds me of that email Greg Miller sent to us members apologising after yes that other smashing by Geelong.

i love the bit how he says we are the very first club to have a fully resourced trading division so tell me genious was this the same "division" that recruited Thomson and Hislop. Farmer i very much doubt will be that much chop. The other 3 yes.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »
Regardless of your opinion on this particular article/author, one thing that has been very noticeable from the club this year has been the substantial increase in communication with it's members and supporters, and in that regard whoever (collectively) is responsible should be applauded.  The only way we will survive this dark patch is by engaging our support base and the club's efforts in this area are both obvious and appreciated.  Well done.  :gotigers

Wallet was the master communicator. :rollin

(see sig)

Well we've our last dozen games by an avg of 10 goals+, you saying it might get even worse?

Fair chance of it.

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 09:31:27 PM »
anticipating to be quiet active in the trade market.

interesting...

i don't know but i think recruiting wise this year we have been pretty clever indeed. We went best available at 3 but after that we focused on tall KPP players in Griffiths & Astbury. The relative scarcity of these types of player and high demands surely means this pool of kids will be the most diluted in the next draft. This allows us more freedom in picking up better players from the less diluted group ie the mids, clever!!

We also picked up as many kids as we could from the last uncompromised draft, by the sounds of it the next draft/trade period is when we will look at recruiting slightly mature bodies (21-24yo), when there isnt as many kids available. It seems like an actual multi year plan for once which is kinda nice to see. I mean you can say the recruiting of players like robbie hicks and dea were poor choices i dont really think they expect these guys to be influencing games for another 2-3 years.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:38:30 PM »
Craig Cameron is an imbecile.

How about telling us something that we dont know.

The only reason why this article came out is because we got pumped by over 100 points. If the margin was less than 50, this would never have been written.

Reminds me of that email Greg Miller sent to us members apologising after yes that other smashing by Geelong.

i love the bit how he says we are the very first club to have a fully resourced trading division so tell me genious was this the same "division" that recruited Thomson and Hislop. Farmer i very much doubt will be that much chop. The other 3 yes.

i swear when we start winning and get into the top for that will meen the end of this fourm cause all i keep hearing is how crap we are and how crap we have been and are going to get ... sorry its just i would like to see some postive things from the richmond football club we can discuss  :-\

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:49:27 PM »

i swear when we start winning and get into the top for that will meen the end of this fourm cause all i keep hearing is how crap we are and how crap we have been and are going to get ... sorry its just i would like to see some postive things from the richmond football club we can discuss  :-\

There are positives TTID so don't drop the ball now because you are struggling to find them among the mountain of manure that the doomsday merchants on here like to bombard you with.  Dig through the mountain and you will find your nuggets of gold, hang on to them and keep digging - before you know it the mountain will be all golden and you won't find a poster on here willing to admit they didn't believe!    ;)  :thumbsup
:gotigers

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:07:18 PM »
Had a chat with a guy who is studying Sports MAnagement and is a genius at SuperCoach/Dream team etc. Wants to be a list manager for the AFL.

He said that looking at Melbourne and Richmonds list the young talent is pretty much identical.

The difference being is that Melbourne's older players are on avg 2-3 years younger than Richmonds. If Green, McDonald, Bruce, Miller etc were a year older Melbourne would be stuffed. Melbourne are winning on teh back of Green getting 25+ posses and scoring goals as well as Bruce playing a really good quarter back role and McDonald having his best year in the midfield. Melbourne don't have Jack Watts starring, they don't have Trengove winning the clearances in the AFL so the differences between us and Melbourne are very little when you take out there older teir.

Compare Green, Bruce, McDonald with ours Cousins, Tuck and Simmonds

and middle tier:
Bate, Davey and Moloney with Newman, Jackson and Moore.

Melbourne win both teirs but the teir that will win either club a premiership is the main core tier which is the youth. And Richmond probably wins out with the core of the youth being:

Deledio, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt vs Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Watts

Just thought it was interesting to have a look at. In 3 years time Melbourne will be without Green, Bruce and McDonald the players that are consistently in there top 3-5 each week. Where as in 3 years we will have lost Simmonds Cousins and Tuck with Cousins making small impacts, Simmonds if anything an donly Tuck having some influence.

Interesting comparisons anyway.
Go Tigers!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »
The Craig Cameron article is laughable.
He states about "'broadening the horizon "" on recruiting.
Thats like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.
Look at Freo in regards to there recruits, and The Hawks ''Hiding "" Peterson at Aberfeldie for year etc etc.
And GWS have people watching nearly every Senior Game across the country and there not in the AFL yet ::)
Shows they have little idea at Punt Rd , Cameron especially. :banghead

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45:57 PM »
Had a chat with a guy who is studying Sports MAnagement and is a genius at SuperCoach/Dream team etc. Wants to be a list manager for the AFL.

He said that looking at Melbourne and Richmonds list the young talent is pretty much identical.

The difference being is that Melbourne's older players are on avg 2-3 years younger than Richmonds. If Green, McDonald, Bruce, Miller etc were a year older Melbourne would be stuffed. Melbourne are winning on teh back of Green getting 25+ posses and scoring goals as well as Bruce playing a really good quarter back role and McDonald having his best year in the midfield. Melbourne don't have Jack Watts starring, they don't have Trengove winning the clearances in the AFL so the differences between us and Melbourne are very little when you take out there older teir.

Compare Green, Bruce, McDonald with ours Cousins, Tuck and Simmonds

and middle tier:
Bate, Davey and Moloney with Newman, Jackson and Moore.

Melbourne win both teirs but the teir that will win either club a premiership is the main core tier which is the youth. And Richmond probably wins out with the core of the youth being:

Deledio, Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt vs Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Watts

Just thought it was interesting to have a look at. In 3 years time Melbourne will be without Green, Bruce and McDonald the players that are consistently in there top 3-5 each week. Where as in 3 years we will have lost Simmonds Cousins and Tuck with Cousins making small impacts, Simmonds if anything an donly Tuck having some influence.

Interesting comparisons anyway.
Valid points mate!
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:57:58 PM »
The Craig Cameron article is laughable.
He states about "'broadening the horizon "" on recruiting.
Thats like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.
Look at Freo in regards to there recruits, and The Hawks ''Hiding "" Peterson at Aberfeldie for year etc etc.
And GWS have people watching nearly every Senior Game across the country and there not in the AFL yet ::)
Shows they have little idea at Punt Rd , Cameron especially. :banghead

Just because they havent recruited ready made Judds and J Brown doesnt mean they have instantly failed. Our history of development isnt crash hot but given upgrades of facilities you would think that the chances of richmond players making it has to be improved. I think you have gone early on ripping into the current recruits (and jumping on the freo band wagon, just quietly). I'm probably being naive, but i don't think i could follow a team thinking the way you do, in eternal pessimism.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:38:27 PM »
I am just realistic.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »
I am just realistic.

if you want to be truly realistic, reality would suggest that if we picked up Barlow he would be turning it over with constant clangers infected with the virulent kicking disease prevelent at punt road. Then you would be complaining why we picked up some dud.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame