Author Topic: Former Players join boardroom battle  (Read 6813 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Former Players join boardroom battle
« on: November 28, 2004, 02:34:18 AM »
Tigers' heroes of old join boardroom battle
By Caroline Wilson
The Age
November 28, 2004

When perhaps the most beloved living Tiger of all takes a side in the coming Richmond board election, you know you have a battle on your hands.

People who know Francis Bourke have been staggered to learn of his strength of feeling regarding the need for change at Punt Road Oval and that the five-time premiership player has gone as far as putting his support for Charles Macek's ticket in writing.

Bourke, for a relatively brief time in his glorious career, was part of football's famous centreline - Bourke, Bill Barrott and Dick Clay - with Clay also providing written support in a bid to oust Clinton Casey.

In fact, Bourke and Clay are two of eight former players to have put their names to Macek's campaign document to be released over the next few days.

The more recently retired Brendon Gale, soon to take over as chief executive of the AFL Players Association, and Paul Broderick are also said to have taken a stand against Casey in the yet-to-be-released literature.

While Barrott has not put his name to the Macek campaign document, both he and Royce Hart have told the challengers they will happily speak out on behalf of the challengers.

Meanwhile, the Casey camp continues to run an impressive campaign. Although the Richmond president's ticket is not yet completed, he has over the past week hosted a feel-good barbecue at his Hawthorn home to welcome the Tigers' hot new draft picks, to which a widespread section of the media was also invited.

From all reports it was a function reminiscent of those that took place many years ago in a back garden not so many suburbs away where the club once celebrated premierships.

You would have to say that the AFL's equalisation philosophy certainly works when the two clubs that finished 15th and 16th on the AFL ladder are celebrating in November while Port Adelaide and the Brisbane Lions cannot.

And yet, interestingly, the Casey barbecue provided a subtle demonstration of how divided the Richmond Football Club has become. While some club corporate supporters and coterie groups were invited to welcome the Tigers' new players - and they are impressive - others were not.

The President's Club, which boasted 63 members when Casey became president five years ago but now has only 29, each contribute at least $9000 a year to Tigerland but were not included at the function. The more recently formed Tiger Executive - a coterie group contributing $5000 a head - was well represented.

It is understood that some 80 per cent of the President's Club plans to vote against Casey and he knows it. Rob Slade, a prominent member, turned on the president publicly several months ago.

This is an election campaign, all right, and Casey, while admitting to having been naive in a football sense when he took on the job at the end of 1999, is an astute politician.

He has barely spoken to The Age since this column suggested his time had come following his handling of former chief executive Ian Campbell's disastrous tenure (Casey largely blamed the AFL for recommending him), the projected $2 million-plus loss, the on-field performance, the handling of Danny Frawley and the board instability.

Against that, of course, is that four of the opposing ticket have been there before - although none as president - and that the club does appear to be moving forward in a positive financial direction following yet another external strategic plan put together by the AFL-recommended Crowe-Lovett team.

However, it is known that Casey is still pushing, as he has all year, to unearth a former player for his ticket following the Rex Hunt debacle before final nominations close next week.

Footballers past and present make popular campaign partners, as besieged veteran Essendon director Alec Epis learnt last week when Matthew Lloyd took the extraordinary step of supporting him in the coming board battle at Windy Hill.

As it stands, Casey has lost another director in Motorola boss Alan Niklos, who quit three days ago for business reasons, while Rob Turner, who opposed Frawley's contract extension and has been at odds with Casey at the board table, has been subtly tapped on the shoulder and was last night considering his future.

Clearly, though, names such as Bourke and Clay make formidable opponents and it seems dreadful to imagine great players lining up against each other in the name of boardroom politics. He was not named Saint Francis lightly.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/11/27/1101495457238.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Former Players join boardroom battle
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 02:37:55 AM »
Barrot enters fray in Tigers' battle
28 November 2004   
Sunday Herald Sun

"BUSTLING" Billy Barrot, a linchpin in Richmond's famous centreline of the 1960s, has yet to decide where he stands in the club's power struggle.

But Barrot disclosed yesterday he would meet people involved in the board election tomorrow to look at their plan for the future.

Barrot admitted he has been talking to people because he was interested in the club's welfare. "Apart from that, I cannot comment until I hear the full story," he said.

Speculation is mounting at Punt Rd several former Richmond greats from their glory years will be asked to add their name and support to the Charles Macek-led group challenging for the December 20 poll.

While speculation mounts that Francis Bourke wants a change at Punt Rd, perhaps the Tigers' greatest player, Royce Hart, dismissed rumours he had been approached to join either the board led by Clinton Casey or the opposition group.

Hart, who lives in Hobart, said yesterday: "I am too detached from it -- I have been away from it too long. They would have to send me messages by carrier pigeon."

But the former captain, best and fairest and star centre half-forward said he would have preferred Richmond to look at more key-position players in last weekend's national draft.

Hart said he was fearful that if Matthew Richardson, Greg Stafford or Troy Simmonds fell over, the Tigers could be in trouble.

Barrot, who was at Punt Rd on Friday, would not discuss who he might meet saying, "it could be three people, it could be 10 -- I'm telling you the truth -- I will know more next week."

He, too, had heard that Richmond was looking for support from the centreline of himself, Bourke and Dick Clay which helped Richmond win the 1967 and '69 premierships.

In June Clay, vice-president of the Tigers' past players association, told the Herald Sun: "I have received no approach at all by anybody. I've got no interest at all."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11517132%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 03:11:15 AM »
While Barrott has not put his name to the Macek campaign document, both he and Royce Hart have told the challengers they will happily speak out on behalf of the challengers.

Well someone is telling fibs. The Hun has Royce saying he is too far away from the action to get involved and Barrot meeting both sides this week.

The President's Club... each contribute at least $9000 a year to Tigerland... The more recently formed Tiger Executive - a coterie group contributing $5000 a head

I believe the President's Club is for two tickets not one. So they are roughly equal. Is that correct?

As it stands, Casey has lost another director in Motorola boss Alan Niklos, who quit three days ago for business reasons, while Rob Turner, who opposed Frawley's contract extension and has been at odds with Casey at the board table, has been subtly tapped on the shoulder and was last night considering his future.

Turner's been "considering his future" for a while now. Not surprised Frawley's contract extension is in some part behind the angst. If certain board members and challengers believe sacking the coach mid-contract is still an answer to our woes then good riddens. That's how we ended up with Spud in the first place. No one else wanted to go near us.

It'll be interesting who all the nominees for the election are. Only this week to go.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 10:19:12 AM »
Is Bill related to Trevor Barrot?
If he is it could explain why Caro assumes he is backing the alternative.
If they are related then I'm even more impressed that Bill is going to talk to both camps before deciding if he''ll back either.

For someone who is "close" to Richmond and whose stories usually have a sound basis for that reason, Caro seems to manage to convey a fair amount of misinformation.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

froars

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 10:33:03 AM »
Cousins i think Fish

And Caro - it's Barrot NOT Barrott  :rollin
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 10:37:59 AM by froars »

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 11:05:32 AM »
....For someone who is "close" to Richmond and whose stories usually have a sound basis for that reason, Caro seems to manage to convey a fair amount of misinformation.

Sadly people take as fact what they read in newspapers. If this turns out to be rubbish, can you see Caro printing a retraction?

The trouble is that there is a lot of testosterone flying about in this boardroom battle and there is no doubt that Schwab (owing to family history) has a lot of mates. I feel this is becoming more and more a kick Clinton out....because after all he's not a REAL Richmond man.....than what is really best for the club.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 10:31:53 AM »
Agree bg25.  It's unreal how the only time this group ever seem to bob up is when they can put the boots into Casey.  Why is that?  Never do they say anything about what they will do for the Club.  I just wonder how such narrow minded and reactionary people can bring success to RFC now when they couldn't in the past?  Casey might not be a true Richmond person in the eyes of some but, despite those views, to me, he seems to have done more to change the real areas holding RFC back than anybody else before him.  Why didn't or couldn't anyone before him have enough initiative or motivation to do that?  After all, weren't they more "Richmond" than he will ever be?

The tack that this group has taken just highlights the credibility and validity of their campaign. And such is the depth of mind within this group that Wood goes on KB's radio programme and says that Casey told him that he wouldn't cross the road to have coffee with half his Board.  I think that comment was supposed to be a killer blow to Casey and/or his ego.  Well, to people of such mentality, it could seem that way to them I suppose, but to me it just reinforces Casey's resilience.  Because, if we believe everything we read and hear, then all's not tickety boo within the Richmond boardroom.  Not good news I guess.  But, despite that, if any or all of it is true, RFC has still managed to create momentum and instill enthusiasm and hope amongst supporters, and we're still a long way from the next footy season.  Things even seem to be heading in the right direction, on and off the field.  Apparently while the RFC board is at loggerheads.

Interestingly enough though, Schwab cleared out because he couldn't work within the Boardoom environment and conditions at the time.  However, this sort of environment doesn't seem to stop Casey from continuing to make things happen.  He seems able to get on with things, regardless of the prevailing working environment and seems to have that ability to just push on unhindered, whatever comes his way.  I would rather someone who can roll with the punches being in charge of the future and direction of Richmond, rather than those who would simply roll over and play dead at the first sign of resistance.  And it would seem that Schwab and co. would need a nurse-maid and an endless supply of tissues to work within the environment Casey seems to have had to deal with in recent times.

It's fair to say that RFC has been a laughing stock for years.  Any embarrassment or negativity that comes along nowadays is simply water off a duck's back.  Just push on and get on with things.  What else can you do?  And that's what Casey seems able to do.  Through initiative, he has started the ball rolling on changing the mediocrity within the Club and done what no one before him could or would do.  For his efforts, he gets kicked in the guts, instead of getting credit for being proactive enough to attempt to change things.

Who knows how things will turn out, but there's more chance of positive change happening now than ever before.  Because it's been my belief that real success could never be possible until the culture of mediocrity was identified and something done to change it.  And until that happened, everything else that was done would ultimately mean nothing, without those changes first taking place.  Something that seems  never to have entered the Alternative ticket's thinking, which is no real surprise.

Instead their focus seems fixed on trying to discredit Casey, but all they ever do is shoot themselves in the foot.  And all we seem to hear from the Alternaitve group is repetitive and reactive mumbo jumbo.  What proactive thing have they ever outlined that could give you confidence that they are the real deal, when they continually make excuses as to why they can't do this or do that?  It's possible they just might know about finances, but they seem to have little idea or understanding about the real and deep-seated issues affecting RFC and running a football club.  Their entire campaign lacks real focus and any sort of balance or vision.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 10:34:38 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 10:52:52 AM »
I’ve actually been wondering if Danny’s contract is where this really started, MT.  Because none of this makes sense.  Why, for at about four years was Casey unopposed as President?  But suddenly, towards the end of last year, and not long after the Club dug its heels in about Danny’s contract, all this stuff starts to come to the surface.

I agree, good riddance to any of those whose mentality was to sack Danny mid contract.  They clearly belong on the Alternative ticket, because that’s the sort of backward thinking, and lack of understanding of how to fix the deep-seated cultural problems within the Club, they seem to have.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 02:21:02 PM »
I’ve actually been wondering if Danny’s contract is where this really started, MT.  Because none of this makes sense.  Why, for at about four years was Casey unopposed as President?  But suddenly, towards the end of last year, and not long after the Club dug its heels in about Danny’s contract, all this stuff starts to come to the surface.

I agree, good riddance to any of those whose mentality was to sack Danny mid contract.  They clearly belong on the Alternative ticket, because that’s the sort of backward thinking, and lack of understanding of how to fix the deep-seated cultural problems within the Club, they seem to have.

You could be on to something here TS.

The more this thing goes on the more convinced I am that Casey is actually the right person for President. Couldn't agree more with you about him being the only person in eons to actually start to change the culture there.

I think he has got noses out of joint, because he is dragging us kicking and screaming into to the modern football world. Sure not everything has worked, but at least he is willing to try something different...hey if at first you don't succeed.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 04:32:43 PM »
In the last 2 financial years Caseys administration has lost close to $ 3 million and delivered a wooden spoon. last year he said we would break even this year and we lost $ 2 million, next year ive heard the club is forecasting a loss of 800,000 ... god help us!

If we lost another $ 2 million next year...can someone tell me...What Happens? Would we be solveny or insolvent? ....People... we are one year away from disaster! for all the bells and whistles...i think we should change. and even if it means Miller goes out the door...we should still change...because in in the end theres only one reality. our club is a famous club with a storied history...and if we lose huge money next year again...we may have no history because we may not have a club.

some people may say...that the AFL would never let that happen....maybe....but i say that if we are 5 or 6 million in debt by the end of next year...we wont win another flag for 50 years.

Im supporting change coz i have no alternative. I would have preferred a better alternative ticket...butr if its good enough for francis bourke...then its good enough for me!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 04:43:55 PM »

I've been wondering the same thing TS. There was a heap of pressure placed on the Club from "supporters" to sack Spud but the Club for once resisted for the sake of stability. That decision has of course has been vidicated. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of these "supporters" got their noses out of joint because the decision makers at the Club didn't cave in their wishes as per norm over the past 20+ years.   

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 04:52:05 PM »
Im supporting change coz i have no alternative. I would have preferred a better alternative ticket...butr if its good enough for francis bourke...then its good enough for me!

Everyone’s entitled to support whoever they choose.  But there’s no way known I’m gonna vote for just anyone.  Because no way known has the Alternative group shown that they have the answer to anything, least of all running a football club.

If they’re so interested in finance, go get involved in the finance industry.  This is a footy club and it requires more than just number crunchers to make it work.

If we were to lose Miller through all this then we might as well close up shop anyway, because he’s about the only one there that has the serious nous to change the things that need changing.

What’s with the scare campaign these people have running anyway?  That’s the only way they can generate support, I suppose.  The old tried and true political way of gaining support.  Go the scare tactics.

What about the AFL okaying things with the Club.  If it’s ok with them why isn’t it ok with this group?  Do they know something no one else knows?

I was more concerned about our ability to survive in this competition in the past than I am now.  So this group can take their scare mongering somewhere else.  It might work for some, but it has no credence with me.  And they have even less credence.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 04:55:21 PM »

Well someone is telling fibs. The Hun has Royce saying he is too far away from the action to get involved and Barrot meeting both sides this week.

The President's Club... each contribute at least $9000 a year to Tigerland... The more recently formed Tiger Executive - a coterie group contributing $5000 a head

I believe the President's Club is for two tickets not one. So they are roughly equal. Is that correct?

Turner's been "considering his future" for a while now. Not surprised Frawley's contract extension is in some part behind the angst. If certain board members and challengers believe sacking the coach mid-contract is still an answer to our woes then good riddens. That's how we ended up with Spud in the first place. No one else wanted to go near us.

It'll be interesting who all the nominees for the election are. Only this week to go.

Nice spin MT. But you've made no mention of the fact that Francis Bourke supports Casey being kicked out of the club. The point of the article is about Francis Bourke. You've gone a long way to ignore it.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 04:58:42 PM »
Agree bg25.  It's unreal how the only time this group ever seem to bob up is when they can put the boots into Casey.  Why is that?  Never do they say anything about what they will do for the Club.  I just wonder how such narrow minded and reactionary people can bring success to RFC now when they couldn't in the past?  Casey might not be a true Richmond person in the eyes of some but, despite those views, to me, he seems to have done more to change the real areas holding RFC back than anybody else before him.  Why didn't or couldn't anyone before him have enough initiative or motivation to do that?  After all, weren't they more "Richmond" than he will ever be?

The tack that this group has taken just highlights the credibility and validity of their campaign. And such is the depth of mind within this group that Wood goes on KB's radio programme and says that Casey told him that he wouldn't cross the road to have coffee with half his Board.  I think that comment was supposed to be a killer blow to Casey and/or his ego.  Well, to people of such mentality, it could seem that way to them I suppose, but to me it just reinforces Casey's resilience.  Because, if we believe everything we read and hear, then all's not tickety boo within the Richmond boardroom.  Not good news I guess.  But, despite that, if any or all of it is true, RFC has still managed to create momentum and instill enthusiasm and hope amongst supporters, and we're still a long way from the next footy season.  Things even seem to be heading in the right direction, on and off the field.  Apparently while the RFC board is at loggerheads.

Interestingly enough though, Schwab cleared out because he couldn't work within the Boardoom environment and conditions at the time.  However, this sort of environment doesn't seem to stop Casey from continuing to make things happen.  He seems able to get on with things, regardless of the prevailing working environment and seems to have that ability to just push on unhindered, whatever comes his way.  I would rather someone who can roll with the punches being in charge of the future and direction of Richmond, rather than those who would simply roll over and play dead at the first sign of resistance.  And it would seem that Schwab and co. would need a nurse-maid and an endless supply of tissues to work within the environment Casey seems to have had to deal with in recent times.

It's fair to say that RFC has been a laughing stock for years.  Any embarrassment or negativity that comes along nowadays is simply water off a duck's back.  Just push on and get on with things.  What else can you do?  And that's what Casey seems able to do.  Through initiative, he has started the ball rolling on changing the mediocrity within the Club and done what no one before him could or would do.  For his efforts, he gets kicked in the guts, instead of getting credit for being proactive enough to attempt to change things.

Who knows how things will turn out, but there's more chance of positive change happening now than ever before.  Because it's been my belief that real success could never be possible until the culture of mediocrity was identified and something done to change it.  And until that happened, everything else that was done would ultimately mean nothing, without those changes first taking place.  Something that seems  never to have entered the Alternative ticket's thinking, which is no real surprise.

Instead their focus seems fixed on trying to discredit Casey, but all they ever do is shoot themselves in the foot.  And all we seem to hear from the Alternaitve group is repetitive and reactive mumbo jumbo.  What proactive thing have they ever outlined that could give you confidence that they are the real deal, when they continually make excuses as to why they can't do this or do that?  It's possible they just might know about finances, but they seem to have little idea or understanding about the real and deep-seated issues affecting RFC and running a football club.  Their entire campaign lacks real focus and any sort of balance or vision.

Clinton Casey has been president for 5 years, and you're judging him on only his performance after this season ended. The same season we won the wooden spoon. If he was apppointed president for the post season, I'd agree with you, but he's been there 5 years. And he should be judged over the 5 years, not the last 5 weeks. And in those 5 years, he's not done what you're claiming. He's been a financial disaster for the club.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 05:04:43 PM »
1980, it's only been since Casey realised that we were going nowhere that he had to do something to change things.  Hence the appointment of Miller.  The changes made since his arrival and the subsequent appointments of Wallace and Wright have not had time to see any results as yet.  We need to give them that time first.

But people are hell bent on sabotaging things when it seems we actually have the deep seated problems within this Club finally nailed and we know what to do about them.

If people don't want Casey then don't vote for him.  But if they want things to change, don't vote for the Alternatives, they'll just take us back to what we had the last two or so decades.

Read the writing on the wall people.