Author Topic: Proud team reduced to paper Tigers (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3847 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Proud team reduced to paper Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« on: May 14, 2010, 01:50:14 AM »
Proud team reduced to paper Tigers
Sally Bennett
Herald Sun
May 13, 2010 9:09PM

THE trouble with footy fans is that they are so caught up in their emotions they cannot see what's good for them.

Like obsessed lovers trapped in tumultuous affairs, they are incapable of stepping back and surveying the landscape objectively.

Take Tiger fans, for instance, locked in wedded misery to a team that eternally disappoints. Not some of the time. Not but the good outweighs the bad. All of the time.

What the Tigers most need now is a bit of tough love. They need to be scared into action. They need a wake-up call, from the top down, and there's no one better placed to give it to them than the fans.

So, as a non-football fan of any club or code, but the mother of a Tiger tragic, here's some sensible, get-results advice.

Put your foot down, Richmond fans. Abandon those sorry losers. Cancel your memberships and don't turn up for games.

Would you show such "loyalty" and "passion" to a horrible spouse, or a dreadful boss, or an untrustworthy friend?

No. You'd tell them to stick it, eventually. Particularly if they let you down year after year and appeared to have few redeeming qualities.

When are you going to stop thinking with your hearts and start thinking with your heads? When are you going to get angry, instead of just shuffling off in resigned, pathetic acceptance? When are you actually going to react?

You don't have to cut them off forever, just become members of the Former Richmond Fan Club until the team proves itself worthy of your love. Set up a Facebook site, make up bumper stickers, whatever ... just do something.

At the moment you're behaving like doormats, allowing yourselves to be mistreated, disrespected and completely taken for granted.

Just as it is with a downtrodden lover, you are not doing yourselves any favours by playing the loyal, long-suffering fools. And you most certainly are not getting what you want.

If you don't feel able to abandon the troops while they "rebuild", ask yourselves honestly how many years you've been doing just that.

I encourage my son to have a second-best team, but there seems to be an unshakeable tradition that runs through Richmond fans of any age.

My son wouldn't do it to his father, who wouldn't have done it to his father, and so on.

But I bet some of the late fans now turning in their graves would be only too happy to

come back and give the Tigers a good swift kick in the pants.

In my son's 11 years, he has never seen the Tigers rise any higher than mediocre, yet it's water off a duck's back.

So, you see? The yellow and black passion is already dying a slow, painful death.

Cut that pack of losers loose, take a stand and make them earn your respect. They will if they have to.

Sally Bennett is a Herald Sun journalist

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/proud-team-reduced-to-paper-tigers/story-e6frfhqf-1225866310944

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Proud team reduced to paper Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:16:50 AM »
What a bitch.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:11:49 AM »
Shows a complete lack of comprehension of what a fan is.

Gigantor

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »
i'll stick with my tigers no matter what...but she's right with one thing......I'm mightily peeed off with anything Richmond at the moment

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 07:34:22 AM »
I couldn't help myself, I had to write a comment under the article on the site.  Here's what I wrote:

Sally Bennett should stick to writing whatever it is she is good at because this type of cheap shot at a club that is working it's collective butt off to correct the mistakes of the past is just a weak 'follow the pack' piece of crap journalism.  I don't know if she was trying to be funny or serious but it came off as neither - more like a schoolkid who joins in the bullying after others have shown there will be no repercussions.  Instead of taking the opportunity to reinforce to her son the positive qualities of loyalty, mateship and courage in adversity, she preaches run away when the going gets tough.  I'm thankful she's not my mother or mentor.

And as for the worth in following the Tigers?  Right now they need their supporters more than ever and the very large majority of them are doing just that, supporting their club unconditionally, much to the amazement and even jealous chagrin of other seemingly more successful clubs.  Life is more about the journey and so it is with Richmond.  Go and find another kid to kick while they're down - we'll be quite fine without you thanks.

Scrag.   >:(

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 08:01:33 AM »
I couldn't help myself, I had to write a comment under the article on the site.  Here's what I wrote:

Sally Bennett should stick to writing whatever it is she is good at because this type of cheap shot at a club that is working it's collective butt off to correct the mistakes of the past is just a weak 'follow the pack' piece of crap journalism.  I don't know if she was trying to be funny or serious but it came off as neither - more like a schoolkid who joins in the bullying after others have shown there will be no repercussions.  Instead of taking the opportunity to reinforce to her son the positive qualities of loyalty, mateship and courage in adversity, she preaches run away when the going gets tough.  I'm thankful she's not my mother or mentor.

And as for the worth in following the Tigers?  Right now they need their supporters more than ever and the very large majority of them are doing just that, supporting their club unconditionally, much to the amazement and even jealous chagrin of other seemingly more successful clubs.  Life is more about the journey and so it is with Richmond.  Go and find another kid to kick while they're down - we'll be quite fine without you thanks.

Its amazing that comment even got published.

In the past I've often tried writing to the 'sex and relationships' bimbo's on the news websites putting them in their place and not one got published.

FNM

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:29:39 AM »
It's amazing her son turned out so well-adjusted with her as his mother
Loyalty means nothing to her  :banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »

Its amazing that comment even got published.

In the past I've often tried writing to the 'sex and relationships' bimbo's on the news websites putting them in their place and not one got published.

Not sure that it will get published Jake.  I submitted it but can't see it on the site yet!   What's that you say?  A journalist that won't listen to or acknowledge both sides of a story!  :o

bushranger

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »
It's f-wits like her we don't need.
What a poor excuse for a story.
Yer kick us while we are down, that easy to do.
The best thing we can do now is rally behind our boys and show that dopey bitch.
That we are right behind them 100%.

I thought Walls was an idiot, but she gets the prize this year.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
This isnt going to be popular but IMHO what i believe is the following......

Women, in general should not be allowed to comment on football

whether is its Kelly Underwood or Sally Bennett, or carloline wilson for that matter, they lack the knowledge, forsight, experience or general brain capacity to contribute anything worthwhile. There I said it, and I really couldnt give two hoots how unpopular or politically incorrect my opinion is. :help

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
Nah I don't mind Sam lane, she does here research and doesn't embarrass herself, I admire her passion for the game and she would give any bloke a run on her knowledge.  Malthouse junior is ok too.  There is a female commentator that makes me squirm a bit because she trots out stupid cliches that are stupid when the men trot them out.....  She needs to chill out and do her own thing.  I have to admit her voice kind of grates on my nerves too, could be that I am not used to a female commentator for a football game.  Caro is an old campaigner, she is just getting a bit crusty (and beating up on us), but I wouldn't say she doesn't know her stuff.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »
I hope she dies in a freak yachting accident

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
after her on board deep fryer flips after a monster wave and splashes her with hot grease?
Lots of people name their swords......

Ramps

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 10:37:36 AM »

i agree with blaisee but disagree with your comment- no need for type of comment infamy!

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
I think she might be one who posts on this site alot in disguise.