Author Topic: Boardroom tickets finalised - Miller to run on Casey's ticket  (Read 25207 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Boardroom tickets finalised - Miller to run on Casey's ticket
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2004, 07:10:21 PM »
by god

can the current admin do anything wrong in your eyes????

The annual report arrived in the mail today so all Tiger members would be now aware of the current admin's $3m losses in 2 years and have it fresh in their minds. No hiding away from that fact for Casey and co. The wooden spoon may be tempered by Spud being replaced by Wallace and all the new kids.   

simply as a paid employee he should not get involved in it...

Can only agree with WP here and give the same answer. In theory agree with you HB but Miller believes these are desperate times b/w moving forward or returning to the past. Mike Sheahen says Miller shouldn't run because it's not in the RFC's best interests. I think it's safe to say Miller is thinking the opposite way. He obviously feels so strongly about our best interests that he's running to protect it. 

you can dress this up anyway you want but it is blatant scare tactics and is a disgrace

Neither side can take the high moral ground in that area.

no doubt i will get bagged but i really can't see how people have no problem
with what miller has done...

anyway it doesn't matter anymore because miller has pretty much ensured
that he and casey will win this election and i really hope the people who think
casey and co are turning the club around are right...i really do...

No bagging from these quarters HB for expressing your concerns and opinions and as WP said valid ones at that  :). Time will tell.
I'm willing to stick my neck out and support the recent changes and new direction. If I'm wrong then I'll cop it fair and square :cheers

It's hard to tell who'll "win". These forums combined would still be less than 1% of our total membership and are filled with pretty hardcore supporters. Who knows what the average mum and dad member is thinking at this stage. The newspapers and tv news have both positive and negative news about the Club. If they only read Caro's articles in The Age, God help them!  :scream.   
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 09:22:36 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2004, 07:35:40 PM »
by god

can the current admin do anything wrong in your eyes????

I don't see caros point about armstrong/miller but she is right about miller standing for the board

simply as a paid employee he should not get involved in it...

bottom line is people should vote based on who they  think is best for the club , not because they are scared
voting one way will lead to an important employee leaving..

you can dress this up anyway you want but it is blatant scare tactics and is a disgrace

if another club employee of some note was to come out in open support of the alterantive
everyone here woud be slamming them and the alternative..

as crap as the alternative is the current group is little better if at all..

where screwed whatever choice we make me thinks....

no doubt i will get bagged but i really can't see how people have no problem
with what miller has done...

anyway it doesn't matter anymore because miller has pretty much ensured
that he and casey will win this election and i really hope the people who think
casey and co are turning the club around are right...i really do...

Good on you Harry. After this election, Greg Miller's power at the RFC will be unchallenged. And this has been his agenda all along. To be the next Graeme Richmond. And that's why he made no effort to contact Kevin Sheedy, hiding behind Spud the whole time.

I'm already sharpening my pencils for him.

Everyone can be a Miller disciple. I may have been. But his leap into the political circus, beautiful timed like a true politician I might also add, opens him up to criticism.

And saving all mine for him now that Spud's gone.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2004, 08:15:24 PM »
However my question is this why are the being held responsible for Ziggy's shortcomings like the Tiger board are for in this elction campaign?

Did you mean "aren't being held responsible" WP?

yeah that's what I meant there should have been a n't or not in there. oops :P :lol
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2004, 08:24:01 PM »
Seems most of the independents have backed off if the rumour of there being potentially 35 candidates running was true. It's mostly down to a Casey's ticket vs Macek's ticket.

Does anyone know anything about the two independents off the top of their heads -Brian Dungey and Justin Ridge?

It does say valid nominations - perhaps a couple came in that didnn't have their "i's dotted and t's crossed"

I must say Jusitn Ridge rings a bell with me - I wonder if he nominated earlier this year for the January election?

We will know soon enough

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2004, 02:33:35 AM »
perhaps a couple came in that didnn't have their "i's dotted and t's crossed"

That's becoming a common theme with this election :-\

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
20 board candidates in mix at Tigerland
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2004, 04:49:21 AM »
20 board candidates in mix at Tigerland
5:44:14 PM Thu 2 December, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Richmond faces the prospect of more board turmoil even after the club's upcoming election with Tiger members having to decide between a massive 20 candidates for the nine vacant positions on the club's board.

Nominations for the Richmond board have now closed with two independents - Brian Dungey and Justin Ridge - also deciding to stand for election along with the rival nine person tickets led by current president Clinton Casey and challenger Charles Macek.

The biggest surprise was the decision of football director Greg Miller to nominate for the board as part of Casey's ticket in a bid to ensure the Richmond president remains in power.

However under Richmond's constitution the ballot papers are not allowed to show which candidate is aligned to which ticket - which could result in candidates from both rival factions being elected to a new board.

This would create further instability at Punt Road at a time when the club is attempting to rectify its dismal on-field fortunes through the recruitment of Terry Wallace as coach and the snaring of some of Australia's best youngsters in the recent national draft - led by Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling.

Ballot papers will be sent to the 21,500 Richmond members entitled to vote next week and must be returned to the club by December 17 ahead of the club's annual general meeting on December 22.

The 20 candidates will be simply be listed in alphabetical order with Richmond members having to tick the boxes of the nine candidates they wish to elect the board - raising the possibility of a split board given the high profile of several candidates from the rival factions.

While Miller - the man responsible for securing Wallace as coach - is arguably the most popular current figure at Punt Road and is seen as a huge boost to Casey's chances of re-election - the rival ticket led by Macek also contains well-known former board member Brendan Schwab as well as popular past players Peter Welsh and Bryan Wood.

Already the campaign has divided Richmond's passionate supporter base with Casey arguing the club is back on track following the appointment of Wallace as coach and the securing of Deledio and Tambling.

This is why Miller has decided to risk his position as football director by aligning himself to Casey, arguing that a change of board now would halt the club's recent momentum.

However the Macek group remains adamant it is time for a change of administration at Punt Road after a year in which the club not only finished last on the ladder for the first time since 1989 but lost a massive $2.2 million to take the club's combined losses to $3 million in the past two years.

Macek was a former board member of the Tigers during Neville Crowe's time as president while Schwab and Welsh were formerly part of Casey's board before resigning and aligning themselves with Macek.

The worst case scenario for the Tigers would be a new board made up of candidates from both rival factions - which could result in a further public spat for control of the club and a further fight for the presidency particularly if both Casey and Macek were elected to the same board.

And if Macek's group gains control of the club - which it could do by winning just five of the nine positions available - it could make the position of Miller as football director untenable although he is considered a certainty to win a place on the board in his own right.

A clean sweep of all nine positions by either rival faction is considered unlikely given the popularity of certain individuals with Richmond members in both the Macek and Casey camps.

And former players who are not standing for election could well have an impact on the result with already several Tiger legends led by Francis Bourke, Jim Jess, Dick Clay and Brendon Gale having come out in support of Macek.

Below are the nominations for the Richmond board in alphabetical order with their ticket they belong to listed alongside.

Trevor Barrot - Macek.
Garry Cameron - Casey.
Clinton Casey.
Robert Dalton - Casey.
Brian Dungey - Independent.
Robert Edgley - Macek.
Sharon Hall - Macek.
Michael Humphris - Macek.
Don Lord - Casey.
Charles Macek.
Gary March - Casey.
John Matthies - Casey.
Greg Miller - Casey.
Anthony Mithen - Casey.
Maurice O'Shannassy - Casey.
Colin Radford - Macek.
Justin Ridge - Independent.
Brendan Schwab - Macek.
Peter Welsh - Macek.
Bryan Wood - Macek.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=179521

froars

Achtung Baby!
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2004, 08:50:17 AM »
Anyone see that disgraceful bit of crap from that idiot Pahloff?
In trying to discredit Casey, i think he is getting Casey some sympathy votes.
I won't post the link, cos i can't lol

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Cool it says Rex
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2004, 01:03:19 PM »
Cool it Tigers, says Rex Hunt
05 December 2004   Sunday Herald Sun
By Jon Ralph

DUAL Richmond premiership player Rex Hunt has pleaded for compromise between the warring Tiger factions, calling on both rival boards to swallow their pride for the good of the club.

Hunt, whose bid to become vice-president of Richmond was rejected on the grounds he was not a voting member, said the two parties should follow the lead of Hawthorn and at least attempt to find common ground.

Hunt this week received a 2005 membership application and tax invoice, which informed him he had been a member of the club since 2003.

Amazed, he sought clarification, but was told his membership had lapsed last year, which only heightened the sense of farce regarding his ineligibility.

"It was as if I was on laughing gas," he said.

"If (Richmond) are saying I was a member in 2003 they actually (enrolled me) because I just assumed by being a past player and Tommy Hafey club member that it would put me into a membership of the club.

"You can argue that a $110 membership has actually cost the Richmond footy club my services as vice-president."

Hunt yesterday said he would return to the club to counsel players and help with sponsorship, but not until the wounds of the current brawl had healed.

"I have no desire to sit on a board or be vice-president if I am going to be fighting with my own," he said.

"However, if Terry (Wallace) or Clinton (Casey) or Charles (Macek) or whoever gets in rings me and says, 'Listen we need to talk to sponsors' or Terry says, 'I need you to talk to a couple of kids' . . . or they want me to host a luncheon . . . if they asked me that I would be only too willing to go down to Punt Rd to act as a mouthpiece to do what I do."

Hunt said he still felt bitter the rival faction had de-railed his bid to join the board, but he was determined not to take sides in the coming election.

"If the opposition cared for the Richmond footy club they would not have burnt someone who was prepared to give a lot of his time and a substantial amount of money to the club he loves," Hunt said.

"I will not return to Punt Rd until the Tigers are a team again, from the smallest supporter to the star player, to the coach and president.

"I am really happy Hawthorn are talking. I would like to see the same thing at Richmond.

"Nothing would make me more happy than to see a non-election year at Richmond and a few people from each side eating a fair bit of humble, for the sake of the club."

Casey's team, which now includes football director Greg Miller, is facing off against an alternate board led by Charles Macek (president), Brendan Schwab (vice-president) and Bryan Wood.

The rebel team has lured past greats including Francis Bourke, Jim Jess and Dick Clay.

Hunt believes the tit-for-tat fighting has become about wielding power, even though both sides have pledged to restore Richmond as an AFL powerhouse.

"My thoughts are not that clear, because the agenda is the same on both sides and that is for the betterment of the club," Hunt said. "There is good and bad on both sides, positive and negative on both sides.

"It would be easy for me to throw mud because I said I would back Clinton, but I am not aligning m

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11593345%255E20322,00.html

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cool it says Rex
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2004, 01:08:32 PM »
Hunt yesterday said he would return to the club to counsel players and help with sponsorship, but not until the wounds of the current brawl had healed.

"I have no desire to sit on a board or be vice-president if I am going to be fighting with my own," he said.

"However, if Terry (Wallace) or Clinton (Casey) or Charles (Macek) or whoever gets in rings me and says, 'Listen we need to talk to sponsors' or Terry says, 'I need you to talk to a couple of kids' . . . or they want me to host a luncheon . . . if they asked me that I would be only too willing to go down to Punt Rd to act as a mouthpiece to do what I do."

No doubt like you always do Rex - you will help the club anyway you can.  :thumbsup

But like the rest of us I think Rex is just sick of this whole saga and can see the egos are out of control :banghead

"If the opposition cared for the Richmond footy club they would not have burnt someone who was prepared to give a lot of his time and a substantial amount of money to the club he loves," Hunt said.

Unfortunately yes they would Rex - it's about egos egos and more egos

"I will not return to Punt Rd until the Tigers are a team again, from the smallest supporter to the star player, to the coach and president.

A team again..........argh............ how sweet would that be :help :bow

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2004, 05:01:23 PM »
Well said Rex. Yep this election is about egos and weilding power  :sleep as it's not about the future direction of the club because that's already been put into place over the past 3-4 months.

I'd guess the only thing I'm not in favour of is a compromise because that normally means at Richmond backroom wheeling and dealing while we as members are ignored. Despite being sick of all this tit-for-tat crap (and we still got another 10 days of it :P), I'm glad all members will have the final say in terms of a vote.

Election or no election sadly won't guarantee we will unite as a Club :'(.

froars

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2004, 07:18:58 PM »
I have just spent the last 6 hours fighting with fellow ferals over this stupid election.
It was supposed to be a nice BBQ and it was thanks to a bit of substance abuse (not the only one Ox baby lol), but you got no idea how heated up ppl are and so divided.
I did a poll and it was about even both sides
But this whole election is just divisive and really, really these idiots should grow up and get together and sort out a compromise for the good of the club!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2004, 11:22:42 PM »
Sighhhhhhh  :P Politics Politics Poiltics thank god this will soon be over.

I Like Rexys style trying to stay out of it so hopefully whichever way it goes he will be able to step in.

The main word is UNITY This will only be acheived by voting 1 or the other, I think mix and matching will not work which is unfortunate.

There will be people on both "sides" who could probably work together BUT who  ??? Not worth the risk in IMO

After all the recent positives I am really looking forward to seeing this chapter done - and we march of into the sunset as ONE  :thumbsup  :cheers

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2004, 03:07:21 PM »
Unity and Richmond.  There'd be a first CUB. :'( :help

Ultimately, members will decide the make up of the Board.  Whoever gets in, RFC will still exist.  It’s just a matter of how members decide they want it to exist.  And, despite my views, I’ll accept whatever members decide and hope people realise that our problems aren’t 5 or even 10 years old, but go back even further, and so will vote according to the long-term best interests of the Richmond Football Club and hopefully for those who can take us forward.

The concern I have, if the Alt. get in is that I don’t think Macek would stick around for long as Prez.  He said back in June that he didn’t have the time to commit to the Club, but suddenly has now.  Macek has been mostly silent throughout this campaign and it has only been in recent times that he has been heard of in public.

I still say that if they get in he won’t have the time to commit and will have to hand over to someone else.  That has to be a concern.  I don’t think their ticket could ultimately work, whoever was Prez. but I don’t see that they have anyone else who the majority would be confident in.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2004, 03:23:40 PM »

This would all be over if Casey stepped down as president. There would be no election, there would be no alternative, there would be no internal fighting tearing up the club.

One man has put himself before the club. One man puts his ego before the RFC. The moment he steps down, its all over.

I'd be happy if the current board continues on its way. Minus one person. Clinton Casey! The man who has brought all this trouble to the club by stubbornly sticking to his position when he should resign his post. If not for his failures over 5 years, for the fact that the club is bleeding.

stuffn egomaniac.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2004, 03:30:57 PM »
1980, you seriously believe that we have only had problems at this Club for the last 5 years?

No need to tell us about what has happend, we know, but just wanting to know what you thought of the time before that.  Were you happy with those times?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.