Author Topic: Caro watch  (Read 9063 times)

Offline The Undertaker

• Tiger Rookie
  • What we need 'round here is a little more respect
Re: Caro watch
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2005, 05:33:55 PM »
Bitter sweet Caroline
Like the Deadman(Wrestlemania 13-0) the Richmond Tiger will again rise to the top of the jungle where he so rightfully belongs.

Offline The Undertaker

• Tiger Rookie
  • What we need 'round here is a little more respect
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2005, 09:25:59 AM »
Bitter-sweet anoints Sugar http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/02/26/1109180163414.html

Captaincy quest looks clear-cut
Terry Wallace's intriguing search for Richmond's new captain has been unveiled publicly as a four-man competition that can be split into two groups. One group comprises a pair of lifelong and career Tigers whose fathers played in premiership teams and, in the other group, are new chums Kane Johnson and Nathan Brown.

That neither of the first two, Matthew Richardson and Joel Bowden, have any hope of winning the job should not be considered an insult. The very fact that both aspire to lead the club on-field should provide some encouragement to Richmond fans who have watched both young men display flashes of brilliance and even lengthy periods of consistency over the years, but, realistically, never leadership skills.

That they are the sole contenders from the group that has served at the club for any period longer than two seasons is clearly a savage indictment of the poor state of affairs at Tigerland and one clear explanation for the club's poor performances over the past decade or two.

So the choice comes down to Brown and Johnson. The new coach, while clearly holding the last card as the announcement of the new skipper draws closer, will also be able to quite honestly say that the choice was made following an unprecedented and rigorous amount of research.

Not only did Wallace bring in external consultants to analyse the contenders and force the club to focus on its priorities, he also canvassed pretty much everyone within the club, including the senior list, to unearth the best man for the job.

The word from inside is that the players, who were given little notice before voting, were largely united in their choice. Wallace has refused to discuss the results of any questionnaire, but my guess is that Johnson easily would have won the players' poll.

The worst you could say about Johnson is that he is a relatively introverted public performer and a solid, reliable player who will never win a match off his own boot. Brown can be a matchwinner and a media darling, but it is Johnson who deserves to get the job and not simply because his tenure at Tigerland is double that of the former Bulldog, who arrived only after season 2003.

The football department, when asked to rank the team's leadership requirements, placed discipline, responsibility and communication significantly ahead of such terms as "visionary" and "big picture".

Wallace's predecessors would have given Johnson the job without any such external guidance.

Brown is a star, a risk-taker and reportedly has impressed his old Bulldog coach with his growing maturity, but surely discipline and responsibility sit more comfortably with Johnson, who has slipped happily, if quietly, into his new role at the struggling club. Brown has a quirkiness that has helped make him a great player at times and which appeals to his fans, but is quirky what is required for the most exciting group of young recruits the club has had in decades?

Johnson, the former Crow who turns 27 in two weeks, is the only AFL premiership player on the list - he played in both the 1997 and '98 sides - and has finished second in his first two club championships at Richmond.

If his quiet demeanour is a concern in a group that has not exactly set the competition alight with its on-field personality, then Johnson has proved a relatively responsible performer in a team seemingly incapable of reaching a collective on-field decision last season. He also is said to have become more talkative among his peers and, let's face it, with Wallace as coach, it's obvious who'll be handling communication with the outside world.

Wallace has not shied away from promoting his new side - quite the opposite. Until Richmond narrowly lost its Wizard Cup match against Collingwood, it was being afforded publicity worthy of an AFL grand finalist. Selling hope alongside membership and sponsorship is a significant part of Wallace's job description and he already has performed it with the expected aplomb.

The greatest hope of all is that among the teenage contingent at Richmond exist two or three clear captains and not simply players who have become famous as draft picks Nos. 1 and 2. Brown, as a member of the leadership group whatever the captaincy result, will show them brilliance and how to exert it. Johnson will teach them on-field responsibility, accountability and how to make even their poor performances better than mediocre.

Both choices have their appeal but, considering the club's history and where it now sits, the latter would appear to be the priority.

Like the Deadman(Wrestlemania 13-0) the Richmond Tiger will again rise to the top of the jungle where he so rightfully belongs.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2005, 10:23:30 AM »

That neither of the first two, Matthew Richardson and Joel Bowden, have any hope of winning the job should not be considered an insult.

Uh huh - righty o then  :help :-\ ::)

That they are the sole contenders from the group that has served at the club for any period longer than two seasons is clearly a savage indictment of the poor state of affairs at Tigerland and one clear explanation for the club's poor performances over the past decade or two.

To degree I have to agree with this comment. We've been saying for years that we lack leaders - this statement reflects this to a point

The word from inside is that the players, who were given little notice before voting, were largely united in their choice. Wallace has refused to discuss the results of any questionnaire, but my guess is that Johnson easily would have won the players' poll.

Pin the tail on the donkey anyone ;D

Wallace has not shied away from promoting his new side - quite the opposite. Until Richmond narrowly lost its Wizard Cup match against Collingwood, it was being afforded publicity worthy of an AFL grand finalist. Selling hope alongside membership and sponsorship is a significant part of Wallace's job description and he already has performed it with the expected aplomb.

Gotta agree - though the positive PR has been appearing in the HUN (or as Sheeds called it last week the Tiger Gazette :lol) not the Age - what a surprise  :o

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2005, 01:43:17 PM »

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/articles/2005/03/04/1109700684540.html

Wrinkles Wilson predicts we will finish 11th, which is the most favourable prediction of all the hacks at the Age. Well done wrinkles.

Offline tigers80

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2005, 02:24:10 AM »
typical of caro...she'll plump the tiges there (11th) and if they go off the boil it allows her to start bagging them in the paper...

if there is anyone who should b esscorted away in the back of a divvy van it should b that biatch..... :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2005, 04:27:35 AM »
Caro's gone for the Cats by 5 goals.

What's worse is Mike Sheahan and Roberts Walls have tipped us to win :gobdrop

Worse news of the lot is that Spud is going to be doing the special comments for the Tiges vs Cats  this Sunday on MMM. So yeah nah step up to the plate and bring your walkman so you're cherry ripe to listen I would've thought  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2005, 06:41:01 PM »
Worse news of the lot is that Spud is going to be doing the special comments for the Tiges vs Cats  this Sunday on MMM. So yeah nah step up to the plate and bring your walkman so you're cherry ripe to listen I would've thought  ;D.

It'll have to be KRock now. Wont it? - an unbiased Mitho and the bumbling Billy Brownless -  :scream :-\  It's hard to pick out what's worse

Gee I wish you could pick up 3AW high up in the great southern stand ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2005, 11:37:09 AM »
 :cheers :bow :cheers

I read it but I nearly didn't believe it :gobdrop :gobdrop

Caro has done a really good article and I mean a really GOOD article on Richo and his 200th in today's Sunday Age (1/5/05)

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh FINALLY ;) ;D

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2005, 11:01:03 PM »
Perhaps this can be unstickied, this forum is a little cluttered with sooo many stickies!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2005, 02:04:37 AM »
If it were to be un-stickied it would be for a different reason for me than yours Razor.
It seems Caro is either not getting dodgy information from her dodgy Richmond sources any more or she's still getting dodgy information but has twigged her sources at Richmond are dodgy and doesn't use their dodgy information any more.
Whatever the reason her articles are better for it, so there soon may be no need to watch her.  :thumbsup

I like having the threads that are stickied always at the top. I don't find it cluttered. Each to their own.  :)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2005, 06:24:25 AM »
By Caroline Wilson
The Age
September 4, 2005

But their evidence was flimsy and, according to some commissioners, unconvincing. Those AFL board members, who had witnessed the Tigers' celebration after picking up Brent Deledio and Richard Tambling last November — a celebration that helped Clinton Casey win an election — along with the volumes of hope Hawthorn and the Bulldogs were able to sell to their members, told Anderson and the others to go back to the drawing board.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/09/03/1125302784767.html

Caro we would love another Deledio to come down and join Brett ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd