Author Topic: Richmond president Gary March to play on (Age)  (Read 2974 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond president Gary March to play on (Age)
« on: June 10, 2010, 05:23:17 AM »
Richmond president to play on
CAROLINE WILSON
June 10, 2010

RICHMOND president Gary March has declared his intention to remain at the helm beyond 2010, stating he has found a renewed enthusiasm at Tigerland and had not yet charted a definite succession plan.

March, whose term expires at the end of the season and who has been targeted by some outspoken former players, told The Age yesterday: ''Don't write my obituary just yet.''

''I have always said that if a suitable candidate came along I would happily step aside,'' added March, who took over from Clinton Casey at the end of 2005. He will have completed eight years as a club director at the end of the year.

''I'm constantly on the lookout for new talent and I always said that I would leave the club with a suitable succession. The fact that we haven't been spending too much time on that should tell you something.''

March is one of three board members completing their terms at the end of 2010. He hinted late last year he would consider stepping down, having secured Brendon Gale as chief executive and a new coach in Damien Hardwick along with the funding for the Punt Road redevelopment.

Both he and former club president Leon Daphne have sounded out top-level coterie supporter Mark Smith, a director of Toll Holdings and former chief executive of Cadbury-Schweppes, as a potential successor.

The search for a high profile, suitable candidate has proved a massive task in recent years.

Smith is understood to have indicated an interest in the top job but would not challenge for a board position later this season, rather hope to fill a casual vacancy which in March's view would see him spend some time first as a board member.

March has also been keen to promote the former owner of the South Dragons basketball team, branding and marketing executive Mark Cowan, to the club's board. March said any disenchantment with his position, which saw him consider quitting as president at the end of 2008, had dissipated.

March is no longer the club's key off-field spokesman as he was when Steven Wright was CEO. He has remained relatively silent despite some harsh criticism of the club from Kevin Sheedy, who has taken aim at the Richmond administration in his new role as coach of Greater Western Sydney.

At Neil Balme's charity tribute last month several former players, notably master of ceremonies Bartlett, went over the top - in the view of some in the audience - with their lambasting of the Tigers administration in recent years with March in the room. Bartlett though has remained strongly supportive of the team and coach.

Although he has been at the helm during a spectacularly unsuccessful era at the club, March remains confident the rebuilding of the football department with Hardwick and Craig Cameron at the helm has given Richmond a new sense of purpose.

''We'll make a profit this year,'' said March. ''We've spent $2.5 million in boosting our staff in a pure operational sense and we have some room in our salary cap which means we can be a bit aggressive in the market at the end of the season.

''To be honest I love working with this group. In the long term Mark [Smith] could succeed me and I think both he and Mark Cowan offer a lot to our board.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-president-to-play-on-20100609-xwte.html

Ramps

Re: Richmond president Gary March to play on (Age)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »
GARY MARCH SHOULD QUIT NOW!

HE SHOULD TAKE ANOTHER 2 OR 3 BOARD MEMBERS WITH HIM.

THE BOARD NEEDS SOME NEW BLOOD AND NEW LEADERSHIP.

LEAVE NOW!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »
why?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
Good. I'm happy for March to stay on.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:47:24 AM »

LEAVE NOW!
Any justification or just feeling like a bit of a rant ?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »

And if someone else puts their hand up for the spot then I'm happy for the club to have to make a choice.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 10:19:46 AM »

LEAVE NOW!

Sorry but that's just silly. Why have him just leave with no proper candidates in place to take over?
Much better to seek out some quality people first rather than just walking and having a bunch of nuff nuffs nominate themselves for the spot.

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:26:07 PM »

LEAVE NOW!

just abit of a rant at 7am in the cold lol  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:25 PM »
It would be much better for any club to have a smooth succession plan in place rather than challenges for the sake of it. Going by the article that seems to be the pplan and that's good

Also, IMHO the main players at the club (ie Gale & Hardwick in particular) want him there so I think it is a good enough reason for him to stay  :gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »

LEAVE NOW!

lol

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Mark Smith or Mark Cowan, apart from what is mentioned in passing in the article?

Has anyone heard any rumours about casual vacancies opening up on the Board?  Why would they want a casual anyway?  Why not run for office?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:05:49 PM »
He's a lightweight
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »

Yeah Me to, but stay out of the media Gary, It is definetly not your strong point.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

LEAVE NOW!

lol ya nut
Lots of people name their swords......

Ramps

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 05:46:41 PM »

LEAVE NOW!

lol ya nut

I got up at 7am to go have a pee and then I came into the study and logged on, by this stage, I was freezing my nuts off, and I had come to OER, with nothing in mind to write, then I saw this thread and thought Id have a go, I was going to write a long rant, but I was freezing, so each paragraph, became a sentence, and then each sentence became a point, then by the end of it ... I was shivering from the cold, and I looked at my post, and I knew it was a poo post, but I didnt want to re write it, so I posted it and logged off, my nuts saved from the cold  ;D