Author Topic: Out Of Africa  (Read 25826 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Out Of Africa
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:10:47 AM »
Probably not the place to post this but seeing as it is the most read part of the forum, what the heck, please just leave it here mods :thumbsup.

I have just returned from a site visit to a mine in Zambia (Africa) for a job I don't think I can refuse. With the way they pay over their I should be retired in a couple of years.. :clapping

I will be returning back there in about 10-12 days so until I get set up over there I will be posting less on the forum than I usually do, unfortunately, but should make one-some people happy... ;D

I took a 5-6 hour bus drive from the an Airport in Ndola to the mine site and unless you have seen it over their we really don't know how lucky we have it in here, really, it is an eye opener.. :(.

I will also be educating them on our national game and I am actually going to take an AFL football with me, that should be fun as all they really play is soccer.

Anyway just thought I would share this with you all!!

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline TheUmpire

• Future Richmond star
Re: Out Of Africa
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:51:13 PM »
Good luck to you over there. What is their internet access like?

FNM

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:03:43 PM »
Yeah, play footy with the locals while you exploit their precious resources  :rollin

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
I agree we are increadibly lucky.

It is interesting/ironic that you point this injustice out, given the poor/illegal way the profits of mines have been distributed to the legit residents of the land.

good luck to you though, i enjoy reading your opinions!!
Detka! Detka! Detka!

FNM

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:15:31 PM »
Environmental rapists  ;D
I wonder what the company will give back to the community in return for their riches
A water well or something really special? lol

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 01:21:31 PM »
I wonder what the company will give back to the community in return for their riches

Yeah I expected these sort of comments from the uneducated.. :lol. 95.5% of the workers are Zambian and if it wasn't for the mines they would still be living in the AIDS affected villages that the mines are also supporting to help with medical traetment etc...

We (ex pats) go over there to help develop a sustainable work force that in years to come will not need foreign help as they will be able to do it themselves.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
Good luck to you over there. What is their internet access like?

Cheers, internet is all good, I just have to get it all hooked up but I am not sure when that will happen.

"Rucks:

FNM

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »

Yeah I expected these sort of comments from the uneducated.. :lol. 95.5% of the workers are Zambian and if it wasn't for the mines they would still be living in the AIDS affected villages that the mines are also supporting to help with medical traetment etc...

We (ex pats) go over there to help develop a sustainable work force that in years to come will not need foreign help as they will be able to do it themselves.

Do the profits stay there?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »

Some of them do Froars but they are rarely if ever directed to the areas that need it most.  I spent 6 months living in Central Africa in the 90's and wholeheartedly concur with WAT's observation - you really have to live there to get an appreciation of how different life is.  Corruption at the highest level is the norm and almost every country in the entire African continent has been raped by their own rulers for so many years that the chance of recovery in our lifetime for many of them is quite hopeless.  And what is much more galling is that most of the catalyst for the disintegration of the true African lifestyle and culture was the greed of the Western world - colonialism - in a word.  I read a fascinating and very sad historical account of modern Africa recently - "The State Of Africa" - and it highlights how culpable our Western society has been (and still is in many ways) in the political and cultural downfall of most of the countries that make up that beautiful continent.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »

Do the profits stay here, with anything we produce in our own country, mining aside???

"Rucks:

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »

Some of them do Froars but they are rarely if ever directed to the areas that need it most.  I spent 6 months living in Central Africa in the 90's and wholeheartedly concur with WAT's observation - you really have to live there to get an appreciation of how different life is.  Corruption at the highest level is the norm and almost every country in the entire African continent has been raped by their own rulers for so many years that the chance of recovery in our lifetime for many of them is quite hopeless.  And what is much more galling is that most of the catalyst for the disintegration of the true African lifestyle and culture was the greed of the Western world - colonialism - in a word.  I read a fascinating and very sad historical account of modern Africa recently - "The State Of Africa" - and it highlights how culpable our Western society has been (and still is in many ways) in the political and cultural downfall of most of the countries that make up that beautiful continent.

Dead right Smokey, your comments are very true, if it wasn't for Westerners going into the country it would be completely corrupt, it near on is now, as you say. The Police and Government are still on the take and they abuse their own race moer than we do.

We are really helping in ways that many people other than people like you and I will never see or understand!

"Rucks:

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 02:22:07 PM »
Why are the profits relevant?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
yeah we are doing a kick ass job over there. 68% of Zambians live under the poverty line. Life expectancy is a whopping 40 years. Well at least they don't have to set money aside for retirement.

please do not say that us westerners have done ANYTHING but exploited that continent then handed back our scraps in return.

Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 04:25:27 PM »
Best of luck WAT.  Bring back a centre half forward!  :gotigers

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »
yeah we are doing a kick ass job over there. 68% of Zambians live under the poverty line. Life expectancy is a whopping 40 years. Well at least they don't have to set money aside for retirement.

please do not say that us westerners have done ANYTHING but exploited that continent then handed back our scraps in return.

Got any stats to compare what their life expectancy and how many were under the poverty line before westerners were there?
Bit meaningless otherwise.