Author Topic: The Tigers of old - Engine room has sparked Richmond's resurgence (afl)  (Read 1715 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tigers of old
By Mark Macgugan
Mon 21 June, 2010

NINE rounds into season 2010, the only talking point when it came to Richmond was, ‘will they win a game?’

Most footy fans didn’t think so, comparing this year’s breed of Tiger to the hapless Fitzroy outfit of 1996. They were 0-9, with a dismal percentage of 56.2, and seemingly not much hope of troubling the scorers anytime soon.

What a difference a month makes. In its past four games, Richmond are 3-1 (the loss coming after a spirited performance against the Saints), with a percentage of 126.6.

Plaudits have been coming for the Tigers’ attack, and in particular Jack Riewoldt.

He’s kicked 23 goals in his last four outings, helping propel his team from 15th in goals once inside 50 during Rounds 1-9 (21.6 per cent) to seventh from Rounds 10-13 (26.7 per cent).

Richmond's improvement has come right across the ground, not just up forward.

At stoppages, the Tigers have been reasonably strong all year, but their inside midfielders have lifted another gear during the team’s turnaround.

They are averaging 11.8 more clearances than their opposition per game in the past month - ranked No.1 in the AFL - and boast three of the top eight clearance players in the competition during that time:

Clearances Rounds 10-13

Player          Clearances    Rank
Shane Tuck         28           1st
Dustin Martin      25         =2nd
Trent Cotchin      21         =8th

Importantly, the Tigers have outscored their opposition by 61 points from stoppages in the last four games, ranked second in the league.

Stat (ave. per game)                         R 1-9              R 10-13
Points against                               120 (16th)       72.5 (3rd)
Inside 50s conceded                       55.2 (15th)      49.8 (9th)
Opposition goal once inside 50 (%)   31.6 (16th)     20.1 (1st)

In short, Richmond’s opponents got the ball inside 50 often, and scored easily once they did in the first nine rounds. Not so anymore.

With a week of rest before their Round 14 home clash with the Sydney Swans, Damien Hardwick’s young team might just about start favourites to notch their fourth win of the year.

Could anyone have predicted that a month ago?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/96697/default.aspx
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:42:24 PM by one-eyed »

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Tucky is really making the most of it..

It must have taken some real man management skills to sit down after the trade week dust settled and say 'look Tucky, we wanted to move you on because you wouldn't win a flag here, but now you are staying you've got as much chance as the next bloke'... And a good deal of ticker from Tucky to get on with it...

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
There was never anything wrong with Tucky, he was getting stuffed around last year, he has always been a good in and under player for us, he has weaknesses and its good they are being addressed.  I think it was the previous mob that were trying to ditch him right?
Lots of people name their swords......

Ox

How can u be related to Gary Ablett and your Father is Michael Tuck
and not be at worst a good footballer.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think it was the previous mob that were trying to ditch him right?

No Hardwick wanted to... There was conflicting stories about us wanting to trade him vs. Tucky wanting a trade but I think that was just PR. In any case, its now clear that Hardwick rates Tucky and he was just trying to get another pick for the revolution...

Ox

if he finishes the season strongly i would make him VC nxt year.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
How can u be related to Gary Ablett and your Father is Michael Tuck
and not be at worst a good footballer.

If he was race horse he would have been a million dollar yearling based on breeding alone.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think it was the previous mob that were trying to ditch him right?

No Hardwick wanted to... There was conflicting stories about us wanting to trade him vs. Tucky wanting a trade but I think that was just PR. In any case, its now clear that Hardwick rates Tucky and he was just trying to get another pick for the revolution...

You state that as if it's true. I'd like to see some explanation for that.

Campbell and Tuck had a big blue middle of last year.
Tuck was subsequently dropped to Coburg.
Campbell and Cameron made the list decisions last year.
Hardwick stated in an interview there were a couple of the list decisions with which he disagreed, so he did not have the final say.
After a few Coburg matches at the start of this year Tuck was promoted by .....Hardwick and the (new) match committee.

So Owl was right it was the remnants of the previous mob, Campbell and Cameron

"Hardwick....was just trying to get another pick" only if one believes your version and spins it as the truth. Did you get your info from Campbell and Cameron? A bit of a cover-up for a poor decision?

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
You state that as if it's true. I'd like to see some explanation for that.

11 Sep 2009 (3-4 weeks after Hardwick arrived)

Pickering says Tigers want to trade Tuck

16 Sep 2009

Tucky's own words:-

Tuck said he was mystified to be moved on so quickly, but optimistic of finding a new home.

"I am only 27 so I think I have at least three years in me," he said.

"They are pretty keen to move me on but, with next year on my contract, if I can't find a trade I will probably end up at Coburg so I am happy to be traded."

8 Oct 2009 (After trade week) the story suddenly changes

WEEKS after requesting a trade, out-of-favour Richmond midfielder Shane Tuck will next week return to the Tigers hoping to extend his career.

Tuck last month told the club he was desperate for a trade, and while the Tigers shopped him around he did not attract much interest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty obvious what happened really. Well handled by the club turning it from the club not wanting him to him not wanting to be at the club.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

11 Sep 2009 (3-4 weeks after Hardwick arrived)  Incorrect, August 26 - Hardwick announced as new coach. (16 days before your Pickering article)
Pickering says Tigers want to trade Tuck

16 Sep 2009
Tucky's own words:-
Tuck said he was mystified to be moved on so quickly, but optimistic of finding a new home.
"I am only 27 so I think I have at least three years in me," he said.
"They are pretty keen to move me on but, with next year on my contract, if I can't find a trade I will probably end up at Coburg so I am happy to be traded."

8 Oct 2009 (After trade week) the story suddenly changes
WEEKS after requesting a trade, out-of-favour Richmond midfielder Shane Tuck will next week return to the Tigers hoping to extend his career.
Tuck last month told the club he was desperate for a trade, and while the Tigers shopped him around he did not attract much interest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty obvious what happened really. Well handled by the club turning it from the club not wanting him to him not wanting to be at the club.
[/quote]

You have posted a couple of newspaper excerpts about Tuck being traded.
NOTHING in anything you have posted even suggests that Hardwick made the decision on Tuck - YOUR statement that I question.

1 Sep Posted on PRE that Tuck is up for Trade.
One week after Hardwick was appointed, it was such common knowledge that Tuck was up for trade that it was posted on a fan website.

Also posted on PRE that Wallace, addressing a sportsmens night, said that Campbell (as the only remaining coach) and Cameron (as List Manager) made the list decisions last year as one would expect with both our recruiting history and a new coaching staff.. 

Like so many apologists for poor decision-making by INDIVIDUALS at the club, you have tried to deflect their responsibility by
a) blaming someone who was not involved in any meaningful way (re your original post that it was Hardwick's decision)
b) then saying it was a "club" decision, ignoring the people who DID make the decision.

I disagree on your glib statement that it was "well handled by the club". Do you really think club managers, player agents and players themselves do not realise what went on in this case?
It was not well handled by the "club" to offer a contracted player for trade, retain the player and then present it as his request for a trade.
It was meant as a humiliation of a contracted player and did not succeed because of the personal quality of the offended player.
Disgraceful and disrespectful conduct from club leaders, compounded by your (and others) determination to shield the responsible parties (Cameron and Campbell) while blaming an innocent party (Hardwick).

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
Redan you are living in fairyland. Why is it so hard to accept that Hardwick wanted to trade Tuck?

This was Tucky two or three weeks ago.

"Since he's been there he's really given me a fair go," said Tuck, accepting responsibility for his own fall from favour.

"The last six weeks of last year, my performances weren't up to scratch, I let myself down really.

"I guess that was the new coach's impression of me.

"That's what it was in the first practice matches and it took a little (while) for him to realise that wasn't me, that I actually can play footy.

"(Initially) I didn't know what would happen, whether I would get a game at all.

"But he really is a fair bloke - he gives you an opportunity. If you do the right things, he gives you a chance. You can't ask for any more in a coach."

Look all the evidence is that Hardwick was happy enough to trade Tuck and then when it didn't happen he made the best out of the situation. If Hardwick didn't want to trade Tuck, why would Tuck feel unsure as to getting a game at all?

I get the impression that you are a conspiracy theorist who will ignore all the evidence available. Your constant use of capital letters indicates a degree of mental instability, or perhaps that Shane Tuck drives you to uncontrollable, irrational sexually-charged rage. You aren't going to change my mind and at worst you are going to ejaculate all over yourself, so conversation over.

Ox

laffin'

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Why is it so hard to accept that the List Manager made decisions on the list?

Your assumption that Hardwick was "happy enough" is very different to your claim previously that Hardwick made the decision. He may well have accepted or been "happy enough" with the decision.
Why is it so hard to grasp that a new coach would not make decisions on the list before the List Manager and an existing assistant coach?

To answer your question about Tuck being unsure of getting a game. It was a natural belief given his history with Campbell (his midfield coach) and Cameron (Hardwick's boss, who offered him for trade).
To return to your quote, the statement you did not highlight is interesting. "Since he's been there he's really given me a fair go". So he wasn't given a fair go prior to Hardwick's arrival.

Your impression about me are as likely to be accurate as your information about how a football club works and relies probably on as few facts.
"All the evidence available" indeed. The weakness of your position is shown by comments to me about mental instability, sexual rage and ejaculation.  
You really are a bit strange. You ask two questions in your post then say the conversation is over. Leads me to think you don't want any answers, you just want to spout your lies unchallenged.

I accept that I will not change your "mind" but I will not accept your lies about our new coach.

the claw

Redan you are living in fairyland. Why is it so hard to accept that Hardwick wanted to trade Tuck?

This was Tucky two or three weeks ago.

"Since he's been there he's really given me a fair go," said Tuck, accepting responsibility for his own fall from favour.

"The last six weeks of last year, my performances weren't up to scratch, I let myself down really.

"I guess that was the new coach's impression of me.

"That's what it was in the first practice matches and it took a little (while) for him to realise that wasn't me, that I actually can play footy.

"(Initially) I didn't know what would happen, whether I would get a game at all.

"But he really is a fair bloke - he gives you an opportunity. If you do the right things, he gives you a chance. You can't ask for any more in a coach."

Look all the evidence is that Hardwick was happy enough to trade Tuck and then when it didn't happen he made the best out of the situation. If Hardwick didn't want to trade Tuck, why would Tuck feel unsure as to getting a game at all?

I get the impression that you are a conspiracy theorist who will ignore all the evidence available. Your constant use of capital letters indicates a degree of mental instability, or perhaps that Shane Tuck drives you to uncontrollable, irrational sexually-charged rage. You aren't going to change my mind and at worst you are going to ejaculate all over yourself, so conversation over.
just had to reply to this. geez its typical. there are some supporters who just cant have criticism or believe that the people they have put on a pedestal can do any wrong.
of course hardwick made a decision with others at the club to dump tucky any thinking logical unbiased person can see that.
why some people see a need and feel the need to defend absolutely everything some people do is beyond me.
if tuck is the least of the mistakes hardwick makes over the course of his career he will have done very well indeed.
in fact hardwick should be commended  for being big enough to give tuck a chance despite what he thought of him initially.