Author Topic: Fans Training Night  (Read 6970 times)

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Fans Training Night
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 09:03:02 AM »
Great pics Fwoy - where were you hiding - didn't see u there! Then again I was too busy studying the boys...for their footy techniques of course :lol Was very impressed with how fit they all looked.

Training is vastly different from that under Danny. The talking out on the field is a BIG difference. A few of the older players were saying how much tougher training is this year...bout bloody time.

Great to see the newbies aren't initimidated - Deledio applied a huge tackle on Brown, who I must admit looked less than impressed. Tambling and Deledio look to be exceedingly competitive and very hungry to play next year.

Saw u Life...but u didn't acknowledge me :lol

All in all a great night and like Harry very hard not to get excited about where we're heading - 15 players under 20...when was the last time the Tiges could claim that?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 09:27:43 AM »
Training is vastly different from that under Danny. The talking out on the field is a BIG difference. A few of the older players were saying how much tougher training is this year...bout bloody time.

Certainly was fantastic to hear them talking on the field. Hell-lay-loo-ya :bow :bow

This may sound a bit silly but for it was great (for me at least) to see Royal having them do that smothering and tackling drill - SENSATIONAL. Smothering is a skill and I can honestly say I don't remember ever seeing that sort of drill under the previous regime ;D

The other thing I noticed watching that drill was the you could tell that Knobel had not been training with us.

That's not being critical of Knobel - but it was interesting to note that the others seemed to tackle and smother "harder" that is their attack on the ball to smother was alot harder than Knobel's. I reckon this shows the benefit of the repetitive skill drills.

Also I couldn't get over how quick Tambling is - his abliity (speed) to chase blokes down was amazing :o
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Life goes on

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2004, 10:07:57 AM »
Didnt see you there WP ? Or where you near the bricks that were laid ;)
Hey BG 25, you should of yelled out, lol   Man up ! lol ;)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2004, 10:24:14 AM »
Good reporting guys, and thanks for the photo's fwoy.

How does Polo look ?  How is his pace and skill ?  Is he physically ready for seniors ?
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2004, 10:57:08 AM »
8 - in white jumper was Tom Roach

Geez Roach has really bulked up.  Wouldn't have recognised him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2004, 11:12:21 AM »
Didnt see you there WP ? Or where you near the bricks that were laid ;)

Yes Life - I did check out the bricks - the RFC has some very generous people  ;D :thumbsup. Saw a lot of names I knew

But I spent most of my time watching training and ensuring that bg25 was manning up :cheers you may not have recognised me I had a cap on rather than my normal hat that appears in my avatar ;D

Ox

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2004, 11:14:55 AM »
Bigger bandwidth needed for us boys.

I couldn't get on last nite for the life of me so i posted at BF.

Went to the night and it was pretty good.

I doubt if there were 4ooo people there ?\!!!?? more like 4-500 ,outside anyway.
Maybe there were 3600 hiding inside ? :shh

Fwoy !
I missed you 6foot6 frame.
Where were you ???
Dam.lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2004, 11:21:52 AM »

How does Polo look ?  How is his pace and skill ?  Is he physically ready for seniors ?

IMO HarryH when you stand him against say Deledio it is clear he is not as developed in the arms and across the shoulders. I thought his speed was OK. His skill OK - needs more practice which is to be expected. He was very solid in the tackling and smother drill which is plus in my book. That handball drill they have where they run it and score by handballing through the hop - he showed in that one that he can be quick with hands - not as silky as Deledio or Tambling (oh boy Tambling - gonna be a gun) but quick

I doubt he'll be ready for seniors by round 1 but will probably be like Raines this year and could develop and build up his size quickly  with the training. Having said that my view is play him and the others in the Wizz Fizz cup and see how they go.

I must add that while he was boxing he certainly seemed to pack more of a punch than young Meyer ;D

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2004, 11:57:24 AM »
Now is it just me or was that a top stuffing session yesterday?

I mean the whole concept was great and the club should do it more often. Sun....beers......bbq......just kicking back enjoying the day watching the boys go through their stuff. I was rapt....I knocked off 2 hours early and it was worth it....

Heads up to Roder and Tumbles for burning up the track!
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Tigers tackle training with renewed zest by Tezza
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2004, 12:17:39 PM »
Tigers tackle training with renewed zest
9:59:33 AM Thu 16 December, 2004
By Richmond coach Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au

We are now in our last week of pre-season training at Richmond before the Christmas break, with some of the players having already trained for about three months. Although the time has flown, I believe we have achieved significant improvement, both to our playing list and in our method of play.

When I first arrived at the Club, the playing group was extremely quiet, shell-shocked and lacking in self-confidence. Now, however, they are starting to regain faith in their ability to play top-level football, and have more confidence in their teammates.
From a list structure perspective, we believe the Club has been able to make some gains which will have an immediate impact in 2005. Securing seasoned league players in Mark Graham, Troy Simmonds and Trent Knobel has not only helped the depth of the senior playing list, but has also added some valuable experience to what is a very young squad. It was always the football department’s intention to become more competitive in the short term, while developing a long-term strategy with quality youth from the national draft, who will go on and become great players for the Richmond Football Club over a long, sustained period of time.

From a rookie list standpoint, Nathan Foley has been ‘re-rookied’ to the Club after a strong season with the Coburg Tigers in the VFL this year, and in the rookie draft we picked up Sandringham Dragons’ youngster, Will Thursfield, with the first selection. Will is an athletic defender who can play in a variety of positions. He has been in the elite system for only a short period of time and needs to develop his body, but he undoubtedly shows promise for the future.

The Tiger players have taken on our new training structure and accepted it very well. The training regime is very much game-based and designed to encourage players to train as they would play, with many modified games and decision-making activities integrated into the program.

Both Brian Royal and David Wheadon have worked extremely hard on the players’ skill development, which has always been the key criteria in my coaching, and it is outstanding that the Club could provide two such excellent teachers to raise the bar of expectation in this region.

David King and Steven Alessio have been a breath of fresh air at the Club, with David’s extroverted nature bringing some much-needed life to Punt Road. It’s also been a top effort by our match committee member, Gordon Casey, to organise long-service leave from his work, so that he could have a full understanding and knowledge of the playing group before Christmas. This automatically shows how committed he is to his new position.

Everyone within the football department – strength and conditioning, medical and administration – has worked extremely hard to have an immediate impact on the culture of the playing group.

This is only the first step in what will be a long journey to rejuvenate the Richmond Football Club, but as senior coach I feel very pleased with how much has changed in such a short time.

The group will rest up over a two-week Christmas break and, upon return, we will have our eyes firmly fixed on the Wizard Cup but, more particularly, Geelong in the opening round of the 2005 season . . .

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=180941

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2004, 12:59:08 PM »
Have to chuck my bit in - WOW that was awsome - Very well done to TW and the boys. I never saw any trainiing like that with spud.

and how they picked some kids out to go and train with them at the end was fantastic my young one was picked out and joined in the boxing (He was over the moon to say the least)

Got his yellow tiger jumper signed by a few but most importantly Deledio and Tambling.

I am really optimistic about next year after seeing that effort we are really on the right track  :cheers :santa

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2004, 01:18:53 PM »
Training’s definitely different now.  You just about have to pinch yourself these days.  Is this really Richmond? When you’ve experienced the way things have been in the past and compare them to today, you can appreciate the difference, even now, and the work being done to really change things for the better.

Makes a difference when the whole Club has had a huge clean out and not just the usual suspects.  It just seems like the people being brought in to RFC now have had a huge impact in helping change the outlook and attitude of the whole place.  Let’s hope it can continue.

Deledio and Tambling were very popular.  Deledio was still signing autographs long after most players had gone inside.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2004, 01:34:19 PM »
Bigger bandwidth needed for us boys.

Fwoy !
I missed you 6foot6 frame.
Where were you ???
Dam.lol

LMAO @ 6 foot 6!! I think you've added a few inches from my pants into that description  :lol :scream :rollin

I was around for two and a bit hours, standing out like dogs balls. I saw some familiar faces...a couple from the Gistapo (including the 1st Lieutenant), but did not see my favourite back pocket (BG25), or the crazed cow (Ox)  :banghead

I did catch up with one former poser ;D...I mean poster from here  :thumbsup :scream

Mightytiges, the pics are stored on a free site, prone to dropping out from time to time. If You can, maybe you should store them on the OER server...feel free to shrink 'em a bit if you do.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Ox

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2004, 02:38:39 PM »

LMAO @ 6 foot 6!! I think you've added a few inches from my pants into that description  :lol :scream :rollin

I was around for two and a bit hours, standing out like dogs balls. I saw some familiar faces...a couple from the Gistapo (including the 1st Lieutenant), but did not see my favourite back pocket (BG25), or the crazed cow (Ox)  :banghead

I did catch up with one former poser ;D...I mean poster from here  :thumbsup :scream

Mightytiges, the pics are stored on a free site, prone to dropping out from time to time. If You can, maybe you should store them on the OER server...feel free to shrink 'em a bit if you do.

LMAOO@ The Bad Lieutenant Fwoy issuing a speeding fine to some young lasses in the car park.

LMAOO@Including horrizontal length to vertical.

Anyone surprised at how short Wallace is an how soft his handshake was ??

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2004, 02:44:03 PM »

LMAOO@ The Bad Lieutenant Fwoy issuing a speeding fine to some young lasses in the car park.

LMAOO@Including horrizontal length to vertical.

Anyone surprised at how short Wallace is an how soft his handshake was ??

LMAO at us having a limp wristed coach.

LMAO at Ox expecting a firm greeting from Wallace.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 02:51:40 PM by Harry Hedgehog »