Author Topic: Who gets the job on Dane Swan?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who gets the job on Dane Swan?
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:01:06 PM »
Hardwick said today that Swan is virtually untaggable. So who'll get the job on him as the Pies set up most of their attacks and goals from their half-back line?

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Who gets the job on Dane Swan?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 04:09:12 PM »
Richmond's Dustin Martin set for role on 'untaggable' Dane Swan

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick may set draftee Dustin Martin the task of minding star Collingwood midfielder Dane Swan at the MCG on Saturday.
Hardwick said today Swan was almost "untaggable" and forecast a match-up with either Swan or Scott Pendlebury for the Tigers' No.3 draft pick.

Martin will take extra responsibility with the loss of midfielders Trent Cotchin and Daniel Jackson to suspension.

“Dustin Martin gets a chance to play against a great player in Dane Swan or Scott Pendlebury ... for every player that we put out there, it’s going to be a good challenge for them,” Hardwick said this morning.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-dustin-martin-set-for-role-on-untaggable-dane-swan/story-e6frf9jf-1225895652158?from=public_rss
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »
I can't see Dusty playing on a HFF on Swan with so many of our best mids out. With Heath Shaw out I wouldn't be surprised if Kingy got the job in a defensive forward role trying to reduce the Pies half-back run which is a strength of theirs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:25:07 AM »
Newman? Too many running players to tag

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »
Swan sprints around the ground like there is no tomorrow for 3-4 minutes, then comes off the ground for a 90 second rest, then goes back on for another sprinting session. His rapid recovery is remarkable. Who do we have who could match that ongoing effort?  He's impossible to tag because of the way the Skunks use him and he gets his own ball so it's hard to cut off his supply.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
just get the stuffing pill ourselves and let him worry about chasing us.

Hardwick said that if we chase tail against Collingwoood we will get pumped.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:44:03 AM »
"Who gets the job on Dane Swan?"  Ill tell ya who, the laziest mother idiot on our list who wants to be running back to the bench every 8 minutes with no tank Swan coz that prick is on and off the ground more than one of the runners.  I reckon he gets most of his posessions sneaking back onto the ground unmanned.  Just get King to break his stuffing ribs and be done with it, a win against Collingwood is worth it.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
Make him accountable. Play a forward who is going to kick goals on him. Swan is not good one on one in a marking contest

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
Pity the bloke in the pub last weekend didn't do a better job on him :cheers

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
Gotta be a way of figuring this dude out? He was crap @ VFL and now is a star, nothing special even though he proves me wrong week after week. C'mon genius AFL coaches out there prove my point.

He's like Davis (Never showed anything at VFL) but tins it occasionally at the top

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »
It's called a workrate champ, this dude runs soooo hard. The crazy number of rotations make it easier for him to get free though.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »
Let Martin go 1 on 1. No use wasting him as a tagger. Use Polo on Swan

tony_montana

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »
he's untaggable...

swan, didak, pendles, thomas, beams, take ur pick  :banghead they will all hurt us with their run and ball use, that prick johnson always runs riot aganst us too, really peees me off bc i've always thought he was a pookicker. Wellingham and Harry O don't run badly either..... Too many bloody damaging runners in their side.

Reckon we need to do all we can to keep Pendles and Ball's contested footy down, otherwise we're toast. Who can stop thes two?
Martin vs Pendles, Tuck vs Ball?  probably the best bet imo, if these 2 are kept relatively quiet I'm confident of keeping it respectable. As for other matchups:
Edwards v Thomas good challenge for edwards
King v Didak
Polo v Swan poor polo always gets brought in for the big job then dropped if he doesnt win  :lol
wellingham? Johnson? Harry O?  Webberley, Cousins, Nason?

If IF our midfeld doesnt get slaughtered think Lids/Newman/Connors can handle the likes of sidebottom/davis/mcaffer/lockyer.

I look at all the potential matchup and think YUCK

edit: forgot one, andy collins to tag Nick Hackwell, andy is a smart enough player to hurt Hackwell who loves to give the chop out and play loose. We are going to have to be disciplined and not go to roo stupidly, play through collins a few times and keep the sniper honest

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
our hb line will win it for us, they won't give any respect to the talents of Newy, Lids and Connors...with Gus now recovered from that bout v Freo and some able bodied support from Big Red I expect to be far better in the pivot than the free run of it North had last R
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Tigermonk

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »
Why tag them, Play our own game, Why should we worry about stopping them. we got nothing to lose apart from 4 points that we could get by letting our players attack & win the ball.

:gotigers