Author Topic: NRL  (Read 2612 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
NRL
« on: December 14, 2004, 01:20:37 AM »
Being the quintessential Melbourne boy I will give just about any sport a go.

I must say before the Storm I was more of a union fan but in the formative years when there was no clashes with the tigers or any VFL games I wanted to see I didn't mind the odd storm game.

Must say that due to clash's and work didn't make it to any storm games last year, could have made a couple If I really wanted but the prices and the waiting in queues for food drinks etc has just got too much.

Rugby league better wake up to themselves if they want storm to survive and expand down here.

The reason for this was triigered when I just had a look at the NRL site and I cannot believe they are actually charging supporters for trial matches with the minimum price of 17.50 for Adult. Do they actually get vrowds at these games ??

I think the NRL has their head up their A?se when it comes to promoting the game.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: NRL
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 08:42:21 AM »
I don't mind the Rugby League - although I don't follow the Storm - I am a North Queensland Cowboys fan :thumbsup

Usually go to at least one Storm game a year.

What they really need to do and it probably wont happen now the 14th union team is going to be in Perth - is improve the facilities at Olympic Park - they are average at best and disgusting at worse. Alot of the seats are broken, it is hard to get to because of the parking problem, what are supposed to be the best seats give you a pretty average view of the game and as you mention the CUB queing for food is the absolute pits. Then their equivalent to the "footy record" - Big League I think it is called costs $4.50 - to expensive.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
Re: NRL
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 09:41:43 AM »
The beer queues were always a problem, although one year (either 99 or 00) they put in high speed beer pourer and it got better. Then later the catering contract changed and they went back to one beer at a time.

At least you can get a real beer there though, unlike certain other sports.

I think the Storm also lost out when they switched to Colonial as it put OPark offside and delayed any redevelopment there.

Despite their problems, at least I got to see a GF win live at the Stadium in 99. More than the tiges have delivered for a while. :thumbsup