Author Topic: Training  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Training
« on: December 14, 2004, 10:15:55 AM »
Was in the Collingwood area yesterday at around 3pm and to my surprise we had training at around the same time at Vic park.  So i decided to drop in.

They had a pretty intense intra-club practice match which was quite enjoyable to watch.  When I got there I found it quite difficult to recognise the players as there were a few new guys and they were wearing different numbers, had new hairstyles and some had bulked up.  After a while I could make most of them out.

The most noticable thing was the pace of the game.  Royal was the umpire and each time a player took a mark or free kick and opted to stand there and not move it on quickly enough, he would blow the whistle to play on.  Players are playing on more and are running and linking up better.  We are definately improving our style of play and are getting the ball forward quicker.  We are running to support, playing on and going long and direct.  A good sign.

The players that stood out -

Rodan - He was BOG IMO and kicked about 7-8 goals.  He was roving the packs beautifully both in the middle and up forward.  Got heaps of clearances in the middle.  The fast moving play on style really suits him as he likes to run and play on.  Don't know who was on him but he dominated.

Raines - He looked like an established senior player and has really progressed from last year.  Was in the thick of the action the whole game and delivered some long raking deliveries to Richo.  He is a beutiful long kick like his dad.  He is very solid around the thighs and hips enabling his to brush off tackles.  I think we might have a good player here.

Tuck - got a few noticable hard ball clearances.  Hartigan - was showing some good signs when put on the ball with his roving of the packs.  Hyde - did well playing on the ball.  Johnson - got alot of it.  Richo - was running around everywhere taking marks at will.  Poor Morrison was playing on Richo and just coulndt match him. 

Deledio showed why he was pick one.  Didn't get much of the ball but was all class when he did.  A beautiful kick and very well balanced.  Kicked a really good goal when he turned an opponent (I think Tuck) inside out.  Tambling didn't get much of it and was heavily tagged by chaffey at stages.  But a few times he put on the jets and no-one could catch him.  Meyer looks class, and so did Gilmour.

We have really made inroads in terms of pace and skill with players like Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Raines, Gilmour, Hartigan.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 11:15:16 AM by Harry Hedgehog »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

froars

Re: Training
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 10:23:40 AM »
Good on ya Harry - this is the stuff i wanna read about.

Really rapt in Rodan and my boy Andrew - he already is seeing the benefits of some extra conditioning  ;)

I'm really looking forward to the changes Wallace is gonna introduce, especially getting rid of this holding onto the ball for so long, the players get manned up on.  Such an ugly game to watch and, as we've seen, quite useless.

Bring it on!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 10:35:04 AM »
It would appear that Moi is getting .... er.... excited :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 10:37:23 AM »
Great stuff Harry :cheers

Good to hear by the sounds of it a number of young guys especially Raines stepping up and improving again in ready for 2005.

That play-on idea is fantastic. Wallace and Royal certainly know what they are doing.  No more sending the crowd to sleep holding onto the footy until everyone is manned up. Ah modern footy... welcome to Tigerland  :thumbsup

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 11:31:27 AM »
A few other notes -

Schulz and Hilton were in the rehap group playing kick to kick.  They both moved well and should be back soon.

Campbell was out there but didn't take part.  He wore a grey top and was running around amongst the others yelling out advice to the players.  He was basically simulating a games running without the contact.

I didn't see Jackson, Moore, Coughlan, Roach, Pattison, and I don't know what Polo, Limbach and McGuane look like.  There were 3-4 players I didn't recognise so it might have been them.

Rix looked OK and presented well as a key forward.  We didn't pick him up however this morning.  Graham was solid in defence as was Newman.  Gaspar had a good dual with Simmonds with Simmonds taking some good marks.  He'll be good for us playing in the ruck and up forward now that we've got Knobel.  Kellaway was very quiet then went off to the bench.  Didn't notice if he got injured. 

Was surprised with the intensity and there were a few collisions that made you hold your breath.  Tambling went down once quite awkwardly, but he was OK.  He really likes putting his body on the line and needs to curb the enthusiasm a bit.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 11:55:16 AM »
Great summary HH!! Keep up the good work, great to see us finally turning the corner! :thumbsup

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 01:43:33 PM »
Didn't recognise Gilmour at all.  He has bulked up and has a blonde shaggy hairstyle.  There was a passage of play when he beat his opponent on the HFF and hit Tuck at FF lace out on the chest with a beautiful delivery.  His teamates and the coaches gave him a heap of praise for that effort.  I didn't know who it was and was quite impressed.  Thought it was a rookie but then after realised it was Gilmour after his teamates were calling him Gilly.

And yes, Deledio's nickname is Dildo.  They were calling Tambling Ricky, or Richie, or something like that.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 01:47:00 PM »
They had a pretty intense intra-club practice match which was quite enjoyable to watch.  When I got there I found it quite difficult to recognise the players as there were a few new guys and they were wearing different numbers, had new hairstyles and some had bulked up.

Thanks for the report Harry.  Was hoping you’d get to a session some time, so you could give us a knowledgeable rundown.  I’ve had the same difficulty trying to pick out players, no numbers on jumpers though.

Good you got to see a match.  Bit restricted at Punt Road, because of the centre wicket being roped off.  But from the sessions I’ve been to, they have been concentrating on game-related situations.  And it’s good to see the constant moving of the ball and a more intense training style.  Talking is encouraged during sessions, which is good, because that’s been a criticism of many, over the years.  Because I don’t think players talk enough out on the ground.  Apart from anything else, I reckon we get a lot more holding the ball decisions against us than is necessary because players just don’t seem to talk out there enough.

Apparently, McGuane has blonde hair, if that’s any help.

Rodan and Raines have been standouts on other occasions.

Both Roach and Raines look to have benefited from two pre seasons in the gym and I read somewhere that Roachy said he’s now up to 80kg.

Roach has been out there other weeks, so not sure why he would have been missing for this game.  The others you mentioned have been missing at various stages.

When training first started back, Hartigan seemed to be more in the rehab group, and has joined the main group over the last few weeks.  Which is good to see.

Tambling will no doubt have to deal with taggers through his career, so it’s good they’re giving him some grounding in what he’s going to be dealing with, so early on.  It’s not going to be free flowing and easy, so might as well introduce them to what they’re going to be up against.

Only got a brief glimpse of Tambling last week.  He seemed to do the basics ok, under no pressure, which is a good start.  Gives the impression that he’s pretty confident in his ability and just wants to get out there.  At one stage, he was up against Rodan.  Surprisingly, Tambling must have just lost sight of the footy and Rodan was easily able to win possession.

I guess it’s all a learning curve and getting used to the different pace, attention and intensity at this level.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 02:06:07 PM »
Yeah - Tambling will come good, he's just finding his feet.  I've read elsewhere that Chaffey has been tagging him quite heavily at training and it occured again yesterday.  Chaff was being quite aggressive and maybe Wallace has had a word in his ear in that he wants him to assert more aggression when playin as tagger.  On a few occassions Tambling just took off and Chaff had no hope.  Chaffey was quite good actually in the guts as a run with role.  Didn't have time to stand and wait with the ball as he has been doing lately when he won the golden turnip award this year.  In the heat of the action he actually won a few clearances and didn't have enough time to stuff it up or slow down the play.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 02:38:23 PM »
Thanks for the report mate, sounds promising. Won't be holding my breath for next year but I hope we do see some improvement and some skilled and talented youngsters about the place.

I hope Rodan is able to reproduce that kind of form when it counts.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 03:34:04 PM »
Great reporting Harry  :bow

I hope Rodan really goes on with it, he was killed under the Spud. Raines's father is big on leg strength so it is not surprising to see that Andrew has some good development in this area.

Really happy to see that Chaffey is tagging Tambling alot. Tabling is going to be heavily tagged when he starts playing AFL so getting him conditioned in to it now means he should have some good experiance under his belt when he gets into the big time. Might help Chaffey's game as well.

The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline The Undertaker

• Tiger Rookie
  • What we need 'round here is a little more respect
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 03:45:04 PM »
Great feedback Harry.

Who does Simmonds remind you of? Is he tough enough to mix it with the hard men of the comp like Spida, Bigbad Barry, Jonathan Brown.

Another Mark Lee would be nice.
Like the Deadman(Wrestlemania 13-0) the Richmond Tiger will again rise to the top of the jungle where he so rightfully belongs.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 03:57:38 PM »
Great feedback Harry.

Who does Simmonds remind you of? Is he tough enough to mix it with the hard men of the comp like Spida, Bigbad Barry, Jonathan Brown.

Another Mark Lee would be nice.

Simmonds is not as tall as your Everitts/Staffords/Sandilands of this world.  He is however very mobile and can play as a ruck rover type like a Jeff White/ Darcy type.  He can also play FF and CHF.  IMO he is very versatile.  Simmonds and Richo up forward will be hard to match up on.  Add Brown/Krak/Rodan/Tambling.  If we can get the ball up there quickly then anything can happen.

It was a high scoring match yeasterday and goals were flowing freely.  Now, is this a good sign re our atacking play or a bad sign re our defence ?  Don't know.

Bulluss

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 05:25:55 PM »
Great reports there Harry.

It was a high scoring match yeasterday and goals were flowing freely.  Now, is this a good sign re our atacking play or a bad sign re our defence ?  Don't know

Surely it has to be a good thing. We are certainly going to win more games playing that way, over the next couple of years we can develop a strong defensive 6 and then make an assault on the flag!!! :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Your club - The Age
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 02:34:06 AM »
RICHMOND

Final 2004 training: Dec 21.

Resumes: Jan 5.

Community camp: Feb 1-4, Mildura.

Injuries:
Greg Stafford (knee, mid-Jan)
Jay Schulz (quadriceps, fit)
Mark Coughlan (groin, Jan)
Kelvin Moore (back, late Jan).

One to watch: Andrew Raines, showing outstanding work ethic.

Wizard Cup: Feb 18 v Coll. TD 7.40pm.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd