Author Topic: Polak retires  (Read 2385 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Polak retires
« on: August 27, 2010, 12:40:53 PM »
Polly calls it a day
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Fri 27 August, 2010

Brave Richmond key-position player, Graham Polak, has announced his retirement from AFL football.

Polak, who suffered life-threatening injuries when hit by a tram in late June 2008, made a courageous return to senior league ranks in the final two rounds of the 2009 season and managed a further three games with Richmond this year.

But a drop in form, combined with a severe knock he sustained at VFL level with Coburg two months ago, and a segment on Channel Nine’s “60 Minutes” program last Sunday night, has convinced Polak the time is right for him to bow out of league football.

“It’s probably been at the back of mind ever since that big knock I got during the middle of the year . . . I was knocked out cold,” Polak said.

“I didn’t really start thinking seriously about it until the past couple of weeks.  I’ve seen a little bit of form slip away and I don’t know what it’s due to.

“And, I was actually watching “60 Minutes” last Sunday and they had this story on brain injuries in the various football codes.  I saw this guy, who had brain damage from a hit he’d taken playing Rugby League . . . I’ve had more knocks than him, plus I’ve already suffered a brain injury, in the accident with the tram.

“So, that pretty much triggered me into making the decision to retire.  After seeing the story, and talking with my partner, Alyce, I realised that life’s more important.  I don’t want to grow up as a person, who can’t play with his kids.  So, I don’t want any more big knocks like that . . .

Polak played a total of 111 AFL games all-up - 73 with Fremantle from 2002-06 and 38 for Richmond from 2007-10.

Although the 26-year-old is drawing the curtain on his league career, he remains keen to continue playing at a lower level.

“I still feel fine and still want to be involved in football and play in a local league somewhere.  Just where that is depends on what the boss (Alyce) says.

“We’re getting married back in Perth later this year and we’ll just see what happens after that,” he said.

Polak took immense pride in his ability to fight back from his near-death experience, and return to playing the game he loves, at the highest level.

“There were doubters along the way, adamant that I could never make it back.  So, to get back, and prove a lot of people wrong, was a great thrill,” Polak said.

“On the other hand, I’ve also had amazing support - from Richmond fans, and other football fans all around Australia.  I’ve got three big folders of emails from people who sent messages to me after they heard about my injury.

“I couldn’t have made it back without that support, as well as all the help and backing I’ve received from the Club.  They have been tremendous and I am extremely grateful for everything they’ve done for me.

“I’m not sure what would have happened with me at the end of the season in terms of the playing list, anyway.  But, to go out like this, on my own terms, is good.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/101253/default.aspx

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Polak retires
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »
Right decision, best of luck  :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:47:50 PM »
bad decision to keep him this year  :banghead learn from your mistakes RFC

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
This sort of slid by in the background of the Cuz supernova.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »
bad decision to keep him this year  :banghead learn from your mistakes RFC
Ohh FFS shut up

Well done Graham on such a remarkable recovery.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:01:58 PM by one-eyed »

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:55:27 PM »

All rookie spots are a big punt, to me he was worth that punt. I know most didnt rate him but I did, he had some of best marking hands. Good decision to retire now though, good luck Polly.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »

All rookie spots are a big punt, to me he was worth that punt. I know most didnt rate him but I did, he had some of best marking hands. Good decision to retire now though, good luck Polly.

giving a spot to someone who is slowed up by a brain injury is not in the best interests of the players health.
reminds me of another footballer Michael Mitchell who had so many bad concussions he was forced to retire.
My remarks are based solely on the players health & nothing more.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:08:54 PM »

giving a spot to someone who is slowed up by a brain injury is not in the best interests of the players health.
reminds me of another footballer Michael Mitchell who had so many bad concussions he was forced to retire.
My remarks are based solely on the players health & nothing more.

I am sorry but I dont get what the RFC has to learn from this then. 

I am confused as all medical decisoons would be based on best evidence and taken case by case. Please enlighten me.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Tigermonk

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »

I am sorry but I dont get what the RFC has to learn from this then. 

I am confused as all medical decisoons would be based on best evidence and taken case by case. Please enlighten me.

Richmond has a history of keeping players who have injury & dont give any benefit to the buisness
They also have a history of playing injured players which was brought to the table this year.
Its caused a stir among players who are tired of these players taking the field & not being able to help win games
Medical advice falls on deaf ears down there  :lol

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:52:32 PM »
congratulations to him for the way he's recovered from the tram incident, but it's probably the best thing for the club that he's stepping aside, freeing up an extra spot for a younger player next season. best of luck in retirement Graham.
Push up!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
I wish him all the best, he did the best thing for his health imho, and he was pretty tenacious to come back like he did, made of some stern stuff is Polly.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 08:30:08 AM »
Wishing him the best. It was incredibly brave to come back like he did. Real character. He was a very good mark. He made the right decision for himself and for the club. Good on him

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 09:03:46 AM »
Best of luck for the future Graham. Would be great to have you hand your No.6 to Dustin Martin  :clapping

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 09:33:55 AM »
Is there a club with a bigger social conscience than the tigers?

Hard to see an afl club with a bigger heart than richmond when you think pof cuz and Pollie. No other club would have invested in either of these two let alone both :thumbsup

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 09:55:08 AM »
Is there a club with a bigger social conscience than the tigers?

Hard to see an afl club with a bigger heart than richmond when you think pof cuz and Pollie. No other club would have invested in either of these two let alone both :thumbsup

Was just gonna say that....

Says a lot about the stability of the club that we can do this... anyone imagine this happening back in e.g. the Daphne era?