Author Topic: Positives from today's game?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Positives from today's game?
« on: August 29, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
Most from 2nd half obviously.

Fire away.....

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Positives from today's game?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »
There were plenty in the 2nd half.

I want to single post to congratulate Jake King on his performance this year.

I've knocked Jake a bit over the journey with his brain fades and poor disposals but he's been fantastic of late. Hats off Kingy, gave it 110% today.
Go Tigers!

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
The biggest positive from today's game from my perspective is that I managed to resist the almost overwhelming urge to dong umpire no.23 with my binoculars as he exited the arena directly below me.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
Jake King would finish top 3 in our best and fairest if the count started mid year.

I doubted him in the first half but TM was right he is a gem. So much more better than Nahas

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »
the way Lids reponded to his pee poor first half.

the way the boys responded as a unit in the second half.

Martin getting exp playing on a gun in full flight(boak)

Perfect way to fnish the season I reckon, if we had of won the young kids wouldve gone into preseason thinking they were bulletproof, this brought them down a peg or two and reminded them they still have a lot of work to do.

Jake King, has finally settled down and showing he can put it together consistently. Now he can sign that contract  :lol

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
Gourdis played a great game in defense under the direction of Moore. Loved the play he made running off his opponent who was almost directly begind him at the start of his jog.

White was also impressive, particularly his goal from where the 50m arch meets the boundaryline. Morton played his best game for the year, Post was strong in the contest and Cotchin looked a class above when he was able to break his tag.

Stripes

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
Gourdis played a great game in defense under the direction of Moore. Loved the play he made running off his opponent who was almost directly begind him at the start of his jog.

Interesting Stripes I thought Moore was very poor today. He had what I call McGuane disease - played to far off his man too often for my liking

Having said I though Gourdis was OK

White was also impressive, particularly his goal from where the 50m arch meets the boundaryline. Morton played his best game for the year, Post was strong in the contest and Cotchin looked a class above when he was able to break his tag.

I enjoyed Matty White's game along with Kingy

Was happy to see more of the "good" Post rather than an entire day of the bad, lacklustre Post. However, there is still too much of the bad - he needs more consistency

Really like Cotch's game today - natural born leader is that young man

And agree about Mitch Morton's game - best game I've seen him play BOG by a long way IMHO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »

Young Dusty was showing all the signs of a first year player running out of legs over the last couple of weeks.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Interesting Stripes I thought Moore was very poor today. He had what I call McGuane disease - played to far off his man too often for my liking

Having said I though Gourdis was OK

Moore showed great leadership in defence. I was sitting just behind the goals today above the Cheer Squad and saw/heard Moore directing Gourdis and the others where to stand and what to do more than once. Saved our behinds more than once when his directions and support stopped certain goals. I thought Moore was strong in defence and completed some excellent spoiled on an opponent who was half and head taller than him.

Defence is hard to perform well in when the opposition is getting the delivery out of the middle like they were in the second quarter. Grimes showed his inexperience in a few contests and Nahas sold more than one player into trouble with silly handballs during the first half.

My opinion of course WP!

Stripes

tony_montana

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »

Young Dusty was showing all the signs of a first year player running out of legs over the last couple of weeks.

yep, but its great hes going head to head with these blokes, teaches him to run both ways bc players like that can hurt you. This is what I love about Dimmas coaching so far, he doesn't hide anyone on the field, and players lean from this

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »

yep, but its great hes going head to head with these blokes, teaches him to run both ways bc players like that can hurt you. This is what I love about Dimmas coaching so far, he doesn't hide anyone on the field, and players lean from this

Fully agree.  Just by the number of kids we played all season and the fact each one of them got multiple opportunities - left me confident in the direction and development coming from the current football department.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 09:04:06 PM »
Moore showed great leadership in defence. I was sitting just behind the goals today above the Cheer Squad and saw/heard Moore directing Gourdis and the others where to stand and what to do more than once. Saved our behinds more than once when his directions and support stopped certain goals. I thought Moore was strong in defence and completed some excellent spoiled on an opponent who was half and head taller than him.

Defence is hard to perform well in when the opposition is getting the delivery out of the middle like they were in the second quarter. Grimes showed his inexperience in a few contests and Nahas sold more than one player into trouble with silly handballs during the first half.

My opinion of course WP!

Stripes

Fair enough Stripes

You've actually highlighted another one of my "bug bears" with Kel Moore. He certainly appears to give a lot of the direction out there (flaps his arm alot) but sometimes I wish he'd employ his own advice...I've heard him yell to others to cover the opposition but then he fails to do it himself .... very frustrating
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 09:09:46 PM »
I'll chuck in a positive from left field, with the possible consequence of starting a flame war!

I thought the action of inviting Wallace to the President's function and then seeing him watching the game seated next to March (and I assume March's wife) spoke volumes of the culture and fibre being (re)built in our club.  Wallace didn't succeed as coach, he left on average(at best) terms, lost the support of the president and he hasn't owned up (publicly anyway) to much culpability in regards to the state he left us in, and yet March and club had the moral courage to invite him back and respect his involvement.  Our club suffered very very badly (rightly or wrongly) in the past from some terrible public perceptions about sacking coaches, player cliques, poor moral governance etc etc but actions like this are good indicators that much has changed off-field at our club for the better and even though my initial reaction at seeing him next to March today was "what the?", thinking further about it I think that what wasn't said, said more.

Fire away!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 09:12:11 PM »
 I was impressed again with our Irish fella, he really is getting better each game, shame he got crunched.  The fight back was impressive, they nearly pulled it off.  The game was like our season really, a late rally showing some real go just a bit too late, but showing promise for the future.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 09:35:07 PM »
I'll chuck in a positive from left field, with the possible consequence of starting a flame war!

I thought the action of inviting Wallace to the President's function and then seeing him watching the game seated next to March (and I assume March's wife) spoke volumes of the culture and fibre being (re)built in our club.  Wallace didn't succeed as coach, he left on average(at best) terms, lost the support of the president and he hasn't owned up (publicly anyway) to much culpability in regards to the state he left us in, and yet March and club had the moral courage to invite him back and respect his involvement.  Our club suffered very very badly (rightly or wrongly) in the past from some terrible public perceptions about sacking coaches, player cliques, poor moral governance etc etc but actions like this are good indicators that much has changed off-field at our club for the better and even though my initial reaction at seeing him next to March today was "what the?", thinking further about it I think that what wasn't said, said more.

Fire away!
Well said smokey.  Right or wrong, I don't think Wallace set out to do badly by our club.  No one sets sail for fail, sometimes circumstance sinks your aspirations.  He gets the blame for a lot but never the kudos for some of the fellas we have that have come good that were picked up during his days.
Lots of people name their swords......