Author Topic: So how did you see season 2010?  (Read 811 times)

Ramps

So how did you see season 2010?
« on: August 29, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
The performance of the players?
The performance of the coach?
The Big Improvers?
The disappointments?
The Development of Junior Players?
etc etc etc

tony_montana

Re: So how did you see season 2010?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
Overall a definite pass mark from where we're coming from. The development of a number of players (not just 1st year ones) was really encouraging and dare i say it exciting. I'm talking about the likes of King, Tuck, Morton, White & Edwards (apart from Morton & Edwards all limited footballers) but importantly they have been taught to accept it and play roles that allows them to compliment the side, thus their weaknesses arent exposed on a regular basis. Fantastic coaching from Dimma to finally have a richmond side be able to get bit players to play BIT ROLES! every side needs them!

The thing that has me feeling pretty damn happy is that at seasons beginning I could only name 12 players who i saw as long term players for the club, ie players who could help us become a sustained finals side. Reckon when i do that list again now, it'll be around 20 - 20odd  :gotigers

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
The performance of the players? C+Impressive recovery from where we were but we are still capable of playing very badly. Big questions about our back 6 and being able to find alternative avenues to goal. Also serious question of what void will be left by Cuz retiring. Leadership void that will be very tough to fill.
The performance of the coach? B+ can't fault Dimma too much really. Stayed calm in the crisis and stuck to the message. Only thing I think he failed in was getting our zone up and running against better sides but thats not as critical as it was 12 months ago.
The Big Improvers? (off the top of my head in order) Riewoldt, Newman, Graham, King, Edwards, White
The disappointments? Tambling, Nahas, Moore, McGuane,
The Development of Junior Players? Great by the looks of it but still think we are short on raw talent.
etc etc etc

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
Rating: C

First 6 rounds were non-competitive. In hindsight it was a mixture of Dimma taking time trying to find the right mix as far as the team structure and our  players especially newbies adjusting to this new gameplan and the level and intensity of AFL footy in general.
Next 3 weeks was about becoming competitive. Tucky brought back from obscurity to add some hardness and experience and we pushed Adelaide for 3/4s and Hawthorn all the way.
Finally broke through to pump Port at AAMI and then won 5 from 6 games knocking off finalists Swans and Freo.
The North loss saw the bubble burst and with the young guys tiring and suspensions to Cotch and Jacko we fell away badly again to being non-competitive against archrivals Pies and Blues. Last 6 weeks has been up and down like a yo-yo with our form. A competitive effort followed by a shocker. So typical of young sides though to be that shockingly inconsistent.

Rating: B

Dimma has done what we needed and expected him to do. Play the kids (everyone bar Jordie played from the senior list) and teach a new gameplan that was more about ballwinning, teamwork and 1%ers such as tackling.

Too early and unfair to judge him as far as tactics given he has us in development mode. Even the Club has admitted Dimma has only installed and focussed phase one of his gameplan. Phase two is yet to come.

The Big Improvers?
Jack, Edwards, Connors, Morton (past month as a mid), Gus, King.

The disappointments?
McGuane, Nahas, Hislop, Polo, Tambling (inj?).

12 debutants in a season is a great sign. Dimma obviously wanting to get games into our cubs which is exactly what he should be doing. It's still early days to judge given the low expectations/unknown/surprise factor. Next year will show a clearer picture with opposition clubs now having seen our cubs playing Dimma's gameplan. The more cubs who can step up another level again in 2011 will determine how we'll go next year and beyond.

Morton going back to Coburg for six weeks to go from a midsized forward to a valuable midfielder in the past month is another sign of Dimma's developmental regimes. Early signs good but once again the proof for Mitch is next year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 10:23:09 PM »

Some were great some were extremely disappointing but the good thing is we blooded all the newbies on our list with the exception of Contin & Westhoff which was great sign

He did what he promised to do and that was to play the kids and develop a game plan that is exciting but also a game plan that will lead to success. 

The million $$$ question is how long willl it take.

The real test starts now. I've always been a believer that it is the 2nd & 3rd years that defines a coach but so far so good with Dimma.

I've got no doubt tough calls will continue to be made. And even I don't agree with them I will applaud him for having the guts to do it

The Big Improvers?

King, Reiwoldt, Edwards, White, Tuck & Morton over the last month

The disappointments?

Nahas, Post, McGuane,

The fact that we actually played so many but more importantly gave them a "run of games" as opposed to having them play 1 game and then dropping them. Then added to that when we played them we gave them game time as opposed to "pine time" showed that we were fair dinkum about developing our kids and that has to be a good thing. 

But the development runs deeper than just the young blokes. The fact that the likes of King, Morton and Tuck were able to take on board the new way Dimma wanted them to play and become it would appear right now better players shows that he is a good communicator at all levels
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Tigermonk

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »
The performance of the players?   (D)
The performance of the coach?   (D)
The Big Improvers?  Edwards Rewoldt Cotchin
The disappointments?  McMahon not getting a game  ;D
The Development of Junior Players? (D)
etc etc etc

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:49:45 PM »
The performance of the players? C+Impressive recovery from where we were but we are still capable of playing very badly. Big questions about our back 6 and being able to find alternative avenues to goal. Also serious question of what void will be left by Cuz retiring. Leadership void that will be very tough to fill.
The performance of the coach? B+ can't fault Dimma too much really. Stayed calm in the crisis and stuck to the message. Only thing I think he failed in was getting our zone up and running against better sides but thats not as critical as it was 12 months ago.
The Big Improvers? (off the top of my head in order) Riewoldt, Newman, Graham, King, Edwards, White
The disappointments? Tambling, Nahas, Moore, McGuane,
The Development of Junior Players? Great by the looks of it but still think we are short on raw talent.
etc etc etc

Jake you need to fix up the quotes here lol.... :gotigers