Author Topic: Herald-Sun's Live chat & Tiger report card  (Read 1194 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Herald-Sun's Live chat & Tiger report card
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:22:17 PM »
LIVE CHAT - Tiger report card

* Jon Ralph
    * August 30, 2010

HOW do you rate Richmond's 2010 season? Read Jon Ralph's verdict and replay his live chat with readers.

RICHMOND END-OF-SEASON REPORT CARD

Won 6 Lost 16 Finished 15th

THE LIST

FINDS OF 2010

Jack Riewoldt,  Dustin Martin, David Astbury, Daniel Connors, Shane Edwards, Angus Graham

TRADE POTENTIAL

Robin Nahas, Mitch Morton

GOING, GOING ...

Adam Thomson, Dean Polo, Tom Hislop

GONE

Ben Cousins, Jordan McMahon, Troy Simmonds, Graham Polak, Relton Roberts

WHAT THEY NEED

Time, and lots of it. The midfield looks solid, and there are enough key defenders, even if they don’t have an elite one. One of Astbury, Ben Griffiths or Jayden Post will develop into the foil for Jack Riewoldt, but they want a goalkicking half-forward in the Chris Knights mould that doesn’t get in Riewoldt’s way. The problem is, who do they give up?

DRAFT PICKS
6, 29, 46, 63, 80

CLUB LEADERS

Kicks                   Brett Deledio   302
Marks                  Jack Riewoldt  123
Handballs             Shane Tuck    283
Clearances           Dustin Martin  101
Clangers              Dustin Martin    63
Tackles               Shane Tuck     103
Hitouts                Angus Graham 288
Goals                   Jack Riewoldt   78
Goal assists          Jack Riewoldt     9
Spoils                  Will Thursfield   75
Inside-50s            Brett Deledio    76
Most benchings     Dustin Martin    60
Most minutes        Jack Riewoldt 2642
Players used                               42
Played every game                        4

MIKE SHEAHAN’S VERDICT

In all the circumstances, it has been a most encouraging season. Six wins and a draw, plus several honourable losses, is an excellent return from a team that languished at 0-9. The future looks promising under the leadership of Newman and Deledio, with Cotchin, Riewoldt and Martin emerging stars. Foley’s return will help, too.

B&F FAVOURITE: Chris Newman

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-chat-tiger-report-card/story-e6frf9jf-1225911784115

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Herald-Sun's Live chat & Tiger report card
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:32:17 PM »
Jon Ralph's live chat....

For me in review, great year for the Tigers. Simple game plan executed well, plenty of development in the kids, and plenty of room to grow too.

Question marks - still not sure who of the defenders will become elite, and which of Post, Griffiths, and Astbury is the foil for Riewoldt. Can Martin get a lot better or is he just a man child?

Yeah, I agree Morton probably won't get traded. Not much to offer up though so his name was thrown in. He saved himself from trade bait in the last month, and especially last week. He was exceptional

What is everyone's thoughts on Tambling as trade potential? I thought about including him but figured he wouldn't get a lot in exchange. I think they will probably keep him

In terms of trades, the club would like another attacking midfielder like Chris Knights. Hardwick confirmed that on SEN radio on Sunday. But then again Morton has become that player. Can he maintain the rage?
The club won't give up its first pick - no 6 - but would they give up their second pick?
I hope not.

I think Martin is a super player, and can only get better. How good for Tigers fans to have a ten year player like that guaranteed. He might not have as big an up side as some others, but he's that good already it probably doesn't matter

If Knights is desperate to go from Adelaide it would probably take a second round pick. Would they trade a player like McGuane? Or maybe Thursfield?
Think both of them are chances to be traded

Jake King a total revelation. Not just a defensive forward, actually kicking goals too. Superb year by him. Had a chat to him mid way through the year and a ripping bloke too.
Ditto for Shane Tuck.

What do you think the club needs to get with its pick 6? Sure to be a super player?

Sam Day a huge talent from SA. Tall, mobile, great hands. Will probably go to the Gold Coast unless he's slipped in the last few weeks

Few votes for Gaff now - quick Victorian midfielder our man Jay Clark loves too.

Not sure Josh Toy is going anywhere. Spoke to someone from the Gold Coast this week who said he only played three games but starred in every one in the VFL for the Suns this year

Yeah, fascinated that the Eagles would consider trading pick four. Shows Woosher is desperate to save his skin next year. The draft experts out there say this is a bumper draft, so pick six will still get someone amazing.
As you guys are saying, an outside mid would be great, but then again they can put Deledio into that position. Foley back next year helps so much too. He's almost been forgotten this year

No, Richmond no chance of making the finals this [sic he meant next] year and sure Dimma and co will make that point over the summer. They need to ensure the expectations aren't that high because then you get the Matty Knights syndrome, where you create expectations you can't match 

Lids a sensational year. Sure he would have been disappointed to play down back early in the year but it was the best thing for him. With him, Connors and Newey down there, they all play tight and charge forward. It's not Bourke Barrott Clay but it's the modern day version transported to half back

Agree Lids really struggled with the tag, but he did break through that in the last year or two. The issue for Richmond is if Foley comes back and and Martin comes on, then Lids can get back into the midfield in bursts and not get so heavily tagged every week.

No, I think Jackson and Foley are non-tradeable. Jackson tags better than anyone else in the team and Foley is a vice captain and heart and soul player.

Yeah, Hirdy was pick 79. The club would be hugely proud of the late picks and trades - Nason, Dea, Webberley, Taylor, et al.
Taylor finally showed something yesterday. Turned it over a bit, but huge talent.
Not sure about Dea, Webberley, Farmer, Grimes, but they will keep pumping games into them to make sure

Yeah. Collins was super in the middle of the year, especially with his cameo against Sydney. Probably the best part of the club's development is that Collins would have got a big head in recent years after that flash of brilliance, but now competition for spots means he still needs to keep firing to stay in the side.

I think the club would feel they are in much better shape with their ruckmen than they were last year. Graham got a bit banged up and looked slow as treacle by yesterday, but a massive year from him. Vickery finally showed something and then dropped off, but still massive wraps within the club about him.
And Even Browne showed a bit at times too. Graham should be the man for the next 6-7 years and Vickery will come on when he gets a body

The last thing Richmond needs is Josh Fraser. All that does is stifle Vickery and Browne's development, and as a bash and crash ruckman Graham is everything Fraser isn't

I heard Dimma say he thought Edwards might be in the top four in the b and f, which I thought was a massive call. But he's the one doing the votes.
I assume Lids, Riewoldt and Newman are in the top three, with Tuck probably pushing hard too. ANother year of growth from Edwards, but needs to go again

Someone will have a real crack at Salopek. The best thing about Richmond's season is that where last year they were the laughing stock that no one wanted to go to, now they have a chance to attract some of those out of contracted players.
The new facilities will help too

Would be astonished if Hislop stayed on.
Here are my outs at Richmond
Hislop
Thomson
R Roberts
Cousins
Polak
Simmonds
McMahon
Polo
That's eight. The club said they might get rid of eight, and that's six on the main list and two rookies

Plenty of optimism out there from you guys!
As for Cousins, great that he got through the year and could have gone on, but I think he would have been too much of a distraction again next year.
Just like Richo who could have played on, he retired at the right time and Riewoldt flourished

Drummond would be great for any club, but to be honest Richmond has a couple of pacy left footers who distribute well in Connors and Newman.
Spoke to Connors for a story last week. Super kid. Glad he's learnt from his mistakes

Craig Cameron on Saturday confirmed the club would assign a minder to the boys and Cuz for Mad Monday. Not sure where they are today for it. Probably a pub in Richmond somewhere. Any whispers?

Tambling has needed to play in a good side for a while now. Means he doesn't get a defensive opponent. Big year for him next year but I think with a good pre-season and some confidence he can play a solid role. Will never be a star, but he will play 200 games for Richmond

Grimes did some excellent things, didn't he. Gourdis is no star but looked OK as well. Worried about Rance. Just runs around a little like a headless chook at times

Think 8 wins next year would still be OK if the kids continues to show development.

Not sure why Richmond only played one ruckman yesterday. Especially with Graham down on form. Vickery played two good games in a row then just dropped off.
But Hardwick and Benny Gale are very confident he will still come on given time

No one would want Thomson. Him and Hislop turned into genuine list cloggers. Wallace recruited them and didn't play them, but as it turned out the club already turned over 12 last year so didn't matter that much.
Think Thursfield is a great stopper but just doesn't provide much offensive drive.

Yeah, the kids like Astbury and Griffiths will most benefit from another big preseason. Dimma said yesterday the pre-season would start in late October, so hopefully Cotchin can stay fit and get a measured pre-season into him.
He would have been keen for the season to keep going given his last quarter. Is finally big enough to burn the tag

THAT'S IT FOR ME GUYS. Thanks again for all your feedback. Great year by the Tigers, but they need to maintain the rage over the pre-season instead of getting complacent.
Big few months ahead with trying to lure a player like Chris Knights, and a player like Andrew Gaff to add to the midfield. But with that pair and the progression of the kids, it's Tiger Time baby

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-chat-tiger-report-card/story-e6frf9jf-1225911784115

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:21:28 PM »
Ralph is a tiger man isn't he?

Go Tigers!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Ralph is a tiger man isn't he?

Yes, very much so :thumbsup

gerkin greg

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
MIKE SHEAHAN’S VERDICT
Six wins and a draw, plus several honourable losses, is an excellent return from a team that languished at 0-9.

Who was the draw against Mike? You tit.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
I'd add Gilligan and Nahas to those delistings. Wouldn't have a problem swapping a couple of picks for Knights and Hamson, while picking up Gaff

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:02 AM »
I'd add Gilligan and Nahas to those delistings. Wouldn't have a problem swapping a couple of picks for Knights and Hamson, while picking up Gaff

Ive always like Brodie Smith although Atley has alot of support and I wouldnt be disappointed if we got him. We should  get a quality player with our first pick.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:05:09 AM »

What draft picks could we swap for those two and still be able to pick up Gaff?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »
Gaff is a bit too one paced for me, still hoping for Day or Atley

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:35:11 PM »
Gaff is a bit too one paced for me, still hoping for Day or Atley

I agree Gaff doesnt seem to have a 2nd gear. Smith and Atley both have a 2nd gear. The question is Smith is more inside who can also play outside from what I saw, Atley seems to be an outside runner with great speed and sidestep as part of the package. Either would be real good for us!