Author Topic: Skipper excited by Tiger progress (AFL Record)  (Read 949 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Skipper excited by Tiger progress (AFL Record)
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »
Skipper excited by Tiger progress
PETER RYAN
AFL Record, Round 22, 2010

Everyone has enjoyed Richmond's efforts this season. Its performances are testament to what unity, a sound plan and a mindset focused on growth can achieve.

Skipper Chris Newman is under no illusion about the work still in front of the young group, but he is excited.

"I can really see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can see what we're trying do and can see the progression in the young guys, so it is a really exciting position to be in," he said.

"I am really lucky to be in this position (as captain), because I feel like we are going to get some success quicker than I anticipated."

There is no risk of heightening expectations. This version of Richmond is patiently walking down the path of continuous learning, risking failure to move closer to success.

When you listen to Newman speak about the young players, you get a sense of why this year has been one of progress.

"They (the youngsters) have made it really easy (for the more experienced players) to guide them through what is expected. They have a really good attitude, and that applies across the board," Newman said.

Introducing 11 first-gamers - a 12th is likely this weekend with Dylan Grimes expected to play - is a challenge, but Newman said coach Damien Hardwick had created the perfect environment for young players to get better.

"He provides a forum for those guys to be able to ask questions," Newman said.

"It really was a learning year for all of us. We go through a lot of footage, a lot of data and training and everything (we focus on) is game-specific.

"Damien has given us a licence to learn new things. He is not whacking us over the head if we are doing something wrong. He is encouraging us to take risks and play our style, regardless of the opposition."

Newman mentioned Ben Nason and Jeromey Webberley as two players who showed in 2010 they were up to the level. Both were mature-aged recruits. Dustin Martin's potential goes without saying and Newman has seen good signs from David Gourdis.

"The young boys who have come in this year have really impressed me with the way they have gone about it," he said. "They're always keen to learn and are very respectful. They are all very good characters."

Such qualities were essential early in the season because Newman admits that until the first win came in round 10 (against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium), it was hard to get the ball rolling.

"The wins (six in total) have made us hungry for success. The boys see the difference now between when you lose and when you win," said Newman, who has played in just 56 wins in 174 games.

"There is nothing better than the 10 minutes after you have won and you're sitting down and having a stretch and a laugh without a care in the world."

Newman personifies what Richmond is aiming to become: hard-working, humble and team-oriented. For the skipper, there is no bigger motivator than those outside the fence who have stuck by the team from start to finish in 2010.

"The supporters have been outstanding this year."

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Skipper excited by Tiger progress (AFL Record)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
Well most of them have been Newy

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
Pretty satisfied with Newman's progress as skipper. Reckon he's come on leaps and bounds, wasn't a natural at first but very good now.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »
Pretty satisfied with Newman's progress as skipper. Reckon he's come on leaps and bounds, wasn't a natural at first but very good now.

You really do expose your lack of knowledge sometimes.

Newman was captain through most of his junior career. Might have something to do with natural leadership skills.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »
Strange tactic by hardwick allow 18-19-20 year old players to ask questions.

The Wallace talking to the kids once-per-month approach seemed the way forward

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »

You really do expose your lack of knowledge sometimes.

Newman was captain through most of his junior career. Might have something to do with natural leadership skills.
I didn't like him as captain until this year.  Thought he was too timid.  Thought he really stood up this year and stood out a bit more and led from the front a bit.  Leaders don't look flash hanging out at the back being all shy and coy.  That is how he struck me initially.  Just an outsiders perspective of course.  The other thing is his body language, he doesn't look people in the eye when they talk to him, he looks at his feet as if he can't be bothered listening to them or as if he is thinking about what mum is cooking for dinner or something.  Take charge son!  Look ya troops in the eye !
Lots of people name their swords......