Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 380181 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1695 on: August 16, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »
Hence he should stay as a coach/mentor.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1696 on: August 16, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »
In the same way Ivan Maric has been great for culture keep Houli around for this role only. No senior on field performances please!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1697 on: August 16, 2021, 12:32:00 PM »
we will see just how infatuated Hardwick is with players.
Probably should not have to have the talk but selfish is selfish and we will see if he has the guts to give him a tap on the shoulder.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1698 on: August 16, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »
we will see just how infatuated Hardwick is with players.
Probably should not have to have the talk but selfish is selfish and we will see if he has the guts to give him a tap on the shoulder.

Well lets see if Houli has the best interests of the club. He seems like a man who puts others first. This will be a huge test for him and the club.
If he wants to play on he should try his hand in the pre-season draft. An awesome clubman and champion player, however his time is up at the Tigers.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Bachar Houli Retires
« Reply #1699 on: August 19, 2021, 09:49:43 AM »
Bachar has retired

What a career.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Bachar Houli Retires
« Reply #1700 on: August 19, 2021, 09:52:29 AM »
What an awesome career. Selfless call to end it now too. Onya Bash!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1701 on: August 19, 2021, 10:01:36 AM »
Selfless or tapped on the shoulder? I think the latter.

Despite that, what a club champion. Losing him and Astbury will hurt a lot internally. I hope they find ways to keep them around (ie match day runner, coaching etc).

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1702 on: August 19, 2021, 10:04:46 AM »
A few more to come..
The only word I can articulate is THANKS.
A legend of the Richmond Football Cub.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1703 on: August 19, 2021, 10:05:54 AM »
Bachar Houli to retire as a 'Tiger for life'

Three-time Richmond premiership defender Bachar Houli has retired from the game, effective immediately.

By Richmond Media - Just now

Three-time Richmond premiership defender Bachar Houli has retired from the game, effective immediately.

Houli played 232 AFL matches, including 206 at Richmond, where he arrived via the pre-season draft prior to the 2011 season, after four years and 26 games with Essendon.

Houli will be remembered as an ultra-consistent performer that thrived in the biggest of games.

The 33-year-old produced three memorable Grand Final performances in each of his premiership victories, finishing runner-up to Dustin Martin for the Norm Smith Medal in both the 2017 and 2019 triumphs.

Houli also fought valiantly throughout the 2020 Grand Final to complete the game despite sustaining a significant calf injury early in the match.

The defensive dasher’s consistency across his full career at Richmond is evident through top 10 Jack Dyer Medal finishes in seven of the past 10 seasons.

Houli was an All Australian during the 2019 premiership campaign, a season where he averaged 28 disposals and 4.8 rebound 50s per game.

Off the field, Houli’s legacy at Richmond will live on for many years to come, with the Bachar Houli Foundation, which Houli founded, building young leaders within the Muslim community.

Based out of the Swinburne Centre, the Foundation aims to support social cohesion by fostering young Muslims with a sense of belonging through sport.

The first Bachar Houli Program, launched in 2013, was the first Muslim Football Academy in Australia. It has since reached over 35,000 participants nationally and will continue to expand.

Houli said his 15-year journey in the AFL had gone by quickly.

“I have been fortunate enough to play at two great clubs, and to be a part of the history of this game,” he added.

“Not only did I want to play as many games as possible, but I wanted to educate Australia, about my faith (and) about the religion of Islam, the religion of peace. I hope I have left a sense of peace in everyone’s heart.

“I sincerely thank the Club and the AFL for allowing me to be me.

“Thank you to the (entire) Richmond Football Club, from Peggy, to the Chief (Brendon Gale), to the amazing Tiger Army... for allowing me to be a part of this amazing organisation.

“It’s time to go fishing, Tiger for life.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1003464/bachar-houli-to-retire-as-a-tiger-for-life-

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1705 on: August 19, 2021, 10:20:19 AM »
how can anyone not love this guy or the club for what they have done over the last 4 years.

great speech, so humble.

These 2 guys have made the transition to our next flag much easier  :clapping

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1706 on: August 19, 2021, 10:22:32 AM »
Thanks Bachar

We are all the better for having you at Punt Road, for what you bought to the field and also off the field.

If you have taken the time to listen to him talk over the years id hope everyone has learnt a thing or too.

Kind, humble, loving  :bow

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1707 on: August 19, 2021, 10:34:51 AM »
Well done & thank you Bachar

Right call not just for the Club but you as well...

You are indeed a Tiger for Life and for that we are eternally grateful

Great bloke off the field, a true gentleman  :clapping

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1708 on: August 19, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
“Houli to kick a goal. He does…”

*tiger army erupts*

Heaven.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1709 on: August 19, 2021, 10:43:55 AM »
Wow. What a champion person. Great speech and tribute.

He has been a great player for our club and well deserving of all the accolades he gets. The first of Dustys norm smith medals may have been his if he had of kicked those goals and if Dusty didn’t kick his last one. That one season reiterated his importance to our new style, team structure and our success.

A great speech, I particularly liked and appreciated how he was moved to thank his god in front of all his teammates too and it highlights how much his faith is integrated in all of his life and is wholly part of who he is as a person. I’m sure many people would’ve cringed when he got down on his knees to thank Allah but to me it showed, more importantly, that to him it’s not just a belief, a religion or a tradition but his faith is his life.

Anyway, congratulations Bachar all the best in the rest of your life and hopefully your sons and daughters will be just as good as you
The club that keeps giving.