Author Topic: Richmond looking at recruiting from other sports (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2648 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond looking at recruiting from other sports (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 19, 2010, 04:05:16 AM »
I couldn't find this on the net so I typed it in.....

TIGES AIM HIGH
By Craig Hutchison
Sunday Herald-Sun 19 SEP 2010, Page 82

KARMICHAEL Hunt and Israel Folau weren't the only big-name rival code stars in AFL clubs' sights this year.

Basketballer Joe Ingles also attracted keen interest from several clubs, Richmond even discussing the prospect of the 203cm Ingles joining the Tigers.

But the logistics proved overwhelming, with the player having a two-year deal to play in Spain.

While that project is all but dead, the Tigers are looking at other similarly elite sportsmen from other codes.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond looking at recruiting from other sports (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 11:05:02 PM »
Jay Clark from the Hun on Ch 7 tonight is just two years late  :wallywink with the story that Richmond once asked basketballer Joe Ingles about switching to footy and coming to Tigerland.

Ox

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:14:10 PM »
we need a couple of archery exponents to make finals

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
Casey Stoner would be a good FP.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Ox

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »

Ox

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:11:08 AM »

Ox

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 01:12:44 AM »

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 01:58:08 AM »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick tagged Boomer Joe Ingles to join Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:43:34 AM »
Damien Hardwick tagged Boomer Joe Ingles to join Tigers

Jay Clark, Russell Gould
    June 27, 2012

RICHMOND approached Boomers star Joe Ingles about making a shock switch from basketball to AFL.

The Tigers confirmed they targeted the 203cm powerhouse among several other basketballers in Damien Hardwick's first year as coach in 2010.

"Damien had a chat and kick with him to see if he was interested," football chief Craig Cameron told the Herald Sun.

Although the club's adventurous recruiting plot went no further, friends are convinced the 24-year-old has the ability to make a seamless transition to the AFL.

A keen footballer as a junior, Ingles' athleticism will next month help spearhead the country's Olympic medal hopes in London.

Former South Melbourne Dragons owner Mark Cowan, who is on a sub-committee at Richmond, helped alert the club to Ingles' talent. Cowan likened his football potential to West Coast sensation Nic Naitanui.

"I've got no doubt he could do it (swap to AFL) because it is the way he moves," Cowan said.

"You can see he's got the turn of pace, the explosiveness and speed, and obviously at 203cm he's got the vertical leap side of things covered.

"I've had an occasional kick with him. He's a left footer and he's a very accurate and penetrating kick. He can kick 50m. The closest player to him in the AFL at the moment is Nic Naitanui."

The 2007 NBL rookie of the year - who is totally focused on basketball heading into his second Olympics - said the football club's interest in him was short-lived.

"I was about to go to Europe at the time and start that (so) it died off pretty quickly," Ingles said.

AFL players with basketball backgrounds include Collingwood's Scott Pendlebury, Melbourne's Jack Watts and North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein.

Ingles is contracted to play another season for Regal FC Barcelona after becoming only the second Australian to win the 2012 Spanish league championship this month.

Joe Ingles in action for the Boomers against Greece this week. Picture: George Salpigtidis Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/damien-hardwick-tagged-boomer-joe-ingles-to-join-tigers/story-e6frf9jf-1226409599613

Offline Crazy_Ivan

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Would Be Great To Have This Bloke Running Down The Wing At The 'G'.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 09:57:28 AM »
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »
 :lol

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »
I like how they made a starfish with a hole in the middle, very creative.
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 12:05:16 PM »
It's called a 345 Starfish

because it's made up of 5 69ers

a classic high point scoring move

gerkin greg

Re: Damien Hardwick tagged Boomer Joe Ingles to join Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »
Damien Hardwick tagged Boomer Joe Ingles to join Tigers

Jay Clark, Russell Gould
    June 27, 2012

RICHMOND approached Boomers star Joe Ingles about making a shock switch from basketball to AFL.

The Tigers confirmed they targeted the 203cm powerhouse among several other basketballers in Damien Hardwick's first year as coach in 2010.

"Damien had a chat and kick with him to see if he was interested," football chief Craig Cameron told the Herald Sun.

Although the club's adventurous recruiting plot went no further, friends are convinced the 24-year-old has the ability to make a seamless transition to the AFL.

A keen footballer as a junior, Ingles' athleticism will next month help spearhead the country's Olympic medal hopes in London.

Former South Melbourne Dragons owner Mark Cowan, who is on a sub-committee at Richmond, helped alert the club to Ingles' talent. Cowan likened his football potential to West Coast sensation Nic Naitanui.

"I've got no doubt he could do it (swap to AFL) because it is the way he moves," Cowan said.

"You can see he's got the turn of pace, the explosiveness and speed, and obviously at 203cm he's got the vertical leap side of things covered.

"I've had an occasional kick with him. He's a left footer and he's a very accurate and penetrating kick. He can kick 50m. The closest player to him in the AFL at the moment is Nic Naitanui."

The 2007 NBL rookie of the year - who is totally focused on basketball heading into his second Olympics - said the football club's interest in him was short-lived.

"I was about to go to Europe at the time and start that (so) it died off pretty quickly," Ingles said.

AFL players with basketball backgrounds include Collingwood's Scott Pendlebury, Melbourne's Jack Watts and North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein.

Ingles is contracted to play another season for Regal FC Barcelona after becoming only the second Australian to win the 2012 Spanish league championship this month.

Joe Ingles in action for the Boomers against Greece this week. Picture: George Salpigtidis Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/damien-hardwick-tagged-boomer-joe-ingles-to-join-tigers/story-e6frf9jf-1226409599613

I hear the Eagles are going to sign his Boomers teammate Mark Worthington