Author Topic: THE GRIGG vs COLLINS DEBATE!  (Read 60956 times)

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: THE GRIGG vs COLLINS DEBATE!
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »
Good lord!

Carltank fans are going a bit overboard me thinks!

Quote from: albyg
I can see a couple of comparisons to J Hird with Collins, he is still a skinny kid yet shows plenty of courage. Is the old 6'2 like Mr Hird, once he fills out he could really be a versatile player for the Navy Blues, can play on ball and also as a target up forward. I saw him play 2 yrs ago early and thought that he read the play very very well....all the same qualities as Mr Hird, lets hope he can get somewhere near as good as him....

The other great thing about the swap, is that Grigg has filled out and really is at his physical peak now, he will only get slower from here on in, Collins on the other hand still hasnt reached his physical peak yet has played probably as many good games as Grigg. I really think we won out of this deal, probably not this year but in the years to come....

Come on Blues

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769231
He is no hird but that last bit dose strike up a problem... has Grigg reached his peak? the swap overall was ridiculous would have given pick 50 instead 

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2010, 02:16:50 PM »
Good lord!

The other great thing about the swap, is that Grigg has filled out and really is at his physical peak now, he will only get slower from here on in, Collins on the other hand still hasnt reached his physical peak yet has played probably as many good games as Grigg. I really think we won out of this deal, probably not this year but in the years to come....

Come on Blues

Oh my...So players reach their physical peak at 22 and then its all downhill from there?? Has to be the most stupid and delusional post of the year.
I liked Collo a lot but I think Grigg has a lot of upside to him. I guess we will find out next season as to who got the better deal.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »
Good lord!

I can see a couple of comparisons to J Hird with Collins, he is still a skinny kid yet shows plenty of courage. Is the old 6'2 like Mr Hird, once he fills out he could really be a versatile player for the Navy Blues, can play on ball and also as a target up forward. I saw him play 2 yrs ago early and thought that he read the play very very well....all the same qualities as Mr Hird, lets hope he can get somewhere near as good as him....

Come on Blues

Really James Hird?? Hird carried himself like a champion from day 1 and was playing a key position in his early years not struggling to break into a 15th place side. Not saying Collins can't play and only time will tell how we did in this deal (though i am rather confident it will turn out well) but that comparison is absurd.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769231

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
We know Hird Mark 2 is coming

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
He is no hird but that last bit dose strike up a problem... has Grigg reached his peak? 

Collins could be as big as Fiora in a year or two if he works at it.

the claw

« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »
Hardwick is replacing under-developed players who are far behind in development with more developed bodies to help bridge the gap with other clubs,  caused by the terrible mistakes of the Richmond board & previous coaching staff under the Casey, March & Wallace era.

Hardwick knows exactly what he is doing & what is required at Tigerland to build a competitive side. Something Wallace had no idea how to go about,  to get ahead of his past mistakes. Instead prolonged our under-develeopment & kept us behind other clubs who had maturing players the same age.

Has nothing to do with replacing players like Tuck :lol

ah so that would be a quick fix then.

just in a purely physical sense  which has more up side. a 190 88 kg 22 yr old or a 186 80 kg  21 yr old. i actually thought we were about development.
i reckon the debate has degenerated into griig v collins where i reckon we should be discussing the merits of having both grigg and collins.

and to the wankers out there ridiculing collins size aqnd pidgeon holing him nothing but a forward how times change and attitude your opinion is worth poo if you bag a player based solely on the club he plays for
suddenly collins is at carlton and he has no strengths or upside all that appear visible is his deficiencies. talk about bloody hypocrites.

collins said it himself one reason he left was because they pidgeon holed him as a forward when if any took the time to look they would see one of the most natural mids going around.
im dirty on this trade not because we have grigg he will be a good get but because we should have both players in our system.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
and to the wankers out there ridiculing collins size aqnd pidgeon holing him nothing but a forward how times change and attitude your opinion is worth poo if you bag a player based solely on the club he plays for
suddenly collins is at carlton and he has no strengths or upside all that appear visible is his deficiencies. talk about bloody hypocrites.

if any took the time to look they would see one of the most natural mids going around.

Get the rose coloured glasses of mate.
Collins is such a natural mid we didn't play him in the midfield this year and the club punted him for an opposition fringe player. This despite the fact that we are screaming for outside midfielders.
Andy has some skills but is skinny as a runt and an ordinary kick of the ball.
Overall his season was extremely disappointing and

he was wearing a Richmond jumper at the time.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:51 AM »
I have to say that the more i think about it, the more i dont like losing Collins.
Got nothing to do with Grigg. Just thought we should have held onto Collo, especially considering Grigg wanted to come to us.

I have been re-watching my favorite quarters from this year recently. Collo features prominently in nearly all of them.

Whether this was because he is a downhill skier, or one of our sparks, is another debate. But he looked classy and kicked some great goals.

Still happy we got Grigg on board.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2010, 02:54:14 PM »
He is no hird but that last bit dose strike up a problem... has Grigg reached his peak? 

Collins could be as big as Fiora in a year or two if he works at it.

LOL excellent!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »
I'm feeling sorry for Grigg already. Despite so many people trying to convince themselves and anyone else out there that they will give Grigg a chance and plenty of time, I can see the poor fellow copping all the anger from losing Collins that should be directed at the recruiters if any one. I pray  :pray that Grigg jumps out of the box early and Collins has a poor 2011 but, given a simmering discontent shown here, I would suggest the bloke is already feeling pressure to perform to justify the trade.

I can definitely see why the club made the deal and why Collins was considered a non-essential player. I hope Grigg doesn't get weighed down by supporter expectation that is blown up further by the media like Tambling did in the past. I hope we give him a chance and forget who he was traded for but just remember why we wanted Grigg in the first place...

It's about the future now I say.

Stripes

TigerTimeII

« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
I'm feeling sorry for Grigg already. Despite so many people trying to convince themselves and anyone else out there that they will give Grigg a chance and plenty of time, I can see the poor fellow copping all the anger from losing Collins that should be directed at the recruiters if any one. I pray  :pray that Grigg jumps out of the box early and Collins has a poor 2011 but, given a simmering discontent shown here, I would suggest the bloke is already feeling pressure to perform to justify the trade.

I can definitely see why the club made the deal and why Collins was considered a non-essential player. I hope Grigg doesn't get weighed down by supporter expectation that is blown up further by the media like Tambling did in the past. I hope we give him a chance and forget who he was traded for but just remember why we wanted Grigg in the first place...

It's about the future now I say.

Stripes

well said

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »
All he needs to do is have a good game when we smash Carlton in round 1, while Collins has a shocker.

He's not going to be a whipping boy for me, he was only swapped for Collins, this isn't a pick 19/McMahon scenario.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2010, 05:51:13 PM »
All he needs to do is have a good game when we smash Carlton in round 1, while Collins has a shocker.

He's not going to be a whipping boy for me, he was only swapped for Collins, this isn't a pick 19/McMahon scenario.

Completely agree collins will never be the player say Callan Ward will be. We gave up a trully expendable fringe 22 player for someone whose prototype (tall, big bodied, quick utility type) is essential in today's game.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
If we played him foward would that take pressure off Jr8? if so how much?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2010, 08:18:05 PM »
If we played him foward would that take pressure off Jr8? if so how much?

If he plays forward then something will have gone awry.  We have recruited him for the midfield.