Author Topic: Richmond is NOT playing Gold Coast in round 2  (Read 1413 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond is NOT playing Gold Coast in round 2
« on: October 22, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »
Carlton is instead

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104391/default.aspx

It had previously been announced that the Suns would play their opening match against Richmond, but since then the Tigers have signed a deal to play a home game against Gold Coast in Cairns.

"We didn’t think it would work for Richmond to play the Gold Coast twice in Queensland, especially as they will also play Brisbane at the Gabba,” said AFL chief operating officer, Gillon McLachlan.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond is NOT playing Gold Coast in round 2
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:27:52 PM »
Phew! Imagine being the first team to lose to the Gold Coast!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:30:20 PM »
We still may be

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 09:09:23 PM »
The AFL screwing Richmond again when it comes to the fixture  ::). We now miss out on what would be a sponsor-friendly high-profile (GC's first game) Saturday night tv game. There was no reason why we couldn't play Gold Coast twice in Queensland and then play Brisbane once (in Melbourne at the MCG).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »
Well wasn't it us that wanted a home game in Cairns? Can hardly say the AFL are screwing us. We shouldve made the Cairns game against the Lions.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:07:57 PM »
Well wasn't it us that wanted a home game in Cairns? Can hardly say the AFL are screwing us. We shouldve made the Cairns game against the Lions.
Yep one of our home games the club wanted in Cairns against GC. This however would have been an away game. I don't care about us only playing GC once a year. It's the loss of a primetime tv slot that hurts the Club. Sponsors want to see their name on show to as many viewers as possible. The more viewers accessible the more $$$ the sponsorship will be worth to us.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
Yep one of our home games the club wanted in Cairns against GC. This however would have been an away game. I don't care about us only playing GC once a year. It's the loss of a primetime tv slot that hurts the Club. Sponsors want to see their name on show to as many viewers as possible. The more viewers accessible the more $$$ the sponsorship will be worth to us.

You do a deal with the devil (read AFL) selling home games - I suggest you read the fine print. You cant have it both ways, we want the big $$$ to play in Cairns expect the AFL to take sometihng off you in return. Sadly it is how it works, always has always will especially for the teams at the lower end of the ladder

And just on interstate travel for 2011. We are currently sitting on 3 games ...how many more will we get. I am bracing for at least 6 (2 "home" and 4 away)  >:( :'( :-X  as I said you do a deal with the devil read the fine print  :banghead :whistle
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
You do a deal with the devil (read AFL) selling home games - I suggest you read the fine print. You cant have it both ways, we want the big $$$ to play in Cairns expect the AFL to take sometihng off you in return. Sadly it is how it works, always has always will especially for the teams at the lower end of the ladder
That's true WP but it still doesn't make it right and I'm no fan of us selling home games. Playing in Cairns promotes the game and the "AFL brand" as a whole so it's not as if it's a one way street where only the RFC benefits from the $$$ being subsidised.  Knowing Andy D and co. we'll also still get home games at Etihad despite playing home games interstate :chuck.

The fixture is one issue I wish the club will arc up publicly about given how games supposedly scheduled and locked in are changed at the last moment before the draw is released to our disadvantage (Caro article last year and now this) as well as how we a forced to play at Kardinia Park despite our large supporter base not being able to get in. The club will open their gobs when they shouldn't other times but on the fixture all there is is easily accepting silence coming from the RFC :-\.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:22:25 AM »
Would have hated to played them in round 2. Better playing them later in the year so we can do some homework on them.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »
Well I suppose the positive is round 2 is now more than likely to be a home game at home at the MCG
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »
Or a Home game at Docklands against Bulldogs or Aints. As usual.  >:(
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 06:11:43 AM »
Or a Home game at Docklands against Bulldogs or Aints. As usual.  >:(
This or playing away at Kardinia Park in round 2 on a Sunday and not shown on FTA TV :banghead. Being a bottom side we just get the scraps that are left over  :P.