Author Topic: Essendon didn't trade Houli in attempt to gain Cloke in the PSD (H-Sun)  (Read 3021 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Essendon's failed attempt to lure Travis Cloke
Mark Robinson
Herald Sun
October 24, 2010 10:46PM

TRAVIS Cloke rejected a multi-million-dollar, four-year Essendon deal to stay a Magpie.

The Herald Sun can reveal the cashed-up Bombers tried to convince then out-of-contract Cloke to sit out until the pre-season draft, where they hoped to secure him with their first pick, No. 4.

Cloke signed with the Magpies 48 hours after Essendon made its audacious grab for the talented forward at the end of trade week.

Cloke's father and manager David threatened on the last day of trading to put him into the draft. It is believed the Bombers had a plan to get Cloke: by not trading Bachar Houli they would force Richmond to use its pre-season draft pick, thus elevating Essendon up the pecking order.

Gold Coast, West Coast and Richmond have the three picks before the Bombers.

The Suns are understood to be keen to add another youngster to their group, West Coast's move is not categorically known and Richmond will take Houli with the No. 3 pick.

After Cloke Sr's stunning revelation in a radio interview, the hopeful Bombers mounted a hasty, smash-and-grab foray on the Collingwood forward.

Cloke Sr said at the time: "All I said today was, if it can't come to an agreement, the option he has got is to go into the national draft; that if you can't come to terms with Collingwood, his next option is then to go into the draft."

The Bombers then circled.

Essendon recruiting manager Adrian Dodoro contacted Cloke Sr after the radio interview, a move ratified by new coach James Hird, and requested talks.

It's believed the four-year deal roughly centred on a figure of about $500,000 a year for Cloke, 23.

Cloke re-signed with Collingwood for two years - and less money than Essendon offered. The cash difference was not seen as enough for Cloke to change clubs.

In Bali with teammates, Cloke was told of Essendon's offer, with a list of pros and cons about staying or leaving.

In Collingwood's favour was that he was a premiership player with a strong opportunity to play in more premierships, his strong family connection with the club and his relationship with coach Mick Malthouse and teammates.

It's not known who Essendon is aiming to take in the pre-season draft, though it appears the club - which worked aggressively to reshape its coaching department, headed by Hird - will be just as aggressive in pursuit of any out-of-contract player.

It was reported the Bombers tried to convince former Carlton ruckman Sam Jacobs to enter the pre-season draft before he was traded to Adelaide.

Cloke Sr refused to comment yesterday. Dodoro was unavailable for comment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/essendons-failed-attempt-to-lure-travis-cloke/story-e6frf9if-1225942973305

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Essendon didn't trade Houli in attempt to gain Cloke in the PSD (H-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:03:11 AM »
Sounds like some rewriting of history going on at Windy Hill. So they held up trading Houli for a whole week despite a willingness to accept a 2nd round pick for him because they were all psychic and knew a week beforehand that Damir Cloke would get on radio just two hours before the end of trade week. Robbo's story also ignores the option for us of picking up Houli in the ND and Cloke in PSD if Cloke had not re-signed with Collingwood. We also had/have plenty of salary cap space. Essendon are so deluded and full of themselves.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »
As if we would of been stupid enough to ignore cloke with our pick
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »
Essendon are so deluded and full of themselves.

Essendon are coming across as an absolute rabble.

:lol

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »
desperate rabble.  What cracks me up is how they have burnt so many bridges, noone will go near them for years now.  Choco, laidley, Knights all treated like poo, then again Choco had his arse thrust in the air like a cat on heat lol.  They are building their new homogonised empire of fail during the pick drought, with a poo list to trade with and noone wants to go there.  They should make their new mascot the dugong feeding on the mud at the bottom.
Lots of people name their swords......

gerkin greg

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
that's an insult to the good dugong

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »
What's odd in the article is Essendon were talking pre season draft and Cloke was talking national draft. Imagine if they both agreed to do it, got their lines crossed and they ended up waiting for each other in two different drafts and Cloke got snapped up in the ND Before the Bombers Pick 8 and they were waiting for him in the pre-season draft after we took Houli for nicks!!.  Now that would have been AFL Draft GOLD!!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:46:58 PM »
Robbo is full of shi.te anyway. Heard him today stating that many people believe thatt he Tigers will make the finals but he believes that we will still be still down near the bottom. What a genius  :wallywink

I haven't heard one expert or even supporter say they believe the Tigers will make the finals this year. We should improve but we all know we have another year of development to go before we hopefully start our entrenched period in the finals before reaching premiership glory  :pray :gotigers

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
Robbo is full of shi.te anyway. Heard him today stating that many people believe thatt he Tigers will make the finals but he believes that we will still be still down near the bottom. What a genius  :wallywink

I haven't heard one expert or even supporter say they believe the Tigers will make the finals this year. We should improve but we all know we have another year of development to go before we hopefully start our entrenched period in the finals before reaching premiership glory  :pray :gotigers

We could sneak in, only because there are a few genuine basket cases - Brisbane, Essendon, Us, West Coast, Adelaide will drop after their retirements, Kangaroos, Port far from convincing.

An ordinary side could finish 9th...

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 06:46:59 PM »
Kangas will make finals easily I reckon.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »
That is the writing of a moron. It makes absolutely no sense. Damir had signed up his son, there was one sticking point over length of contract which they resolved THAT NIGHT.
How on earth could Essendon build a credible offer that afternoon?

He is a 24 carot knob end.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 09:44:44 AM »

That's if their hire plane makes it back from Arizona.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »
this article is a joke.

there is no way cloke would have gotten through to the bombers in the psd. none.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »
No one is talking finals next year? Robbo hearing voices in his head. Craig Cameron said 2012 and even that's being overly optimistic.

That's if their hire plane makes it back from Arizona.

;D

They'll all have to stick their arms out the windows and flap them really hard lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 11:58:35 AM »
haha they'll need boris and his mates to help out