Author Topic: Rhys Monteath to play with Coburg  (Read 3930 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Rhys Monteath to play with Coburg
« on: January 02, 2005, 04:49:33 AM »
Another Tiger son of a gun
By Ross Lewis
The Age
January 2, 2005

Richmond has paved the way for Rhys Monteath to follow in the footsteps of his father Bruce, the last man to captain Richmond to a premiership.

The Tigers have not made any promises to the 20-year-old East Fremantle midfielder, but have organised for him to play the 2005 season with VFL affiliate, the Coburg Tigers. He leaves Perth this week to live in Melbourne.

Although there is no guarantee Monteath's move will lead to a promotion to AFL ranks, the Tigers have encouraged him to play under their supervision to assess whether he has the skills to make it at the next level. Monteath would be eligible to join Richmond under the father-son rule, as his father played the minimum required 100 matches (118 games from 1975-80, including captaining the 1980 premiership team in his final appearance with the Tigers).

With such close ties to Richmond, the Monteaths sought advice as to what Rhys could do to improve his chance of playing in the AFL. "We only spoke to Richmond about what was the best way for me to have a real crack at a chance of playing AFL footy," Rhys Monteath said.

"They said come over and play footy in Melbourne. That is the biggest centre for football and playing over there has always been a dream of mine.

"I get to play under Richmond's eyes, so you never know what might happen.

"If it doesn't all work out in a year or two, I can always come back and continue with East Fremantle.

"But I'm getting to an age where if I really want to have a crack at it, I have to do something now."

Monteath played his first four WAFL games for East Fremantle last season, and was a member of the club's squad that won the 2001 WAFL colts premiership.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/01/01/1104345036559.html?oneclick=true
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Rhys Monteath to play with Coburg
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 04:53:09 AM »
Older brother of Kym who's in line for us to pick him up under the Father-Son rule in the 2005 National Draft.

Good luck to Rhys anyway  :).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2005, 07:31:10 PM »
These stats might be a year old but here's a brief profile of Rhys Monteath from the official East Freo site:

DOB: 19 September 1984 (Age 20)
Height: 180
Weight: 75 kg
Playing Position: HFF/ruck rover

Nickname: Monty
Previous/Junior Clubs: East Fremantle
Primary School Attended: Richmond Primary
Senior School Attended: Hamilton Senior High
Football Hero: Matthew Richardson, Dad

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 10:46:31 PM »
Geez - Coburgs gonna haveone of the youngest lists in the VFL in 2005  :thumbsup

Good move by the Tigers - get the eldest Monteath over here all nice and settled - should make it easier when Kym mkaes the move at the end of 2005 ;D

These stats might be a year old but here's a brief profile of Rhys Monteath from the official East Freo site:

DOB: 19 September 1984 (Age 20)
Height: 180
Weight: 75 kg
Playing Position: HFF/ruck rover

Interesting the weight size of things - going by the pic in Today's Age he looks quite solid.

I'll be keeping an eye out for him when watching Coburg :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 11:09:04 PM »
stuff.
Roach,Raines,Monteath,Tuck.....I'm feelling ...err...not young. :banghead

froars

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 11:21:29 PM »
I'm feelling ...err...not young.
Got news for ya, you ain't young any more lol

How do you think i feel  :'(

Ox

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 02:19:16 AM »
Thanx 4 the newsflash nackers  :'(

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 03:12:34 AM »
Thanx 4 the newsflash nackers  :'(

LMAO @ the sexual tension  :lol
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

blx

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 09:55:50 AM »
going by that avatar picture fwoy i think you should get your eyes looked at  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

froars

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 10:28:38 AM »
Thanx 4 the newsflash nackers 
Get over it  :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 06:59:09 PM »
Good move by the Tigers - get the eldest Monteath over here all nice and settled - should make it easier when Kym mkaes the move at the end of 2005 ;D

I think you're spot on there WP  :thumbsup. Just wish there was some info on Kym as he has seemed to have vanished since doing his shoulder early last year playing for the East Freo Colts ???.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 12:57:56 AM »

I think you're spot on there WP  :thumbsup. Just wish there was some info on Kym as he has seemed to have vanished since doing his shoulder early last year playing for the East Freo Colts ???.

I have heard Kym is keen to get down to the Tigers, as was Rhys at his age as well.

Kim was always touted the better of the two footballers, but they are pretty close in comparison in a few WA mates opinions.

I asked a question on big footy a while ago and got these responses.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122769&highlight=monteath

I think it could be a case to make it easier for Kym, but the same said, didn't we overlook Andrew Raines the first time under the father and son rule, because the majority of people said he wouldn't make it.  Some solid time at coburg later, and junior Raines has an opportunity he nearly missed out on.

Either way, good luck Rhys.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 04:55:54 PM »
Kim was always touted the better of the two footballers, but they are pretty close in comparison in a few WA mates opinions.

I asked a question on big footy a while ago and got these responses.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122769&highlight=monteath

Cheers for that LT. It'll be interesting to see how Kym goes in 2005.

didn't we overlook Andrew Raines the first time under the father and son rule, because the majority of people said he wouldn't make it.  Some solid time at coburg later, and junior Raines has an opportunity he nearly missed out on.

I think recruiters are not so sure of potential Queensland draftees given it's not a traditional Aussie rules state yet the game has grown significantly compared to 10-20 years ago with the number of Vics that have headed North in that time (waves at Julz  :) ). You might find some bargains there compared to the Southern more traditional footy states where U18 footy is scrutinized more heavily. Hopefully Raines and Luke McGuane are two of them.   

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 07:55:36 PM »
Rhys looks to be a spitting image of his old man too.

Not as spooky as Andrew Raines but close

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 09:38:57 PM »
My nephew was Footbal Manager at Southport and I asked him about Raines when He was drafted and He said at that time He had never played senior football. He also said he moved very much like his old man.