Author Topic: Tigers plead for board stability (Age)  (Read 939 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers plead for board stability (Age)
« on: December 11, 2010, 07:19:56 AM »
Tigers plead for board stability
Jon Pierik
December 11, 2010

RICHMOND has called on its members to deliver board stability in a bid to ensure the club continues its upward curve.

Voting closes at midnight tomorrow in the latest round of elections with five candidates jostling for three spots.

President Gary March and long-time board members Peggy Haines and John Matthies are seeking re-election but are being challenged by coterie members Philip Anderson and Neil McKay.

Matthies, the founding partner of a leading Melbourne legal firm who is on the Tigers' finance sub-committee, rejected McKay's recent assertion that the club needed greater financial security.

"We have had a profit for the last five or six years. I think this year our profit will be declared at $2.85 million and an operating profit of $759,000, which is not bad for a team that finished second last," Matthies said yesterday.

"Whilst we haven't reduced our debt substantially in the last five years, I think it's been reduced from $5.2 million back to $4.5 million.

"We have increased our football department spend in that time. Compared with '05 we are spending nearly an extra $4 million on football.

"If we hadn't increased our football spend, we could nearly have eradicated the debt. But it's like the chicken and the egg, if you don't increase your football spend, you become very non-competitive.

"We have a plan to not only eradicate the debt but also to have a treasure chest to go with it."

March recently unveiled a 12-month plan to eliminate the club's $4.5 million debt.

Anderson, the chief executive and founding director of a fibre-optic company, says he will encourage the Tigers to employ a greater use of "leading edge technology" if he wins a seat.

But Matthies says the Tigers are already proficient in that department.

"We believe we already have leading-edge technology with a couple of people that we have involved in the club. I won't say who they are but we have a guy who is a real guru in that area," he said.

Matthies has also taken a special interest in the club's recruiting and culture since joining the board in 2004.

"I think the current board is doing the job. We are just about to open our new $20 million facility at the club. Our membership [last season] was the second highest membership it has been," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-plead-for-board-stability-20101210-18szl.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers plead for board stability (Age)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 08:27:08 AM »
I must say I have a lot of time fo John. Have met him a quite a few occassions and always found him to be honest, open and prepared to listen. His comment about the debt -v- footy dept spend is a good one.

The only thing I would add is that (and I reckon it's bloody important and hasn't been mentioned much) depsite the increase in footy dept spend over the last few years the debt hasn't increased; it's been controlled. If it had gone up by say a million buchs or so then I'd be saying they hadn't done the right thing for the club. As I've said many times when dealing with debt alot has to come back to whether you can manage it (int payments etc) - we are and that's a key here IMHO

:gotigers 

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
Totally agree WP.

If we hadn't increased our football spend, we could nearly have eradicated the debt. But it's like the chicken and the egg, if you don't increase your football spend, you become very non-competitive.

:clapping

10 FLAGS

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 11:02:36 AM »
Are votes counted as they go along.  I think its interesting that 1 current board member is making these comments and its targeted at primarily one of the challengers. Interesting times.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:28:46 PM »
Are votes counted as they go along.  I think its interesting that 1 current board member is making these comments and its targeted at primarily one of the challengers. Interesting times.

They could be Flags; that's up to the returning officer but whether they are are not results cannot be released until after voting is over i.e. he cannot releaese details

I reckon it has more to do with it being slow tihmes re footy coming up to Xmas and giving the incumbents equal time seeing last weeking we go the views of the 2 challengers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 07:23:07 PM »
Not sure why this is even news outside of the Club and its members. Having a normal election where two-thirds of the Board won't be changing doesn't mean instability  ???. Looks like the media with no footy or drafts to rely on are desperate for footy news of any kind.

Next year may see change though if the planned debt elimination doesn't reach its goal. Well we could always hold a concert with Shannon Noel and co. like North is  :D. Now there's a financial sustainable idea :nup  :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »
Where are our new members, Neil and Phil?

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:35:07 PM »