Author Topic: RIP Maurice Rioli  (Read 6946 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: RIP Maurice Rioli
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »
I know ME Bank have purchased the naming rights to the new facilities at Punt Road, but I'd like to see them name the indigenous center after Maurice

Agreed. :thumbsup

Shocking news at any time let alone during this time of year. :'(

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »
 :'(

Former AFL star Maurice Rioli dead

* December 25, 2010 8:45PM

THE football community is in mourning after the death of former AFL Richmond great Maurice Rioli at 53.

It's understood the three time All Australian suffered a heart attack at a Christmas Day gathering in Darwin.

Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale said the thoughts of everyone at the club were with the Rioli family.

"Maurice was an enormously important figure in the game as a player, and more broadly in the leading role he played for indigenous Australians," Mr Gale said.

"He will be remembered as one of the greatest players in the Tigers proud history.

"He inspired millions - the friendships that he made were enduring."

The Tigers recruited Rioli from South Fremantle in 1982 and he played 118 games for the club and kicked 80 goals.

He won the Norm Smith Medal for the best player in Richmond's 1982 grand final loss to Carlton.

Brownlow Medallist Brad Hardie told Perth radio station 6PR that is was a very sad day for football.

"I'm very devastated," Hardie said.

"He was a beautiful man and the original Mr Magic - there have been many since but he was the original."

After playing out his career in Fremantle, Rioli moved back to Darwin where he became the Member for Arafura in 1992 until his retirement from parliament in 2001.

The Rioli name has lived on in the AFL with two of his nephews - Hawthorn star Cyril Rioli and former Essendon player Dean Rioli - making major contributions to the code.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/former-afl-star-maurice-rioli-dead/story-e6frf7jx-1225976188718

10 FLAGS

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 10:23:10 PM »
What can we say. We lost a great of our club today. The club does need to do something in his honor, naming the indigenous centre at Punt Road is a suggestion that should be taken up by the club. I urge you all to write a post on the club website asking the club to look at this suggestion.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »
I know ME Bank have purchased the naming rights to the new facilities at Punt Road, but I'd like to see them name the indigenous center after Maurice

I agree wholeheartedly Infamy. Excellent suggestion  :thumbsup

RIP Maurice. Your brilliance on the field gave me many fond memories as a proud Tiger supporter. You will be dearly missed.

I wish I could post a video tribute here but my "fighting tiger spirit" clip on YouTube which I made a while ago as some special Maurice Rioli moments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-5fWk27ye4

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 10:52:36 PM »
Your heart goes out to his family losing him on Christmas day  :(.

RIP Mr Magic  :'(

Agree Infamy :thumbsup

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 08:01:04 AM »
Terrible news for his family and the wider football community.  Makes you realise there is more to life than football and just how precious life itself is.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 08:36:58 AM »
Tiger great Maurice Rioli dies at 53

* Nui Te Koha
    * December 26, 2010

FOOTBALL great Maurice Rioli has died while celebrating Christmas with family.

Rioli, a former Richmond star and 1982 Norm Smith Medallist, suffered a heart attack at his Darwin home about 3pm yesterday.

He was 53.

Hours after his passing, tributes poured in from family, friends and former teammates from around the country.

Mal Brown, who coached Rioli at South Fremantle, said: "He was the most gifted player I ever coached. I loved him as a player and as a person."

Former teammates echoed those comments.

"Maurice was just awesome, absolutely brilliant," former Tigers full-forward Michael Roach said. "He was the best tackler at Richmond in my time there."

From Melville Island in the Northern Territory, Rioli is regarded as the first of the modern indigenous superstar AFL players.

A three-time All-Australian, his freakish ball-handling skills and kicking prowess were renowned.

"He was a left-footer who could turn back on to his right foot. He walked around everybody," Brown said.

After football, Rioli enjoyed a life in politics.

He was elected as the member for Arafura in the Northern Territory Legislative Assembly in 1992.

Rioli held that position until 2001 when he retired from parliament.

Friends said Rioli was a low-key and humble man.

"You wouldn't know he was around, half the time," Roach said.

Rioli was the uncle of Hawthorn star Cyril and former Bomber Dean Rioli. He was also cousin to Essendon great Michael Long.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad-application/tiger-great-maurice-rioli-dies-at-53/story-fn6bfkm6-1225976188702

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 08:38:05 AM »
What a player.  :bow

Blessed to have seen him in the Y&B.
Thanks for everything Maurice.

RIP 'Mr Magic'.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 08:40:03 AM »
What a bitch

TigerTimeII

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »
What a player.  :bow

Blessed to have seen him in the Y&B.
Thanks for everything Maurice.

RIP 'Mr Magic'.

agree

best and most skillful   player to wear our jumper
RIP

10 FLAGS

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
Hopefully his young lad comes through in time and we finally have a rioli in a Richmond jumper again.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »
Your heart goes out to his family losing him on Christmas day  :(.

RIP Mr Magic  :'(

Agree Infamy :thumbsup

Unfortunately folks the Indigneous Centre has already been named.

"The ME Bank Centre will also house the Australian Institute for Indigenous Learning and Skills Development, the Korin Gamadji Institute."

refer: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/106482/default.aspx

I am not sure where the origins come from but I think it may have some link to an elder of the local people

However in light of that, another thing they could do is either name a room after Mr Magic eg the Maurice Rioli Theatre or issue a scholarship in his name every year to a young person from the NT who atrends the centre

RIP Mr Magic

Close to the Best tiger play I've had the pleasure to watch
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 01:14:20 PM »
Terrible news.

Maurice Rioli was my first "favorite" player....53 is way too young.

The first Brownlow medal count I can remember watching was 1983...I was devestated when Maurice was pipped at the post.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »
RIP  :(

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 07:45:05 PM »

Unfortunately folks the Indigneous Centre has already been named.

"The ME Bank Centre will also house the Australian Institute for Indigenous Learning and Skills Development, the Korin Gamadji Institute."
Korin Gamadji means to grow & emerge, don't see why Maurice can't be associated with it also

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:38:12 PM by WilliamPowell »