Author Topic: RIP Maurice Rioli  (Read 6962 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: RIP Maurice Rioli
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 08:40:32 PM »
I know ME Bank have purchased the naming rights to the new facilities at Punt Road, but I'd like to see them name the indigenous center after Maurice

Unfortunately folks the Indigneous Centre has already been named.

"The ME Bank Centre will also house the Australian Institute for Indigenous Learning and Skills Development, the Korin Gamadji Institute."
Korin Gamadji means to grow & emerge, don't see why Maurice can't be associated with it also

Edited to correct quote

Sorry I wasn't sure how the name Korin Gamadji came about

I agree he should be associated with it like I suggested in my post. All I was trying to point out was that Learnign centre has already been named and as a result then perhaps the Club could look at honouring Mr Magic another way in the way of a scholarship
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »
RIP Mr Magic.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tributes flowing for 'genius' Rioli (Age)
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
Tributes flowing for 'genius' Rioli
The Age,
December 27, 2010

Fans mourn the death of a gentle champion, writes Jon Pierik.

A GENIUS with a football in his hands. The best tackler of the past 30 years. A trailblazer and a gentleman.

As word spread yesterday of the death of Maurice Rioli, the Richmond Football Club , his home between 1982-87, remembered a champion midfielder who wowed supporters with his sublime skills, modest nature and willingness to improve life for his indigenous brethren.

Rioli, 53, died on Christmas Day. He collapsed at a family barbecue in Darwin after a suspected heart attack.

''It was a real shock, given his age,'' Brian Taylor, the former full-forward who enjoyed many a pristine pass from Rioli, said last night.

Rioli, one of eight footballing brothers, was born on Melville Island in the Northern Territory on September 1, 1957. He started his career with NTFL heavyweight St Marys before linking with his brother Sebastian at WAFL side South Fremantle in the 1970s. He flourished there - former Richmond enforcer Mal Brown was coach at the time - and was pursued by the Tigers. In those days Rioli was also a promising boxer in welterweight and middleweight divisions who some thought good enough to represent his country. However, football won the day, and so too soon would the Tigers.

After extensive negotiations, the then 24-year-old would be lured to Victoria on a fat contract and handed Jack Dyer's famous No. 17 in time for the 1982 season. ''I was a South Fremantle supporter before Maurice left WA to go to Richmond. I saw him play there as well,'' Taylor said. ''He was absolutely electrifying, him and Benny Vergona and Stephen Michael.

''Maurice had the guts to break away from that and take indigenous football to the best competition in Australia. The indigenous guys felt very comfortable in Perth. It was like home to them. Coming to Victoria and a suburban lifestyle was always going to be difficult. He handled it with aplomb.''

His impact was immediate. He claimed successive best-and-fairest awards in 1982-83. In '82, he was the first indigenous Norm Smith medallist and first to claim the award in a losing grand final side when the Tigers were over-run by Carlton.

Rioli was the runner-up in the Brownlow in 1983 and would eventually be named in the AFL's Indigenous Team of the Century. Tigers great Francis Bourke, who coached Rioli in his first two seasons, said his sublime skills on the left side of his body - he rarely, if ever, kicked with his right foot - often meant his overall toughness was overlooked. ''He had a gentle nature about him that belied a steely, tough interior. He was quietly spoken but with a sly sense of humour,'' Bourke said.

Rioli would play 118 games for the Tigers, kicking 80 goals, and was a three-time All Australian.

''He was just one of the greatest natural talents I have ever seen. He was the best tackler in his day and is still the best tackler I have ever seen,'' Taylor said. Taylor had four years alongside Rioli before the robust goalkicker transferred to Collingwood. ''There was nothing better than being at full-forward and leading to Maurice Rioli,'' said Taylor, who topped the Tigers' goal-kicking in 1982 (71). ''There are only a few players in your time that you can lead to with great certainty, you knew they could put the ball where it needed to be put. He was one of only probably two, the other being Mick McGuane, that could get that job done.''

Former midfield mate Geoff Raines said it was a pleasure to play alongside Rioli in '82 but not so much when he crossed to Victoria Park as an opponent.

''He was a great player. He just had magical skills, evasive skills. His side-step and his movement was just brilliant,'' he said.

While sashaying around opponents appeared easy, dealing with racist vitriol from opponents and the crowd was a challenge. It wouldn't be until the mid-1990s before the AFL finally took action on this scourge.

The VFL was a tough, hard place through the 1980s and Rioli, the brother-in-law of Essendon champion Michael Long, wasn't afraid to speak about the racial taunts he faced. ''He had a lot to do with breaking down those early barriers,'' Taylor said.

Rioli stunned the Tigers in the summer of 1985 when he signed with Sydney as part of Dr Geoffrey Edelsten's cashed-up shopping spree but this move would be quashed by salary-cap restrictions. He was then linked with a move to Essendon but returned to Punt Road midway through the '86 season.

He would remain there for another 18 months before finishing his playing career in Fremantle. Rioli returned to Darwin and became the state member for Arafura in 1992 until his retirement from parliament in 2001.

The Rioli name, conjuring images of silken skills, has remained synonymous with the AFL through his nephews Dean Rioli (Essendon) and Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn).

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, a former North Melbourne wingman, also paid tribute. ''He was the trailblazer for footballers from the Northern Territory in making their mark in the VFL and the AFL.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tributes-flowing-for-genius-rioli-20101226-197x1.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
NT trailblazer Rioli was a real champion (News Ltd)
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 08:48:40 AM »
NT trailblazer Rioli was a real champion
David Wood, Darwin
The Advertiser
December 27, 2010

MAURICE Rioli died on the big stage, with his family, his brother said yesterday.

Sibby Rioli said Maurice, 53, who died of a suspected heart attack at a Christmas day family barbecue in Darwin, would be remembered for what he had done for football, the community and the Tiwi people.

Sibby said football had given his brother an advantage which he had used it to help others, including his own son Dean, who played at Essendon, and his nephew, Hawthorn star Cyril.

He said there was not just one memory of his brother that stood out, there was a lifetime of influence.

"It was what he did for football; it is was what he did for the community; it was what he did for the Tiwi people," he said.

"It's just been unbelievable."

After being one of eight brothers from Melville Island to play for NTFL side St Marys, Maurice played for Perth's South Fremantle before making his magic famous at Richmond in in his 118-game VFL career that ran until 1987.

He was the first player to win a Norm Smith Medal in a losing side, in 1982.

Maurice was a Brownlow runner-up in 1983 and held many other football honours.

After fooball, in 1992 he became the Labor member for Arafura in the Northern Territory Parliament until he retired from politics in 2001.

"Yesterday he just walked off quietly," Sibby said. "His ex-wife said he did it on the big stage again, with his family."

Former team-mate and Tigers legend Kevin Bartlett was shattered when he heard the news.

"Well, that's unbelievable. That's very sad," an emotional Bartlett said.

"He was one of the great players that played with the Tigers, one of the great players I played with. It has hit me hard.

"I know how his family will feel. I lost my father on Christmas Day, so I can understand the depth of despair.

"He was a champion. Anyone who played with him would only class him as a champion player.

"He came to the club, won best and fairests, nearly won the Brownlow Medal, and he was just one of those marvellous indigenous players that took the football world by storm."

Sibby agreed his brother was a pioneer:

"He opened up a lot of doors, not just for indigenous footballers but for territory footballers," he said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/nt-trailblazer-rioli-was-a-real-champion/story-fn6bqphm-1225976458721

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 02:36:13 PM »
A couple of great goals from Mr Magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFo0ZRJN17w
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

10 FLAGS

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »
Doesnt Maurice have a young boy thats coming through the ranks?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond great Maurice Rioli to receive state funeral (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »
Richmond great Maurice Rioli to receive state funeral
Herald Sun
December 28, 2010 12:24PM

THE Northern Territory Government will hold a state funeral for Richmond champion Maurice Rioli, who died of a heart attack on Christmas Day.

Rioli collapsed at a family barbecue. He was 53.

NT Chief Minister Paul Henderson said a date for the funeral had not been set.

He paid tribute to Rioli, who played 118 games for the Tigers and also served as a member of the Territory parliament for nine years.

"When I first got elected to parliament in 1999, I sat next to him in the parliament and I had to bloody pinch myself, thinking, 'Geez, I've been elected to parliament and I'm sitting next to Maurice Rioli'," Henderson told the ABC.

Rioli's older brother, Sebastian, told the ABC earlier today a state funeral would be a fitting way to farewell a great sportsman and a great person.

"I think it would be a good thing. I think he's deserved it and a lot of people would like to say farewell to him," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-great-maurice-rioli-may-receive-state-funeral/story-e6frf9jf-1225977142301

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 04:05:18 PM »
RIP Mr Magic..you will be sadly missed. I saw this legand play for South Fremantle when I was a kid as I follow SF here. What a sad thing to happen!!!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »
Doesnt Maurice have a young boy thats coming through the ranks?

never heard that, didn't have a son as far as I am aware ???
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »
He and his wife had a son in 1984 while he was at Richmond. He'd be 26 now.
No idea if he has any other sons.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 06:53:30 AM »
The Territory Government has issued a notice advising that the state funeral would be held in the St Mary's Star of the Sea Cathedral at 10am next Friday.

Rioli will be buried on the Tiwi Islands the following Monday.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-great-maurice-rioli-may-receive-state-funeral/story-e6frf9jf-1225977142301

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mates want to honour footy hero Rioli (NT News)
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »
Mates want to honour footy hero
GREY MORRIS 
NT News
December 31st, 2010

TERRITORY football pioneer Michael McLean wants a permanent memorial to AFL great Maurice Rioli at TIO Stadium or Gardens Oval.

McLean is one of several members of the inaugural AFLNT Hall of Fame calling for fellow inductee Rioli to be immortalised for future generations of Territory sports fans.

Fellow Territory football greats Michael Long, Mark Motlop, Russell Jeffrey and Dennis Dunn have joined McLean in calling for the honour to be struck in memory of their friend.

"Maurice was the person who put NT football on the map when he first arrived in the VFL (at Richmond) in 1982," McLean said.

"It's only right a grandstand, wing or hill is named after him or a statue built at Marrara or Gardens where he played most of his Territory footy.

"Maurice was a truly great player, one of our very best, and he should never be forgotten. I had a lot to do with Maurice when I was captain of the 1994 All-Stars and he was the coach and the same applies to the Bi-Centennial Carnival in '88 when I was vice-captain under him."

McLean remembered Rioli as a modest and humble man who never talked about his own extraordinary deeds in football.

"Maurice didn't need to do a lot of talking. We all knew how great he was and we're all very grateful for what he did for all of us," he said.

"You've got to remember Maurice was 24 when he arrived in Melbourne with Richmond and he had played more than 160 games (166) with South Fremantle.

"He made an early statement with his brilliant skills in the best Australian football competition in the land. From there he made a big impact on a lot of people and opened a lot of eyes on the amount of playing talent up here in the Territory."

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/12/31/204121_ntsport.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »
For those who didn't see it, here's the Messagestick program on the Rioli family. The part about Maurice is from 8.30 - 11.30 mins.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/messagestick/video/2010/October2010.htm?pres=s3039638&story=1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger Rioli a picture of true class (NT News)
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 05:36:01 AM »
Tiger Rioli a picture of true class
GREY MORRIS   |  January 2nd, 2011

LONG-serving NT News picture editor Clive Hyde calls Maurice Rioli's Norm Smith Medal win in 1982 the highlight of his football photography career.

Hyde has resurrected some of his surviving photographs from that September, almost 30 years ago, when he followed Rioli, his dad Cyril Sr and other members of the family to Melbourne.

"That one ('82) was certainly special because I had become a Territorian after leaving Melbourne where I had done nothing but football and photographed the best part of 10 grand finals," Hyde recalled.

"This one gave me a chance to get back down there and, even more so, because our own Maurice Rioli was in it."

Hyde came up with the idea to fly members of the Rioli family (dad and two younger brothers) to Melbourne for the Richmond-Carlton premiership decider. "It was our intention to take them away from the Tiwi Islands and put them in the middle of the MCG in front of 100,000 people," he said.

"That was certainly my point to John Hogan, who was the NT News boss in those days, and Fred McCue Sr, then manager of Ansett in Darwin, who agreed to help as long as they got something out of it.

"But after I had contacted (NTFL president) Hunter Harrison and (St Marys president) Vic Ludwig and eventually Maurice's dad on the island, it was discovered they'd already been taken care of."

Hyde met up with the Rioli clan in Melbourne after flying down with journalist Lawrie McCauley.

"I knew the story was always going to be about Rioli and rang Alan Schwab through my contacts with Richmond," Hyde said. "And Maurice and his dad were fantastic, they were more than happy to let me do whatever I wanted to do."

Hyde and McCauley were at Richmond's final training session on Thursday and at Rioli's small single-fronted house in Hawthorn where he lived with former wife Robyn.

"It was bloody freezing but I got his old man reading the old Sporting Globe with a big story on the front page and a lot of other pictures which, unfortunately, are missing," he said.

"Especially those with Maurice running outside in his tracksuit like a boxer with a towel around his neck."

Training at the MCG on Thursday night was followed by more pictures in the Richmond clubrooms at Punt Rd where Hyde knew everyone, from the boot studders and property stewards to the trainers.

"They even got the old Tiger skin out for me and I got Maurice and his old man with the Tiger's head," Hyde said.

"Then it was a matter of waiting for the big game and my biggest concern in the hours leading up to it was where Maurice's family would be watching the game from.

"His dad told me they'd be in the grandstand and I didn't even think about where that would be."

Hyde was in the centre of the ground when the Richmond players ran down the race and burst through their banner. He took several shots of the 25-year-old Rioli in the warm-ups before realising he had still not located the family.

"I thought, 'Geez, I've now got to find the Riolis among the 100,000-plus fans (107,536) who were there that day'," he said.

"I looked up and all I could see was these three smiling little black faces and incredibly, they were right in front of where I used to sit through 10 years of covering footy."

Clive Hyde was an award-winning photographer with the NT News from 1981-2009.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2011/01/02/204541_ntnews.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger reps join Rioli farewell (RFC)
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »
Tiger reps join Rioli farewell
richmondfc.com.au 
Fri 07 Jan, 2011

Richmond Football Club will be well represented at the State Funeral of former Premiership player Maurice Rioli in Darwin today.

Tiger captain Chris Newman will join former great Dale Weightman at the funeral.

Richmond president Gary March and chief executive Brendon Gale will also be in attendance.

“It is important that the Club is properly represented at the funeral of someone who gave so much to this Club and the game,” Gale said.

“We will be representing everyone associated with the Richmond Football Club, in particular the thousands of members and supporters that have so many wonderful memories of Maurice.”

Rioli, a Norm Smith medalist and three time All-Australian with the Tigers, passed away at aged 53 from a heart attack in Darwin on Christmas Day, 2010.

He played 118 games and kicked 80 goals for Richmond between 1982 and 1987, and won the Club Best and Fairest award twice (1982 and 1983).

Since his passing, the Club’s web site and social media sites have been inundated with messages of support for the Rioli family, and memories of his electrifying skill on the field, and the impact he had on Indigenous Australians off it.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/106624/default.aspx