Author Topic: Flea glee over new Tiger No. 3 - RFC site  (Read 1172 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Flea glee over new Tiger No. 3 - RFC site
« on: January 10, 2005, 01:19:49 PM »
Flea glee over new Tiger No. 3
1:09:58 PM Mon 10 January, 2005
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond Team of the Century member and the Club’s current Player Development Manager Dale Weightman has strongly endorsed the newest recipient of the famous Tigers’ No. 3 guernsey, Brett Deledio.

Weightman, who wore the No. 3 with such distinction throughout an illustrious 274-game playing career at Punt Road from 1978-93, is convinced the first pick in the 2004 National Draft has what it takes to develop into one of the game’s elite performers.

“I first saw him play when he was in under 16s and I remember thinking, gee, he’s going to be a good player!” Weightman said.

“That was a couple of years ago, but as it’s turned out now, I suppose it’s lucky that we finished last and were able to pick him up with the No. 1 selection.”

The man affectionately known as ‘Flea’ is particularly impressed with the 17-year-old’s professionalism.

“Just watching Brett on the track, he prepares himself perfectly . . . he’s extremely well organised.

“I just like the boy because you can see he knows what he wants . . . and he knows how to properly organise himself.

“He’s getting organised not only on the footy side, but also away from the game. He’s just come out of Year 11 at Kyabram High School, and he’s keen to finish off his Year 12, which he’ll do over two years at Caulfield Grammar, where a few Tiger players over the years went to . . . the Kellaways, Stewie Maxfield and Mark Chaffey. And (1980 premiership player) Barry Rowlings is the football manager there.”

In terms of on-field capabilities, Weightman has no doubt the latest ‘Kyabram Kid’ is ideally equipped to make his mark at the game’s highest level.

“I was watching him training the other day and I’m thinking, I thought he was a right-footer, because he was kicking the ball so magnificently with his left foot . . . I was talking to Terry (Wallace), and he said, well, he is (a right-footer)! That’s how good he was on his opposite side . . .

“You just see him in a bit of traffic and he looks fantastic. He’s a great size – he’s probably going to end up with the same type of build as James Hird and he looks like that kind of player . . . really clean with everything he does and capable of going up forward and kicking goals as well. He’s just one of those complete footballers.

“I really think he’ll play senior footy this year, but it all depends on how well he adapts because he doesn’t turn 18 until April.

“Whatever happens in 2005, I’m sure Tiger supporters can look forward to many, many, many big years from Brett.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=182222

:thumbsup :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Flea glee over new Tiger No. 3 - RFC site
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 07:05:32 PM »
“I was watching him training the other day and I’m thinking, I thought he was a right-footer, because he was kicking the ball so magnificently with his left foot . . . I was talking to Terry (Wallace), and he said, well, he is (a right-footer)! That’s how good he was on his opposite side.

“You just see him in a bit of traffic and he looks fantastic. He’s a great size – he’s probably going to end up with the same type of build as James Hird and he looks like that kind of player . . . really clean with everything he does and capable of going up forward and kicking goals as well. He’s just one of those complete footballers.

A dual sided player is music to my ears. The future of footy. The last player we had who could kick equally as well on either foot was Leon Cameron.

Not sure of the Hird comparison as Deledio hasn't played a game yet. The body size and type are similar but that's about it at this stage. Let him settle into league footy before we crown him a champion. Hopefully we will have a team full of top players in a few years so we don't become dependent on one or two blokes.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 07:29:10 PM »
Slowly slowly please RFC.

But its great press!

:thumbsup

Offline The Undertaker

• Tiger Rookie
  • What we need 'round here is a little more respect
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 08:03:59 PM »
Flea is not normally prone to rash statements so it is a big rap for the Kid.
Like the Deadman(Wrestlemania 13-0) the Richmond Tiger will again rise to the top of the jungle where he so rightfully belongs.