Author Topic: Aussie rules has turned us into nation of losers (Australian)  (Read 2244 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Aussie rules has turned us into nation of losers (Australian)
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:04:06 AM »
Aussie rules has turned us into nation of losers
Luke Slattery
The Australian
January 06, 2011

THE humbling of Australian cricket is merely a symptom of a wider sporting malaise.

Australia's international standing across a range of sports, from rugby league to athletics, is by our own high standards deteriorating while some sports - in singles tennis we have no men in the top 50 - are suffering long-term decline.

There is no need to search far and wide for the culprit or to carry out extensive audits of our recent sporting failures.

The enemy is within. It is Australian Rules football.

We must face a discomfiting reality: Aussie rules is killing Australian sport.

Consider some recent international results. This year, in rugby league, a code in which Australia was once almost invincible, the Kangaroos were soundly beaten by New Zealand in the tri-nations final. This blow, taken by itself, could be brushed aside as a bad day at the sporting office; a glitch. But the fact that it came just two years after NZ won the rugby league World Cup confirms a changing of the guard: Australia has lost the dominance it enjoyed in this code since the early 1970s. The Kangaroos have lost three of their last five finals.

In rugby union the Wallabies are ranked second behind the imperious All Blacks. The problem for the Wallabies, as they head into a World Cup year with the competition to be held across the Tasman, is that they run a distant second to the Blacks. Tiny NZ can now boast that in two traditional winter codes - league and union - they best Australia.

By taking a game off the Kiwis in the dead-rubber Bledisloe Cup match in Hong Kong this year, the Wallabies brought to an end a 10-match losing streak inflicted by their traditional trans-Tasman rivals and showed that, if anyone can beat the Kiwis in a World Cup final, they are a chance. But they must first make the final, and it is no certainty. In fact as the end-of-year tour to the northern hemisphere showed, our rugby internationals, like our cricketers, are fast turning into England's bunnies.

Britain's overall supremacy over Australia is amplified by the Olympic medal tally. In the 2008 summer games in Beijing Britain ejected Australia from the fourth place it had enjoyed in Sydney and Athens, relegating us to sixth place overall. And while this year's Commonwealth Games results suggest a more internationally competitive Australian side for the next summer games in London, next year, hometown advantage is likely to ensure another dominant British performance.

The pool was the one arena in which Australia could traditionally regard itself as an international power. It was our gold zone. But our swimming dominance, much like our prowess in tennis and, it must be said, cricket, is slipping away.

Just about the only team sport in which Australia excels is men's hockey.

Which brings me back to Australian rules. Our most dominant winter code boasts about 600,000 players and, at the elite level, 17 teams in a national competition. There are two key observations to make about AFL in the context of Australia's declining sporting fortunes. First, it is a provincial sport without a global presence; a black hole. Second, it attracts many of Australia's finest athletes; rare talents who would be well suited to sports in which Australia competes internationally. As things stand, perhaps our finest athletic talent is lost to the international stage.

To make this point in a more graphic way one need only take a low-ranking AFL side such as my own team, Richmond, and dismember it.

About five of Richmond's tallest and most athletic players would, if appropriately re-skilled, dominate the Wallaby lineout or - to use a case more pertinent to current national anxieties - bolster Australia's fast bowling stocks. They are all of Chris Tremlett-like proportions. There lies our next Glenn McGrath.

It has not always been so - remember Dermot Brereton? - but today's AFL player is conditioned in the style of a middle-distance runner. He carries less bulk than earlier generations, but has more stamina. Re-condition him for strength and speed and he could walk into any NRL side. But a much broader perspective is needed, for these athletes are talent lost to the Socceroos, which failed to advance beyond the group stage in South Africa, to the Olympic team (track, field and swimming) and to tennis.

Every player claimed by the AFL is a player lost to the international sporting arena. Time was when a benign climate and relative wealth allowed Australia to excel at a number of international sports while indulging its passion for the indigenous code. But those times are over.

The problem is not just that the Brits and the Kiwis have vaulted beyond us in a few key sports; it's that our presence at the apex of the international sporting stage is suffering a broad decline. If we want to regain our place on that stage we can. But Australia is a small country by world standards and it is most unlikely we can achieve this aim without the participation of our best athletes, all of them.

With the exception of the US, none of our competitors in the sports that matter to us bleed perhaps their best and bravest sportsmen to an internationally irrelevant code. In the world of international competition the AFL is killing us.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/aussie-rules-has-turned-us-into-nation-of-losers/story-e6frg6zo-1225982616233

---------------------------------------------------------------

I think we know who the loser is Mr Slattery  ::) :wallywink

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Aussie rules has turned us into nation of losers (Australian)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:56:22 AM »
I wonder if Aussie Rule is also resposible for the Australian declining from a respected publication providing sound journalism into a shitrag that provides such drivel as this.?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »
Just more cultural cringe and anti-Aussie Rules rubbish. He says his team is Richmond  :-[ but his writing is more in fitting with a Sydney-based journo. Smell the fear!

As we've said before I guess the AFL is to blame for us not winning a gold medal in Montreal 1976 or being crap at cricket in the 80s well before the AFL even existed. Someone should also tell Luke Slattery that the Wallabies have won more Bledisloe Cups since the AFL started in 1990 than during the 58 years preceding it. That we dominated cricket in the 1990s and 2000s during the AFL's first 20 years. That we've qualified for the past two Soccer World Cups when in the 80s we couldn't even beat NZ or Kuwait at home. Wow who would've sporting supremacy is cyclical!

In any case even if every Victorian Aussie Rules footballer suddenly switched to Cricket they still wouldn't be selected by our imcompetent NSW-biased selectors who would rather drag some hack out of Sydney district cricket than any batsmen from the reigning back-to-back Sheffield Shield winners. Cricket Austra... NSW can get stuffed for their part in the demise of the national team.  No wonder most Victorian kids choose footy. At least you have a fair chance of playing at the elite level in Aussie Rules. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »
In any case even if every Victorian Aussie Rules footballer suddenly switched to Cricket they still wouldn't be selected by our imcompetent NSW-biased selectors who would rather drag some hack out of Sydney district cricket than any batsmen from the reigning back-to-back Sheffield Shield winners. Cricket Austra... NSW can get stuffed for their part in the demise of the national team.  No wonder most Victorian kids choose footy. At least you have a fair chance of playing at the elite level in Aussie Rules. 

You're a plonker and as bad as the anti-AFL New South Welshy hack journos.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
ther is some truth in it.
AFL is lucrative and offers 16 teams of positions to fill= more $.
Cricket is a ---- suckers game anyway,english i believe.......
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:42:13 PM by one-eyed »

10 FLAGS

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
ther is some truth in it.
AFL is lucrative and offers 16 teams of positions to fill= more $.
Cricket is a ---- suckers game anyway,english i believe.......

I agree with you Brackets. There is a fair amount of truth in what the guy says in the article but he hasn't put his argument forward in the best way. Anyway, thems the breaks Australian rules will always be the dominant code in Australia and as long as the A League continues to pick up the crap athletes then Im happy anyway.

Edit: edited quote
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:43:00 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 03:18:42 PM »
The only sport aussie rules would take players from is cricket as some players now have to choose between the two. Soccer has always had to compete in the southern states while most cockroaches and cane toads couldnt give a flying stuff about aussie rules. Aussie rules is a long way off dipping too heavily into the rugby codes' talent pools.

One strawberry floating the poo doesn't make it edible

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »

You're a plonker and as bad as the anti-AFL New South Welshy hack journos.
A state side dominates the domestic scene for 2-3 years yet for the Ashes series has only one representative in the national side with our selectors sticking with basically the same side that failed in England in 2009. You obviously agree with Hilditch that the selectors did a great job  :lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »
A state side dominates the domestic scene for 2-3 years yet for the Ashes series has only one representative in the national side with our selectors sticking with basically the same side that failed in England in 2009. You obviously agree with Hilditch that the selectors did a great job  :lol.

Lol yourself mate

I hate Hilditch and I think the selectors have done a poor job managing the side. Hilditch should be the first to go, CEO Sutherland (the VIC) should be second because he's limp wristed, lacks vision, nous and direction.

Which Vics would you bring in? Convince me there are Vics out there worthy of a call up. I'm certainly not biased against them. Would there be some merit in suggesting Vic has been recently stronger because the other state sides, in particular NSW, have had their best players absent on duty with AUS? Should we pick the Test side like the AFL All-Australian side and fill it full of the Premiers? Any young player of the class of Khawaja? Any young guy with a domestic record as good as Hughes under 23? Any young players playing IPL and International 1 Day cricket but not in the Shield side? Should we fill the Test side with good average players so we stay competitive for a while instead of looking for world class players that will take us back to the top? McDonald? White?

Not having a go, genuinely interested.

The young Vic talent just isn't there in droves this cycle IMO. It will come again. No-one from the Vic Shield side would have made any difference to this Ashes series and considering Victoria have more influential figures at CA than NSW maybe we should sack the Vics from their possies of power and see what happens?  ;)

Of course maybe it's the South Aussies just stuffing you over for fun, or the Tassies because you won't give them an AFL side  :rollin

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
Have you been fooling around with the stallion again? Or Goatse this time?

:police:

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »
The West Indies will never be a powerhouse cricket side again, if you're Ambrose, Garner or Courtney Walsh size and athletic, you try and be an NBA basketballer and earn millions.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

gerkin greg

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »
If I was West Indian I'd rather try my chances making millions off cricket than trying to land an NBA contract with every other black kid in the States.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
If i was west indian I'd be black with a big dick

gerkin greg

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
If i was west indian I'd be black with a big dick

:lol

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
 ;D