Author Topic: What Wallace has to turn around  (Read 1562 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
What Wallace has to turn around
« on: January 13, 2005, 03:27:31 AM »
From a scoring point of view this is the 2004 stats of the side Terry has to turn around and make them kick on average 16 goals a game.

2004 was:

* our worst in terms of lost games in one season in the Club's history - 18 losses.

* our lowest "for" score for a season since 22 rounds of footy were introduced in the 60's.

* our second worst goal tally since 22 rounds were introduced (1989 our previous last wooden spoon year was number 1).

* our lowest percentage in 44 years. Only 3 other seasons in the Club's VFL/AFL history were worse than 2004 (1909,1912,1960).

* our worst average score per game in 40 years.

* For 4 of Spud's 5 years at the helm, our goal kicking would be in the Club's top 10 seasons for accuracy (mustn't count Richo's OOF  ;) ).

http://www.footygeek.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=12&id=142&Itemid=53
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Re: What Wallace has to turn around
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 02:29:30 PM »
R u trying to depress us MT? ???

Doesn't look like Terry could do anything but improve.

Can't believe that accuracy stat :o

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 06:56:27 PM »
I thought during last year that maybe time had partly healed how bad the late 80's and early 90's sides were and that despite how woeful we were 2004 still wouldn't compare to those dark times. Well after stumbling across that footygeek stats site last night I was right about 2004 not comparing - it was actually worse  :o  :help :'(.

Now if you compare the lists, despite both eras having no depth and being mostly full of duds, surely the 2004 was still far superior to say any list we had from 87-93. We had a list full of young mostly country kids lead by the Flea back then and despite how we rate our senior players now, 2004 should have never been the Club's worst season or close enough to on record. Alot of this blame must come back to the former coaching staff.

You would reckon, despite having roughly the same core group this year as last,  that just having Terry and co leading the way we should see substancial improvement in 2005. We still will probably finish bottom 4 due to our deficiencies but I can't see if we play some positive footy us ending up again with a percentage of only 69% on the back of numerous hidings and pathetic totals ourselves.

What improvement we see under Wallace in his first year is yet to be seen but just from those stats if we focussed on the simple idea of trying to put the ball between the sticks at every opportunity and moreso than opposition which after all is the whole point of the game then that would be a good start. I'd guess Wallace is fully aware of this with his comments of aiming for 16 goals a game.     

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 07:40:35 PM »

* our lowest "for" score for a season since 22 rounds of footy were introduced in the 60's.

* our second worst goal tally since 22 rounds were introduced (1989 our previous last wooden spoon year was number 1).

* our lowest percentage in 44 years. Only 3 other seasons in the Club's VFL/AFL history were worse than 2004 (1909,1912,1960).

* our worst average score per game in 40 years.

Errrrrrrrrr................ enough said ;D

I think you can excuse low percentages in 1909 and 1912 - they didn't exactly kick big scores in those days ::)

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger74

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 01:45:50 PM »
we want a champion team not a team of champions, if wallace gets these boys playing for eachother and a winning brand of footy anything could happen. i think you may just see how bad frawley really was this year. :banghead

Bulluss

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 10:33:29 PM »
I agree Tiger74 i think that theres a great chance we can make the eight this season.

I know that quietly Wallace has plans for us to make the finals.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 08:19:38 AM »
The big change we need is a complete overhaul of our backline with the exceptions of Bowden, Jackson and Hartigan

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 08:59:07 PM »
Agreed Bluey, but where do we start?

Kellaway and Gaspar are both all australian backman (2001), and I do not accept that they are ready for the scrapheap yet.  They are still required.

Graham should help out the grooming of Moore, Archibald, Thursfield et all,

What else can be done?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 03:16:36 AM »
Problem is Gas and Chubba have been just negating defenders. That was adequate in 2000/2001 when they won AA selection but not anymore the way footy has gone the past couple of years. Plus Kellaway isn't really a KPP in the first place.

You look at the top sides and they have tall defenders that have enough pace/judgement to get a fist in when needed but can also run off their opponent and set up attacks. Guys like Scarlett and Harley, Leppitsch and Michael, and Chad Cornes and Bishop.

Adding to our problems is that both Gas' and Chubba's field kicking (as opposed to their surprisingly accurate goalkicking  :o) isn't great especially under pressure. Defenders both tall and small need to be precise kicks now days.