Author Topic: Most memorable close game  (Read 2136 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Most memorable close game
« on: January 14, 2005, 04:04:32 AM »
What was your most memorable close game?

Could be a great win where we got up in a thriller or a even a heartbreaking loss.

The draw against the bombers in 95 sticks out for mine. Gutsy effort and we almost got up and pinched it at the end.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

Re: Most memorable close game
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:16:23 AM »
Some of the ones that come to mind straight away include:

Rich v Bulldogs(MCG) I think it was in 95, fairly close game all day and the Dogs were coming at us late in the game. Late in time on in the last qtr the Dogs kicked a point and the margin was only one staright kick. I can still remember Scotty Turner loading it up from full back and kicking it pretty much to the middle of the G. Not long after the siren rang.

Rich v Coll(MCG) Friday night and the game had gone goal for goal all night. Richo played on from out of bounds, then kicked one out of his backside in the last qtr. I remember Scooter Moore kicking the sealer after gathering on the wing and flying inside 50 and banged it home. Also remember Benny Gale taking some towering marks across half back late in the last qtr.

to be continued..... Just been called out for work!! :(

froars

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 11:40:10 AM »
Gee you guys have great memories - my memories are mush lol
But i do remember the Bulldogs grudge match a couple of years ago and that last minute free kick that should have been paid and wasn't - darn shame that lol
Very sweet win that one!

Bulluss

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 02:47:25 PM »
You beat me to it Moi,

I was going to add that WB Grudge match at Telstra Dome. Was a great feeling after that win, i remember going around with the Cheer squad after the game and they(we) were singing the theme song and other various cheer squad songs. I remember David Bourke nearly giving away a free kick just before the siren rang, lucky the umpire had put the whistle away.

On a losing note i remember losing to the Swans at TD in the last round a couple of years ago. I remember being down by 7 points, Chaffey had the ball about 70m out and kicked a mongrel punt that was VERY lucky to keep rolling and tumbled through the sticks. I remember getting so excited only to be shot down not long after when we lost by a point and missed the finals by one point.

Bulluss

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 03:00:23 PM »
You beat me to it Moi,

I was going to add that WB Grudge match at Telstra Dome. Was a great feeling after that win, i remember going around with the Cheer squad after the game and they(we) were singing the theme song and other various cheer squad songs. I remember David Bourke nearly giving away a free kick just before the siren rang, lucky the umpire had put the whistle away.

On a losing note i remember losing to the Swans at TD in the last round a couple of years ago. I remember being down by 7 points, Chaffey had the ball about 70m out and kicked a mongrel punt that was VERY lucky to keep rolling and tumbled through the sticks. I remember getting so excited only to be shot down not long after when we lost by a point and missed the finals by one point.

froars

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 03:10:13 PM »
Don't all kill me, but i went to the Bulldogs Presidents lunch that night - our company has a table there and was great to see the bleak faces at the end lol.  Is okay, i drank all their grog and food lol
On a brighter note, Michael Bowden spoke that night which was good for memory - can't exactly remember what he said though lol
Talk about useless hey!  :rollin

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 04:36:56 PM »
I guess the Richmond v Hawthorn game at Telstra Dome last year was memorable.  It was close anyway.  Rory Hilton managed a few goals early, Jay Schulz took that mark and Ray hall took that other mark on the Hawthorn goal line to save the game.

There was probably more hype surrounding the game because of what had happened the previous week after the Adelaide game.

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 08:47:57 PM »
Back to round 7 1989. It was my birthday (13th May) and the Tigers gave me a great birthday present by beating West coast by 2 points at Waverley. From memory Kighter had a blinder  and Karl Langdon got a belting.  :D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 09:03:16 PM »
The one against the Hawks in early 95 at Waverley in the wet. We hadn't bet them for 10 years and the game was a low scoring arm-wrestle and slog. We almost threw it away by kicking a stack of behinds but IIRC we won by a kick to break the hoodoo.

Another wet weather game where we snuck home was the Crows games at footy park under Geischen. There's that pic of the players singing "Oh we're from Tigerland" in the rain in the middle of the ground afterwards.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 09:05:59 PM by mightytiges »

Bulluss

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 10:07:21 PM »
The one against the Hawks in early 95 at Waverley in the wet. We hadn't bet them for 10 years and the game was a low scoring arm-wrestle and slog. We almost threw it away by kicking a stack of behinds but IIRC we won by a kick to break the hoodoo.

I remember sitting at home listening to this game, i was only young and wasnt driving so gave the game a miss. I remember that Duncan Kellaway missed a goal from the top of the goal square and from memory the hawks kicked more goals than us.

As for the crows game, i remember that there was a very bad thunder/lightening storm that came through and the game was nearly called off at half time. I think Richo kicked about 6 straight in the pouring rain. I actually have that piece of memorabillia hanging up on my wall of the players singing the song in the middle of the ground.

The caption is "Singing in the Rain" dont who thought of that one!!! ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 03:39:18 AM »

We've got a clip of that goal by Chaffey Bully that I downloaded off the old AFL site when they use to have free movie clips before Telstra came along - Chaffs goal. lol @ Troy Luff of the Swans trying to get to the footy before it rolled across the goalline.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 07:15:53 PM »
Round 17 -v- the Bulldogs in 2001 - the grudge match as mentioned David Bourke almost ripping Nathan Brown's (oh the irony) head and the umpire waving his arms like a dodo bird saying "play on, play on"  ;D - great game. Have that one on tape.

1994 against the Kangaroos where Chris Bond played a blinder  :bow Over rated Corey McKernane had a chance to put the roos in front was tackled from behind and was pinged :cheers we hung on by a goal or two IIRC

2004 against Hawthorn because neither team seemed to know how to win :help :'( but we did in the end and I still cannot believe Ray Hall took that mark ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »
My most memorable game wasnt really close but its was one of thos great feelings you get when your side wins a game you have been longing them to win for a long time. My Mrs took me to the footy as my belated Birthday present (April 18) with her family (Eagles supporters)  >:(

Our first win against the Eagles at Subiaco.

April 27 2001
Richmond     17.7.109
West Coast  11.4.70

Richo kicked Six and tore the Eagles a new hole.

Was one of the best feelings I have ever had and boy did I stick it upto any eagle around me that night  ;D
The Richmond club song just played over and over and over

One to remember !!!!  :cheers
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 04:55:16 PM »
The Bullies grudge match I actually looked away for the last 30 seconds because I thought I was gonna pass out from nerves! How that free was never awarded I'll never know,then Simon Cox who was normally a tremendous kick scuffs a shot straight to Torney in front of goal.

We beat Carlton in the last round of 97 to put them out of the finals at Ponces Park.For memory we were getting done by 7 odd goals at one point in the 1st half,and it was a tough game.Richo attempted to handball to Benny gale but instead cleared his head over the line for a point from 5 metres out :gobdrop
The best thing about that day was sitting in the presidents Luncheon on a table with Michael Roach.
Id done my knee the previous week playing footy,and I had a waitress bringing me an endless supply of bourbon all game as I couldn't walk without crutches.
When we fell over the line I went ballistic and was screaming the walls down in a heavily inebriated state,before I realised that Roachy and I were the only happy people in the whole room.
My father hasn't been to a game with me since!
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 09:44:37 AM »
The come from behind win against Hawthorn in 2003 when we were 56 (or 59) points behind. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?