Author Topic: Tiger Training 14/1/05  (Read 4320 times)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
Tiger Training 14/1/05
« on: January 15, 2005, 04:23:10 AM »
Hey guys, Struggletown & Evo from PRE, and myself headed out to Vic Park today (Friday) to watch training...amongst the chatter about trivial net stuff, we actually watched a bit of what went on.  :lol

Struggs filed the report, which he gave me permission to re-produce here, for those who don't read elsewhere. I also took a few pictures, a sample of which are located below the report. As before MT, if you want to load them on the secure server and resize them , that would be cool.  :thumbsup  [Ed. Cheers fwoy. Done  :cheers ]

PS. I got burnt like you wouldn't beleive out there today! I actually look like this guy now --> :banghead

Oh well, on with the report... :rollin

Sorry its late,been enjoing the beers and beautiful sunshine with my co reporters and all round good guys Evo and Fwoy.

Training was at Vic Park,which is now nothing short of a dilapidated ruin.If you thought it was bad,you ought to see it now,a shambles unworthy of DVFL 2nd division.
The players were on the track at 11am in 30 deg sunshine.

The players who looked fittest included all the big guys,Richo,Simmonds..he's massive,Rix also a monster and even Morrison looks lean and fit.
After a few laps and sprints Brian Royal took the reins.
The players had a short kicking drill(20-25mtr),like lane work.
Then followed a longer (40mtr)kicking drill.
More sprints followed and it seemed light and easy with all players excelling so far.
The players then did a drill that was kamakaze handball,about 20mtrs from goal.
When Royal blew his whistle,the guys with the footys had to snap at goal,and most were on their left foot.
The kicking for goals was a little average to be honest,with some easy misses.The vocal level was good with lots of encouragement.
The guys then did 3 seperate drills all based on goal kicking under pressure.
The first was 3 players running in parallell lines toward goals about 50-60m out,with 2 guys facing the group putting on pressure.
Good drill,but it slipped into a shocker with 8 consecutive misses at one stage before BR stopped the drill and berated the players.
The 2nd part was much better,with improved goal/point ratios.
The next drill was a kick from full back to a lead.
The ball was marked and handballed to a running player for a shot on the run from 45-50m out,with the handballing player buttering up to chase and harrass the player shooting for goal.
In this drill Hyde and Raines were the most impressive.
The following drill was more snaps at goals,after series of handballs of one step.
Luke Mc Guane did very well and was the only player not to miss.
I must add the wind was tricky and blustery which didn't help.
The worst culprits at goal kicking were Hilton and Pattison,who were both shocking shots on the run.
The standouts were Hyde,Raines,Brown,Tambling and Tommy Roach looked a bit bigger and more confident in himself.
Some of these shooting at goal drills were swapped from each side of the ground to ensure that both sides of the body were used,a terrific idea.
Royal marshalled the troops magnificently.
He was vocal,lavishing praise when due,and criticising lazy or unprofessional work when it was due.
From what ive heard,and what I saw today,he is unlucky not to have a coaching job for himself.
The players not present during drills were
Hartigan,who ran laps and sprints all session with the physio.
Shultz who ran laps with a cork thigh strapped up.

Jackson and Graham were absent for the drills,but appeared for the intra club hitout which followed.
The game was Greys Vs Yellows.
The yellows seemed to have most of the expierienced players,with an imposing forward line of
Simmonds(FF) opposed to Morrison
Richo(CHF) opposed to Rix (whos even bigger than Richo)
Campbell(Floating FP) opposed to Gaspar
and an intriguing battle between Brown and Jackson,who was Brownies shadow.
David King was more involved now too,urging on players and demanding the voices be heard.
The game was a resonably good standard,with only turnovers spoiling it.Funnily enough the main offenders were the older more expierienced guys!
The young guys,Tambling,Raines,Roach and Hyde all had good games.
Knobel played well,and had the better of Stafford.I haeld no great hopes for Knobel,but he worked hard and did everything right,so good on him...he might do an important job for us better than expected.
Chaffey whom Ive criticised heavily had a very good match too,playing out of the midfield.He found the ball regularly and usually found his targets driving into the forward 50.
Tambling was VERY impressive.
His speed and poise are enough to excite the biggest doomsdayer,all class,and besides one easy miss from 10mts out was ultra impressive.
Hyde had a good match too,and his kicking was far better than I remembered it to be.
Raines was almost BOG.Found plenty of his own ball,had great vision on the run and good balance like his father too.He set up 3 or 4 goals by himself.
Now the big story....the smoky of the game!!
A young blond mop top kicked 4 goals,made space brilliantly,marked under pressure and kicked beutifully...his name....Mc Guane!!
The boy killed 'em!!
He's light and skinny,but looks like a good long term propect.
The more inexpierienced 'greys' beat the Yellows by probably 3 or goals.

Other positives.

Jackson chased and harrased Brownie,and at least broke even...he even got under Brownies skin!

Cogs completed the whole training session,without starring but looks as cut a figure as can be.
Krakoer crumbed a great goal from under Richo,and did some good things.
Tivendale ran hard and impressed with ball delivery when he got into space.He played in a wide wing role which I reckon suits him.
Rodan kicked a goal from 50mtrs out!! amazing!!
Pettifer took a terrific diving mark,and followed up by slotting a nice goal from a tight angle.He was stood by Delidio,who didnt have much of an impact in a defensive role.
Tuck and Thursfield slugged out a tie for the FF/FB for the greys.
Thursfield is all skin and bone,really scrawny.
Meyer was good in the goal kicking drills but didnt impose himself in the intra club...very light as well.
Highlights...
Jackson running with the flight of the ball,seemingly nowhere near it...then marked and accelerated into goal splitting the sticks...it was fantastic to watch.
Tamblings foot and hand skills.A joy to watch.His tackling is grat too.
The game of Andrew Raines...awesome.

Negatives.
Few.
Simmonds didn't do much.
Delidio was played defensively,so we didnt get to see his wares like we hoped.
Krakoer still seems to lack concerntration and fitness,does some great things,then goes missing and lopes about half hearted.
Gilmour,didnt play the intra club,told us he had a sore quaddie.
The 3 of us getting confused who the players were in their singlets,some guys looked the same,and we were getting Polo,Meyer,Limbach and McGuane mixed up for ages!

Good hard hitout in hot conditions,but entertaining and well competed.
We were suprised Wallace had so little to say to the players,merely observing the drills,and plucking out players for brief chats,BR and DK did nearly all the troop marshalling...Alessio did nothing at all!

We then departed the scumhole to the wondeful London Tavern to file this report...sory for the delay and for its dis-jointedness.

D-Rod shoots on goal

Organised Chaos??

Full size image: click here

Gilmour, McGuane, Tambling, Deledio and Thursfield/Limbach??

Full size image: click here

Simmonds shoots on goal

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 06:30:52 PM by one-eyed »
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tiger Training 14/1/05
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 07:08:28 AM »
Excellent report Fwoy, Struggs and Evo. 

very encouraging.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 08:51:51 AM »

The players who looked fittest included all the big guys,Richo,Simmonds..he's massive,
Music to my ears!!!

Richo(CHF) opposed to Rix (whos even bigger than Richo)
Pic please?  Even bigger??? - I'd like to see that
 ;)

froars

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 02:16:16 PM »
Great report and congrats to the three of you – anyone who goes to training should print this out if they want to do a report on here and use as a guide.  Pretty much covers everything.  Really impressed that you would go to such an effort in the report, complete with Fwoysie’s pics.  :bow

Seems my boy Andrew is doing okay.  He’s had a few good reports from other training sessions on other boards - I hope that continues.  Notice he’d put on a bit of muscle and size at the cricket – what did you think of his size as a player, Fwoysie?  Will he be a regular in the seniors next year do you think?  Nearly BOG in your opinions – I’ll take that  ;D

Not knowing much about footy training drills, are these drills Royal has set the norm we’ve had before and all teams do?  Anyone who regularly goes know if they look sharper, more aggressive, MORE SKILLED lol than before.  Was it done under a reasonable amount of intensity?

If they were being made to work harder than they have in their lives, what was the attitude by the older players?  Were they as keen as obviously the younger kids were?

Did Jackson play a tagging role on Brown – I think he is going to be “special” and would hate to see him as a run with player.  What was Brown doing when Jackson got the ball?  Sounds like this would have been a great contest IMO.

A very important player next year who I hope shoves it up the supporters is Gaspar.  What was he like?  Did he hold down any key players other than Campbell, or was it a case of we’ll put a crock on a crock lol

I hate the sound of these kids being skin and bone – memories of Bourkie and a few others.  How long before they are up to it do you think?  A year or a long term project?  Are they putting on muscle at least?  Great news on McGuane.

Oops, forgot Bowden - how did he look?

Once again, thank you for a great report and effort - you deserved that drink lol
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 02:22:24 PM by Moi »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the report guys.

Can't wait till the footy starts again to see who can do what when it really counts.

Offline The Plow King

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 03:43:06 PM »

Richo(CHF) opposed to Rix (whos even bigger than Richo) Pic please?  Even bigger??? - I'd like to see that
 ;)

Rix sure looks the part Julz.First time I'd seen him and was most impressed.Almost the size of Snake and not an ounce of fat on him.Seemed to hold his own against Richo without really standing our.Looking forward to seeing him play a few games for Coburg.

Just to reiterate Struggs's posts.Raines and Roach looking most promising.Particular Raines.Bling is an absolute gem.Runs hard and demands the ball.Wants to be in the play all the time.Which I love.If nothing else,Richmond will be alot faster side in 2005.

Mcguane was sensational.Looks a real find. :o

The only negative is there's still alot of work to be done on field kicking.Far too many turnovers and missed shots for goal.

I got pretty  :banghead myself Fwoy. ;)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 03:45:33 PM by The Plow King »

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 03:45:20 PM »
Great report guys. Doesn't Strugglebum post on OER Fwoy?
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 06:12:15 AM »
Great to hear the young blokes particularly Raines continuing to train well. Love Wallace's and Royal's match education/simulation drills. You can see them installing modern footy tactics and skills into the playing group  :thumbsup.

Not getting too excited as yet by the intra-club games. Remember we are only playing against the bottom side  :-\. The Wizard Cup will be the first guide to judge how we're progressing.

Btw welcome to OER Plow  :cheers

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 06:19:00 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 01:21:15 PM »
Great report guys. Doesn't Strugglebum post on OER Fwoy?

He might...occasionally  :shh
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 08:34:29 PM »
Great report and congrats to the three of you – anyone who goes to training should print this out if they want to do a report on here and use as a guide.  Pretty much covers everything.  Really impressed that you would go to such an effort in the report, complete with Fwoysie’s pics.  :bow

Seems my boy Andrew is doing okay.  He’s had a few good reports from other training sessions on other boards - I hope that continues.  Notice he’d put on a bit of muscle and size at the cricket – what did you think of his size as a player, Fwoysie?  Will he be a regular in the seniors next year do you think?  Nearly BOG in your opinions – I’ll take that  ;D

Not knowing much about footy training drills, are these drills Royal has set the norm we’ve had before and all teams do?  Anyone who regularly goes know if they look sharper, more aggressive, MORE SKILLED lol than before.  Was it done under a reasonable amount of intensity?

If they were being made to work harder than they have in their lives, what was the attitude by the older players?  Were they as keen as obviously the younger kids were?

Did Jackson play a tagging role on Brown – I think he is going to be “special” and would hate to see him as a run with player.  What was Brown doing when Jackson got the ball?  Sounds like this would have been a great contest IMO.

A very important player next year who I hope shoves it up the supporters is Gaspar.  What was he like?  Did he hold down any key players other than Campbell, or was it a case of we’ll put a crock on a crock lol

I hate the sound of these kids being skin and bone – memories of Bourkie and a few others.  How long before they are up to it do you think?  A year or a long term project?  Are they putting on muscle at least?  Great news on McGuane.

Oops, forgot Bowden - how did he look?

Once again, thank you for a great report and effort - you deserved that drink lol

I think Raines should get to play all of the Wizz Cup games and be selected in Rd 1 if he can impress enough.
Although it was only a practice intra club match,he showed so much poise and seemed to find the neccessary time and space to deliver accurately.I honestly thought he was selected as a bit of a PR stunt at the time,but Id love to see him shove it up my nose and succeed.
I think he can,and will play more games in the seniors than Coburg next year.

The training intensity of Royal and King is superb IMO.Praising where due,and lambasting the unprofessional crap we need to rid ourselves of.Some of the younger guys struggled for fitness understandably.It was 30+ deg and training was 2 1/2Hrs long with few recovery breaks.The older guys looked fitter but the exciting thing for me was the keeness and competitiveness of the younger guys eg Tambling.

Jackson tagged Brownie and did a great job.Brown still did well and is elusive,but Jacko was on his hammer all game.He even outsprinted and outbustled Brownie chasing a loose ball over the line,and in the ensuing tangle Brown gave Jacko a frustrated shove! Brownie wasn't as close when Jackson got the ball...I dont think the defensive side to his game is his strongest.Good contest with Jacko shading Brownie..just.

Gas was OK,but his old bugbear(his kicking) seems to be still with him.He probably beat Campbell in the hitout though,and lets hope his confidence returns.
Bowden was hardly sighted in the hitout,but looked good in the training drills.
The recrits all looked a bit thin,but remember they are miles off being hardened AFL players yet.They are 17yo and will get bigger and better(unless they have Bourke or Fioras diets!)
The 2nd/3rd year kids all looked bigger than last year...Gilmour was a rake last year,he's bigger but still needs to get bigger,Tuck,Raines,Roach,Hartigan and Jackson all look considerably more muscular than last year.

Struggletown does post here BTW...he looks and sounds a lot like me...... ;)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 08:37:55 PM by BoogieKnights »
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 08:52:29 PM »
BoagsallNight, I saw the George Best quote, and I knew that you will have been seen at the LondonTavern a few times

A few questions for those at training

**  Who are the likely defensive 6 for the year, based on what you saw??

**  Was Richo playing a set position and where, or did he have the chance to run amok?

**  Any word on the following players, Moore, Foley and Archibald

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 09:14:23 PM »
BoagsallNight, I saw the George Best quote, and I knew that you will have been seen at the LondonTavern a few times

A few questions for those at training

**  Who are the likely defensive 6 for the year, based on what you saw??

**  Was Richo playing a set position and where, or did he have the chance to run amok?

**  Any word on the following players, Moore, Foley and Archibald

G'day London Bridge

Remembering its only 1 practice match,I figure some thing like:

Moore Gaspar Hartigan
Jackson Bowden Raines.

I hate to say it,but Andy K was stiched up by Luke Mc Guane,and looked slow qnd was no match for him in the air,or on the ground :(

Morrison may be used at CHB at some stage as well.
It going to be a big concern our backline...we'll concede a lot of goals Im afraid :(
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

froars

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 09:30:36 PM »
Thanks for the follow up Stroogie
Hope you fumigated yourself before entering OER
After being at Vic Park of course lol

Ox

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 09:38:30 PM »
Bumped into Chaffey today and asked him the following questions.

1) Is the new training regime a welcome change ?
A) It's great,tough but great.

2)Where do u expect to be playing and are u happy with it?
A)More on-ball if not all on-ball and I'm wrapped.

I didn't ask him directly if he would be playing a tagging role as it can be a quite offensive question to some
and as u all know...the last thing i want is to insult someone.
He looked pretty pumped about everything new about the joint.

I asked if Tambling was a little smartars and was happy to hear he was a really nice kid.
Said of Deledio he was simply a class act.

Then I told him I was farken wrapped we got rid of the imbecile and apologised if he was a mate of his
but I hated him.
He said a lot of people felt that way.

To finish on a positive Chaff,with a  glimmer in his eye said he just felt like we were gonna do allright this year.
Made me remember how hard it must have been for the guys of his era and how frustrated they must be.

Good luck this year boys.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2005, 11:03:37 PM »
Good one Ox Fam.

Chaf will play a tagging role definitely this year.