Author Topic: Richmond $6 million bid to buy an AFL flag (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3080 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond $6 million bid to buy an AFL flag (Herald-Sun)
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
Richmond $6 million bid to buy an AFL flag

* Jon Ralph
    * February 10, 2011

RICHMOND aims to raise $6 million from fans through an ambitious fundraising campaign it believes will deliver the club its 11th premiership.

Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale this week will unveil details of the Fighting Tiger Fund campaign, as Richmond pushes to again become the AFL's No.1 club.

The club has been blown out of the water in football's spending race in recent years, and believes it has reached a critical juncture.

Gale said if the club could clear its $4.5 million debt, it would be able to pump the money saved through interest payments in to football department expenditure.

Coach Damien Hardwick yesterday threw his support behind the bid to raise money for a range of initiatives including a stand-alone VFL side, the ability to spend 100 per cent of the salary cap to retain its stars, and a war chest for free agency's introduction in 2012.

"We feel we have got to invest now. We don't want to go through the next four or five years, and we are in the same cycle again," Hardwick said.

"We need to put time and effort into (Trent) Cotchin, (Brett) Deledio, (Dustin) Martin, (Jack) Riewoldt, (Reece) Conca, all those young players who are here now and who can take us forward. We can't afford to wait any longer. We have waited too long."

The club must also fund the upgrading of the Punt Rd Oval into an elite surface, and wants to expand its recruiting and list analysis program.

The club's fundraising drive will involve rank-and-file members, and a call to arms for wealthy supporters at a dinner on March 17.

Gale stressed the campaign was not about saving Richmond, but allowing it to compete with the AFL's power clubs.

"This is not Save Our Skins," he said. "The competition is fierce, but we aspire to be the best again ... but we need to invest now.

"There is a clear correlation between football department spending and success."

Melbourne was able to clear its debt through a massive group of rich supporters, but the Tigers believe their members will also band together to help the club.

"We are saying to our people, if you want to feel the excitement of grand final week and winning premierships, we have the people and plans, and we need to give them every opportunity to be successful," Gale said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-6-million-bid-to-buy-an-afl-flag/story-e6frf9jf-1226003311871

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richmond $6 million bid to buy an AFL flag (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:38:51 AM »
We generated close to a $1 million in the space of a few months 20 years ago for SOS so I'd guess it's possible to score $6m now over the following year. That's just $12 a pop on average from each of our supposed 500,000 supporters. Dare I say a Tiger levy  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 07:23:56 AM »
We generated close to a $1 million in the space of a few months 20 years ago for SOS so I'd guess it's possible to score $6m now over the following year. That's just $12 a pop on average from each of our supposed 500,000 supporters. Dare I say a Tiger levy  ;D.

I'd much rather pay that levy than the horsesh1t flood levy!  >:(

10 FLAGS

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:32:20 AM »

This is a proper levy for a proper cause!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 07:36:26 AM »
Wonder if tonight has anything to do?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 08:41:51 AM »

I'd much rather pay that levy than the horsepoo flood levy!  >:(

:gobdrop :gobdrop  :rollin :rollin

Yep that makes sense help a footy club before we help re-build parts of the country   :rollin :rollin

But I digrese from the topic at hand  ;D

What was the topic again soemthing about a levy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
Maher and Gaze on SEN saying it's bad timing with the floods, cyclones and bushfires.  ???  :sleep

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

gerkin greg

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »
Nice photo of "Dustin Martin"  :wallywink

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »

Yep that makes sense help a footy club before we help re-build parts of the country   :rollin :rollin

;)

I'm not heartless WP.  I just have a big political reluctance to a Labor government introducing a new tax under the proviso "one off".  Its not in their DNA and the levy should never have been needed after the wasteful indulgence over-reacting to the GFC by spending all our 'rainy day' surplus.  In all my 50+ years there has never been a Labor government in this country that has not emptied the public coffers and those who think this will be a one-off levy need to re-read the history books.

</ end political rant>

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »

;)

I'm not heartless WP.  I just have a big political reluctance to a Labor government introducing a new tax under the proviso "one off".  Its not in their DNA and the levy should never have been needed after the wasteful indulgence over-reacting to the GFC by spending all our 'rainy day' surplus.  In all my 50+ years there has never been a Labor government in this country that has not emptied the public coffers and those who think this will be a one-off levy need to re-read the history books.

</ end political rant>

Fair enough smokey and I actually understand your point. But my view is (and it doesn't matter what ones political leanings are) all govt have introduced new taxes. Even the current opposition was going to introduce a "levy" to fund their paid parental scheme. Under the previous govt a whole new tax was introduced (GST) and other taxes raised consistently (tobacco, alcohol etc) so I dont' ujnderstand all the fuss about this one. WOuld people have preferred that they just hide it somewhere under another guise of increasing say the petrol excise that we currently have?

**side bar: I must confess I am not sure why it was OK for Coalition them to call their proposed "levy" for the PPS a levy and not a tax but this Flood levy can only be called a tax and not a levy

As I said on the other thread on the General discussion board - I am disappointed that this country appears at times to be turning into a nation of sooks and whingers when we have the privilege of living in the best country in the world. There are parts of this country that needs re-building, lets put the poilitics aside and just get on with it

We were built on an ethos of wanting helping one another. But over the last 15 years we seem to becoming more Americanised with a focus on the ideal of "it's all about me and what's in it for me" not the ideal of helping our mates our fellow country men & women. Idealistic? Yeah probably but hey that's me  ;D

Thus endeth my rant  ;) :thumbsup ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »

;)

</ end political rant>

Fair enough smokey and I actually understand your point. But my view is (and it doesn't matter what ones political leanings are) all govt have introduced new taxes. Even the current opposition was going to introduce a "levy" to fund their paid parental scheme. Under the previous govt a whole new tax was introduced (GST) and other taxes raised consistently (tobacco, alcohol etc) so I dont' ujnderstand all the fuss about this one. WOuld people have preferred that they just hide it somewhere under another guise of increasing say the petrol excise that we currently have?

**side bar: I must confess I am not sure why it was OK for Coalition them to call their proposed "levy" for the PPS a levy and not a tax but this Flood levy can only be called a tax and not a levy

As I said on the other thread on the General discussion board - I am disappointed that this country appears at times to be turning into a nation of sooks and whingers when we have the privilege of living in the best country in the world. There are parts of this country that needs re-building, lets put the poilitics aside and just get on with it

We were built on an ethos of wanting helping one another. But over the last 15 years we seem to becoming more Americanised with a focus on the ideal of "it's all about me and what's in it for me" not the ideal of helping our mates our fellow country men & women. Idealistic? Yeah probably but hey that's me  ;D

Good points WP and I don't necessarily disagree with some of them but I have a strong conviction that help doesn't always have to come from our pockets and regardless, it shouldn't be forced or made compulsory.  Those that can help and want to help will help, those that can't or don't want to shouldn't have to.  I know what I think of those that don't want to but for the help to be appreciated, beneficial and lasting then it needs to be offered and accepted, not forced.  Forced help will only fragment and diminish the very communal core of what we should be building.  Should we bring in conscription if our borders get threatened?

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
Ive got natural disaster fatigue.

Would rather donate my money to something with a positive vibe.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »

;)

</ end political rant>

i applaud you thats a fantastic comment and it was only a few hours ago that i wrote an email mentioning those very words.

We are very lucky and should be priveledged, yet we moan and whinge and yell at people who get in front of us by 1 car space on the roads.

I will be donating $100 to the cause and as for the levy, well this this is a footy thread so get stuffed.

People like us will donate and buy memberships its the bandwagon ones we need to jump on board.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 05:48:14 PM »

;)

</ end political rant>
Didn't realise that J Howard was a Tiger fan!
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline TheUmpire

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 06:31:14 PM »

;)

</ end political rant>

i applaud you thats a fantastic comment and it was only a few hours ago that i wrote an email mentioning those very words.

We are very lucky and should be priveledged, yet we moan and whinge and yell at people who get in front of us by 1 car space on the roads.

I will be donating $100 to the cause and as for the levy, well this this is a footy thread so get stuffed.

People like us will donate and buy memberships its the bandwagon ones we need to jump on board.

You guys probably want to travel a bit more. You'd be surprised at what you'd find.