Author Topic: Positives from tonight's two games?  (Read 7126 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Positives from tonight's two games?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
Derickx and Conca impressive. Astbury played well. King tried hard. Moore and Thursfield played well. Disappointments Nahas, Edwards, Browne, Vickery and Rance(particularly in game against Carlton) didn't play well.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 10:43:06 AM »
Gee rolls, it was only ever being used as a look and see exercise. To us it was nothing more than a practice match.

Sure the players that ran out wanted to win, but in reality they never were going to. Dimma said everything he is doing is geared towards round one and I for one am happy about that.

Clubs like collingwood and calton were happy to send out strong sides because it suited their purpose, We did what suited our purpose and will continue to do so for the rest of the pre season.

I find it refreshing that the football department can set their own agenda without having to compromise their long term goals  just to get results in micky mouse games to satisfy membership sales or to keep supporters with unrealistic expectations at bay.

I always think back to the year we played essendon in the pre season granny, giving us all big expectations for the year.
Round one of the real stuff Adelaide gave us a reality check of don bradman proportions and another season of pain and suffering endured.

We've been told that success will not be measured in wins/loss this year, so why would that attitude change for a glorified practice match?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »
the objective should be to try and find some players. yesterday we achieved just that. conca, batchelor and derrickx all showed they can provide something to the team.

I was just as keen as anyone to look at some new players, and the potential shown by the ones you mention were the only highlights of a miserable night. But we should have gone in with more of a mix of youth and experience, and at least given ourselves a chance of winning, or being more competitive.
I'm sick to death of being bundled out of this comp by huge margins every single year. It's demoralising for the fans, and makes you feel after waiting 6 months for a fix,that nothing has changed. It's not that the comp itself means anything. It should be treated as our preparation for the real stuff, which in my view is better than having to trudge all over the country, playing on possibly sub-standard grounds with no prize money on offer.   
It's true that this is a mickey mouse competion and hard to take seriously. Especially considering most of our experienced mids were rested. The coaches must have a plan of action for the season proper especially round 1. The only problem is that if it all falls over and we get thrashed against the cheats then was this stategy worth it considering all the points you just mentioned?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 11:25:59 AM »
Al, it's just more of the same old same old that upsets me.
We go there and get treated like 2nd-class citizens by the AFL: makeshift dressing rooms in the carpark, makeshift coaches box made from an old media box, and the phone line from the coach to the bench breaks down.
The umpires set the agenda straight away with two identical incidents within seconds of each other having two different interpretations. We lay a tackle -play on -they lay a tackle, holding the ball.
Carlton start clogging up our forward line in the second half, and we stop to an absolute crawl and try to chip our way around it and get blown away 5 goals to zip.
Collingwood put their full ground press on, and we can't get the ball past our half-back line. Are we keeping our powder dry for round one?? Well, we can only hope. But judging by the way Carlton were able to break through Collingwood's zone and hang in the game to the extent where they could've pinched it with a 9-pointer at the end as they pressed forward, I'd say we're in for another hammering come round one again.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:34:25 AM »
the objective should be to try and find some players. yesterday we achieved just that. conca, batchelor and derrickx all showed they can provide something to the team.

I was just as keen as anyone to look at some new players, and the potential shown by the ones you mention were the only highlights of a miserable night. But we should have gone in with more of a mix of youth and experience, and at least given ourselves a chance of winning, or being more competitive.
I'm sick to death of being bundled out of this comp by huge margins every single year. It's demoralising for the fans, and makes you feel after waiting 6 months for a fix,that nothing has changed. It's not that the comp itself means anything. It should be treated as our preparation for the real stuff, which in my view is better than having to trudge all over the country, playing on possibly sub-standard grounds with no prize money on offer.   
It's true that this is a mickey mouse competion and hard to take seriously. Especially considering most of our experienced mids were rested. The coaches must have a plan of action for the season proper especially round 1. The only problem is that if it all falls over and we get thrashed against the cheats then was this stategy worth it considering all the points you just mentioned?

While it would be nice to win round 1, every single message that has come from the club this pre-season has been that we are not chasing rainbows, quick fixes or gratuitous wins - this season is all about more games into the kids, further development in the game plan and more competitive efforts defensively.  And to that end, the team picked last night was only a very small piece of the jigsaw that will be 2011.  My take on the consistent stream of communication is that getting us 'cherry ripe' for round 1 will not be the priority and we should have no expectations greater than being more competitive.  If a win comes, then all the better but I want the club to be really successful in a year or two when we have the list, development, maturity, strength and ability to deliver that, so to that end I'm happy to wait and see.  Even though I am probably too optimistic for my own good, I (like most others on here) believe we finally have the right team in place off field to deliver so my faith will remain in being tolerant and patient for the immediate future at least.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »

While it would be nice to win round 1, every single message that has come from the club this pre-season has been that we are not chasing rainbows, quick fixes or gratuitous wins - this season is all about more games into the kids, further development in the game plan and more competitive efforts defensively.  And to that end, the team picked last night was only a very small piece of the jigsaw that will be 2011.  My take on the consistent stream of communication is that getting us 'cherry ripe' for round 1 will not be the priority and we should have no expectations greater than being more competitive.  If a win comes, then all the better but I want the club to be really successful in a year or two when we have the list, development, maturity, strength and ability to deliver that, so to that end I'm happy to wait and see.  Even though I am probably too optimistic for my own good, I (like most others on here) believe we finally have the right team in place off field to deliver so my faith will remain in being tolerant and patient for the immediate future at least.

We cant on one hand be asking for our members to contribute to a fighting fund for us to not go out and do everything we can to smash the Blues in Round 1. A good effort here is very important for our club

its not the be all and end all i agree but a win would boost that fighting fund and out us well on our way.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 11:47:20 AM »

I really really really hope that you, Gale and Hardwick are on the right track. And I've heard them say it over and over "NO shortcuts" but can we please please please just beat Carlton cheats round 1????

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 11:50:30 AM »
yep, Rolls,  we possibly are looking at a beating round 1, but the side we field will be vastly different to last nights. It was basically a seconds side playing near full strength sides from the premiers and finalists from last year.

I feel your frustration and pain, mate; and if in two years time we are still dishing the same old I will be distraught. (if the club had folded half through 2009 i would have viewed it as a mercy killing. they were dark days indeed  :'( )

For now though, i can see we are heading in the right direction so i keep my expectations low and draw satisfaction/enjoymnent out of the little things.

The other things you mention we have no control over, so I try to not let them get to me, even though it may add to the frustration , particularly things like that that shocking free kick scenario with white. I suppose first game the umps need to be cut a bit of slack too.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
Smokey, I just don't understand how the club equates putting up a reasonable showing in the NAB CUP to be a quick fix, or chasing rainbows.
The Comp in itself is meaningless as a form guide for the season, I acknowledge that. But it should be taken seriously as an opportunity to give the SENIOR players the necessary match conditioning for round one. And if we can advance to the finals, all the better, because we win some prize money that we can put towards our debt. We're also likely to attract more of the bet-hedging members to cash up if they see us put in a good performance against our old enemies on television. I don't see any advantage to being continually relegated to the also-ran travelling circus.
Putting in a skeleton squad doesn't spare the experienced players from the risk of injury, as they will most likely end up having to fly halfway across the country to Alice Springs or somewhere to play in a turkish bath-house next week.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 12:11:34 PM »
Positives. No injuries.  :thumbsup

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
Nahas is a sh|t truck.

Sorry! Positives, ummmmmmm first 1/2 Carltank great attacking footy.
Then if we hanged on, on purpose or went into shells, terrible.

Could learn a lot from the skunks, they don't give you much time to breathe when youv'e got it.

All in all another sh|t richmond night .........
Are you going to cut up your membership, delete your OER logon and never watch another Richmond game?

Yet another dork poster.

No to all! And whatever wanka, you were happy with that? We still got a way to go chump!

Ox

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »
Field of Spastics.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »
Smokey, I just don't understand how the club equates putting up a reasonable showing in the NAB CUP to be a quick fix, or chasing rainbows.
The Comp in itself is meaningless as a form guide for the season, I acknowledge that. But it should be taken seriously as an opportunity to give the SENIOR players the necessary match conditioning for round one. And if we can advance to the finals, all the better, because we win some prize money that we can put towards our debt. We're also likely to attract more of the bet-hedging members to cash up if they see us put in a good performance against our old enemies on television. I don't see any advantage to being continually relegated to the also-ran travelling circus.
Putting in a skeleton squad doesn't spare the experienced players from the risk of injury, as they will most likely end up having to fly halfway across the country to Alice Springs or somewhere to play in a turkish bath-house next week.

Every player on the list is now being managed individually (as well as the list collectively) regarding workload, development, strength, stamina etc and while we are still in the very early stages of our complete rebuild then the NAB Cup will only ever be a vehicle that will be used to help achieve that end aim.  In a couple of years with mature bodies, well-drilled game plan and experience then we will be in a position to have a crack at winning but at this stage it would be counter productive to what we need to achieve.  The prizemoney is nowhere near significant enough to trade off the oft-stated long term goal of success for a (very) hit and miss chance at a payday.  I'm not sure what the prizemoney is this year but last year it was $180k for winning and $120k for runner up.  Not in our wildest dreams are we currently capable of finishing first or second when more mature sides are approaching the Cup with a more serious attitude to preparing and winning - Collingwood being a good example - and for that small amount of prizemoney its just not worth the trade-off in the long term scheme of things.  A good showing in the NAB Cup by a team in it's infancy of rebuilding will do nothing to enhance the prospects of sponsorship or membership but the confidence in the strong leadership/management of all facets of the club working towards the long term goal of success will.  And I don't buy into the increased injury risk issue at all.  We train at a number of suburban grounds all pre-season, all the grounds used in the pre-season matches are inspected and passed by the AFL, and career hampering injuries are just as likely to occur at training as in matches.

red

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
1. Nahas, White and Edwards. We have our delistings sorted out early.
2. ..........
You have no idea.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
1. Nahas, White and Edwards. We have our delistings sorted out early.
2. ..........
You have no idea.

Welcome to OER Gerks whoops Red

:help