Author Topic: Richmond Reserves side / Tigers to endanger Coburg's survival (Age)  (Read 4472 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Richmond Reserves side / Tigers to endanger Coburg's survival (Age)
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »
The issue is getting a VFL license isn't it? Cause I reckon we'll have the coin by year's end. 2-3-4 years away is too long.

Collingwood, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, Gold Coast & GWS plus looking likely Fremantle and West Coast next year – we'll be chasing the pack again before we know it.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 04:00:14 PM »
I can't find the audio but Gary March was on SEN yesterday and he said a stand alone reserves side is still possibly 2-3-4 years away.
Yeah, heard that on SEN last night too.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 04:14:02 PM »
I can't find the audio but Gary March was on SEN yesterday and he said a stand alone reserves side is still possibly 2-3-4 years away.
How would you feel about a national reseves comp playing curtain raisers? Bankrolled by the AFL of course. I would turn up early to watch

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 04:19:02 PM »
caught that discussion too and agree that is the way to go.

gerkin greg

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 04:34:52 PM »
How would you feel about a national reseves comp playing curtain raisers? Bankrolled by the AFL of course. I would turn up early to watch

I'd turn up to watch but i'd prefer the AFL to stay out of it and fund our own reserves side and put some distance between us and those that can't afford it. Be nice to have an advantage over other clubs for as long as possible before the AFL steps in and starts bankrolling a new comp.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 09:52:16 PM »
i'm not convinced a VFL side is a pre req for winning a flag...heck the saints have been right up there as have the dogs, hawks won a flag with Box hill alignment, the interstate teams dont have a single ressies side with exception of bris and syd...I could think of better uses of our $$$$$ as in a more formidable recruiting netwrork and player development academy
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:18 PM »
no, not necesarily a pre req., but it can only help to have full control over the development of the young players

gerkin greg

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 10:25:24 AM »
7 of the last 10 flags have been won by a side with standalone reserves

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »
The issue is getting a VFL license isn't it? Cause I reckon we'll have the coin by year's end. 2-3-4 years away is too long.

yep VFL lincenses are issued by AFL Victoria - so we need to get a license

I reckon getting is a given but I'd be surprsied if it can all happen by 2012. I mean Punt Road Oval is going to be re-configured after the 2011 season, will it be ready to host games remembering the standard requirements for the palying surface would be different for hosting games compared to what's acceptable for training... but then agan there is always Craigieburn  :outtahere  ;D

Perhaps 2013 is more realistic target
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
The afl should have not scrapped the reserves league.

Sly dogs

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 07:06:26 PM »
I'll give people a quick in-site to the year i was involved at Coburg. (even if it was only for a little while) It was Jade's first year as coach. His assistance's were a couple of local EFL footballers (both great fellas) and the coach of the Coburg twos (who is now coaching the Coburg seniors) is a school teacher and his assistance's were his mates and more local footballers. Don't get me wrong about local footballers, they all want to help, and that's great BUT most of them don't really know what it takes to be an AFL footballer and all that goes with it.
So my question to you all is, do we want them coaching and DEVOLOPING our kids that don't play in our seniors?

We need a stand alone team asap!!!!!

If we ever want to win another flag we need full time, professional coaches coaching our kids full time. Our young draftees need to be playing together week in week out, learning how our game plan works. Anything else is just a short cut and done for convenience (Coburg)
That same year Geelong and Collingwood had stand alone sides with full time coaches (Collingwood had Gavin Brown and Geelong had Leigh Tudor i think) learning game plans and learning how each other play the game, and both made the finals and have ever since.

Who knows, maybe if we had of had the same resources as some other clubs over those years, some of our young draftees may have made it????

the claw

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »

Collingwood, Geelong, Brisbane, Sydney, Gold Coast & GWS plus looking likely Fremantle and West Coast next year – we'll be chasing the pack again before we know it.
syd bris and now gc gws do it out of need.

imo if enough clubs go down this path we should have a national reserves comp. with compensation to interstate clubs who have to travel every second week. pretty costly to fly a reserves side around the country every second week.
perhaps the afl can have an air line sponsor the travel costs for all clubs.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 09:43:20 AM »
National Reserves comp should be funded by the AFL, not the clubs
Firstly, the AFL are not skint, plus the reserves will most likely draw better crowds than they get at current VFL, QAFL, AFL NSW/ACT matches

If they were smart they would even rotate the interstate home games vs the senior side. For example on a weekend when Sydney is playing away, they can schedule the Sydney reserves to play at home against some other side. There would be far more Swans supports who love their footy wanting to see a match live that weekend than those who go to a match in the local competition.

gerkin greg

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
But why would you support giving sides that can't afford a standalone side a leg up? I don't want Richmond to be on a level playing field with Carlton & Essendon, I want to be above them. If a club can't afford a standalone VFL side, stiff shˇt, work with an alignment.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »
I have no problem in creating an equal playing field in that area, especially when we are currently not getting those benefits and won't be for a couple of years.
If we don't have to pay for it ourselves then its money we can reinvest into other areas. It's not like we'd be wasting money, in fact if the AFL brought in this system then it would mean we wouldn't need to buy a VFL license. That could be some extra recruiters, or a high altitude training room.