Author Topic: Cogs out of Wizzard Cup and Practice Matches  (Read 2927 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Cogs out of Wizzard Cup and Practice Matches
« on: January 18, 2005, 08:08:57 PM »
 :banghead :banghead :banghead

What a surprise :banghead :banghead :banghead >:( >:( :help :help :banghead :banghead

Markk Coughlan was on Channel 10's news this evening confirming that he wouldn't be taking part in the Wizz Fizzer Cups and/or any practice matches. Also said he is a bit behind in being ready for round 1. :banghead :banghead

The good news is - he's certainly bulked up in the upper body. :gobdrop

Not happy
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

Re: Cogs out of Wizzard Cup and Practice Matches
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 08:14:35 PM »
Will he be right for round one WP
Sounds like another year with this rotten injury  :banghead

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 12:14:43 AM »
The really good news about this is that at least we are not rushing him back. It's good to see the coaching department comming clean on his injury concerns now instead of dumping it on us closer to the start of the season. If he ain't ready, he ain't ready and I'm glad our coaches and Coughlan himself are being honest about it, good signs :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 12:43:48 AM »
The good news is that we will be getting another 2 first rounds picks in the national draft.

If Cogs doesn't come good and Brown is going to be playing in the forward line, who the hell is going to be playing on the ball?

Johnson and.....?

Rodan, Hyde and Chaffey are not fit to play on the ball in my opinion. Bowden will be doing his thing in the backline. Tivendale is a wingman. Which leaves who?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 12:45:32 AM by JohnF »

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 09:48:33 AM »
Good question JohnF.  If Cogs is no where near being right then it’s good he won’t be playing.  Even if it means missing some of the real season.  He’d just be targeted by the opposition and we wouldn’t have too many around him to take some of the pressure, which could just make it harder for him to regain confidence.  I’ll be happy if he gets to play the second half of the season.

We can look forward to seeing some of the new recruits and up and coming players take the field.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 10:02:53 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 10:18:01 AM »
Will he be right for round one WP

The report said that he is unlikely to be ready for round one, Cogs said he isn't sure.

I took it all to mean he wont be ready for round 1.

I am glad they are taking it slowly with him as they should it is a serious problem. I just keep doing this  :banghead :banghead because I am still staggerd that he played those last 2 games for 2004 for no reason. He commented on that saying he played those games and then "it" got sore again.  :banghead :banghead Stupid :banghead :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 02:13:53 AM »
I just keep doing this  :banghead :banghead because I am still staggerd that he played those last 2 games for 2004 for no reason. He commented on that saying he played those games and then "it" got sore again.  :banghead :banghead Stupid :banghead :banghead

We all feel the same way WP. Totally unbelievable we would risk Cogs for nothing   ??? :banghead  :banghead.

Cogs mentioned he still has to work alot on his running fitness. If he doesn't have a proper preseason behind him then we can sadly write off 2005 for him  :(. Too greater risk of further injury and prolonging his groin complaint.

If Cogs doesn't come good and Brown is going to be playing in the forward line, who the hell is going to be playing on the ball?

Johnson and.....?

Rodan, Hyde and Chaffey are not fit to play on the ball in my opinion. Bowden will be doing his thing in the backline. Tivendale is a wingman. Which leaves who?

Wallace will have to rotate like crazy through the midfield. Johnson, Brown, Krakouer, Rodan, Hyde, Chaffey, Bowden, Hartigan, Newman and even Cambo (for very short stints). Anyone who isn't a tall basically will need to step up. In a way that's how it should be. More versatility means more options for Terry and co.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cogs - which is it we wonder....
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »
This is from part of an article appearing in the RFC today that talks about stoppages.

At the end of it it says this about Cogs and his injury

====

"At a session at Victoria Park this week, the Tigers had only Kane Johnson and Mark Chaffey on the sidelines, with both carrying slight hamstring injuries.

But Royal indicated both will be available when games start, as will dynamic young midfielder Mark Coughlan, who trained strongly with the main group after being on a modified program over summer.

Coughlan, who suffered osteitis pubis and missed rounds six to 20, is gently easing his way towards full fitness.

"That was probably the longest he trained so he's getting back with the group," Royal said of Monday's workout.

"He had it fairly heavy so it's one we're trying to take our time with and making sure it doesn't reoccur.""

For the full article see:

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=183158

I'm confused :-\ :scream :-[ :help

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 07:10:50 PM »
Cogs IMV seemed less optimistic about his chances going on the Ch 10 interview he did. Trust more the view coming from the horse's mouth. I can't see him playing seniors round 1 just from the fact he won't have played any practice or Wizz Fizz games and he's spent nearly all of the pre-season on a modified training program. Give him plenty of time to get right and test him out slowly at Coburg and in a outside flank/midfield position where he isn't twisting and turning and getting clobbered every minute. In that way get his match fitness and running up to the level it needs to be as well give him confidence in his body holding up over a few matches before throwing him back into the inside midfield of the seniors.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Cogs to play a quarter at Vic Park
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 01:04:46 AM »
By Melissa Ryan
Mildura
February 4, 2005

Coughlan will play a quarter in the club's intra-club game at Victoria Park on Wednesday, but will miss the Wizard Cup opener.

"The groin? It's good, it's good during training, it's just it still tightens up a little and I've got to get all the physio straight afterwards," he said. "I've just got to be careful and at this time of year there's still a bit of time left before the start of the season and I'd like to get it really right for that."

While he would like to be able to reproduce the four-quarter midfield dominance that gained him the 2003 best-and-fairest, Coughlan envisages a different role upon his return, wanting to spend some time forward "and be dangerous there", and is in no doubt that the likes of Deledio and Tambling "will play just about every game and be putting a lot of pressure on your middle-age, senior-age players".

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/02/03/1107409985162.html?oneclick=true

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cogs to play a quarter at Vic Park
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 01:18:41 AM »
Coughlan to return
04 February 2005   
Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

RICHMOND is set to unleash midfield hero Mark Coughlan in next Wednesday's intra-club practice match, almost 12 months to the day he first felt the onset of osteitis pubis.

A conservative management program means Coughlan, 22, will be well short of match fitness, but on track to play in Round 1 of the home-and-away season.

He skipped the practice match yesterday and is likely to return in a reserves game rather than the February 18 Wizard Cup opener against Collingwood.

He is confident his body can now withstand the rigours of an AFL season.

"I have done every session since Christmas, although I haven't done the extras that other guys are doing in terms of running," he said.

"I said a couple of months ago I would be (unlikely) for the first round of the Wizard Cup and I will still probably say that now. It is not my goal.

"I might play a half in the reserves that week and then if I am right to play a full game, hopefully the second round."

Coughlan managed only five games early last season before returning for the last two rounds.

Although his groin remains free of pain during and after training, he remains cautious.

"It is good during training but it still tightens up a little and I have to get all the physio afterwards. I have just got to be careful at this time of year," he said.

Coughlan may play a slightly modified role in the centre upon his return, pushing forward at times because he is not as fit as his teammates following three months of total rest after the 2004 season.

He takes heart from teammate Joel Bowden, who had a injury-interrupted pre-season last year and then went on to win the club's best-and-fairest award.

"I would like to think I will play as much time as what I have in the two years previous to last year, (but) it might be hard to get in the middle as much as 2003 when I played just about four quarters in the middle," Coughlan said.

"No one can really do that these days, so I would like to spend time there but also get up forward and be dangerous up there. That is a part of my game I need to improve."

Coughlan also is keen to ease the goal-scoring pressure on forward Matthew Richardson.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,12145080%255E19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 03:12:22 AM »
Hard to fault the way the club is handling Cogs at the moment after the stuff-up last year playing him unnecessarily. Still edgy about how he is going but it's great to hear he is free of pain. Hopefully as Cogs  improves his running fitness with the other more core stability stuff like yoga and pilaties (sp?) the tightness after training will cease touch wood. Commonsense has finally prevailed. Good idea playing him initially forward away from the 4 quarters of heavy contact in the middle.

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 03:30:18 AM »
Cogs is itching to go.

Hypothetically, if he played all of 2004 and took home his second B&F, would he be captain this year?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 03:42:46 AM »
Hypothetically, if he played all of 2004 and took home his second B&F, would he be captain this year?

He's still a bit quiet from a talking to the media perspective but it would be hard not to give him the captaincy if that had happened. I'd reckon yes.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 12:50:22 PM »
"I might play a half in the reserves that week and then if I am right to play a full game, hopefully the second round."

Now that seems a good reason to go and have a look at the Coburg practice match against Williamstown on the 18/2/05 at the lexus centre ;)