Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 84826 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2005, 06:01:32 PM »
If Newman is being kept up at night over the clangers he makes blokes like Chaffey must have insomnia!

lmfaoooo@Chaffey not having gone to sleep since 2002.

Absolutely  :rollin
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2005, 07:58:58 PM »
If Newman is being kept up at night over the clangers he makes blokes like Chaffey must have insomnia!

lmfaoooo@Chaffey not having gone to sleep since 2002.

Absolutely  :rollin

No caffeine tablets for the Chaffster!

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2005, 08:22:17 PM »
lmfaooooo Bg.

lmfaoooooo@players making clangers before the match instead of taking Nodoz.

Moi

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2005, 08:23:57 PM »
Anyone reckon that these players don't care - that just proves they do.
Onya Chris  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2005, 04:43:45 PM »
Hello Newman...
The Fighting Tiger Bulletin
By Tony Greenberg

You won't find Chris Newman on 'The Footy Show'.

You won't find Chris Newman in the footy headlines of your favorite newspaper.

You won't find Chris Newman mingling with the 'glamors' at the Brownlow Medal.

Where you will find Chris Newman is in the backline for Richmond on match days, quietly, but ultra-efficiently going about his business.

The 23-year-old veteran of nearly 70 AFL games, is one of those players who some­how manages to stay out of the spotlight, despite being darn good at his craft.

His explanation for that is typically modest: "I'm a backline player, I'm stock-standard. . . just a few spoils and that sort of thing."

While Newman's new coach at Tigerland, Terry Wallace, acknowledges that his reli­able left-foot defender does tend to slip under the radar, he certainly wouldn't describe him as "stock-standard".

"He doesn't really attract a lot of atten­tion here either. I mean, you've got to go and seek him out - he won't come and seek you out. That's his nature. . . he's quiet - a 'doer' rather than a 'sayer' ," Wallace said.

'There are some blokes who will show the way by their actions on the training track, and some blokes who show the way by hav­ing a strong presence within the group.

"Chris shows the way just by what he does. He steps across the white line and he's a warrior.

"People will follow that type of person. . ."

Despite Newman's low profile and low­key approach to the game, Wallace actual­ly took particular interest in him upon arrival at Punt Road as coach.

"I play basketball with his uncle, so it was only natural to watch him a little bit clos­er," he said.

That 'friendly' link, however, didn't stop Wallace from being his customary forth­right, honest self at his first official meet­ing with Newman.

"He told me that I was coming into my fifth year and he thought I was one of those play­ers who needed to make that next step and start performing, otherwise everything might go downhill from there," Newman said.

"Five years in, he felt I probably should have been a bit more developed than what I had shown - probably more so in terms of last year. The year before that he thought was okay."

Newman agreed with his coach's assess­ment...

"I saw myself as having made a steady improvement up until last year when I just flat-lined, or probably even decreased. I wanted to take the next step last year, but obviously it didn't happen. It was disap­pointing that I couldn't get the job done for the team and disappointing that we were losing every week," he said.

"We were 4-4 after eight rounds and that wasn't too bad. . . but after that it was just horrific. We couldn't get anything right on the field."

Wallace has no doubt the team's poor form in 2004 contributed to Newman's individual improvement graph heading slightly south for the first time in his league career.

"I thought he just lost his way a little bit last year, which can happen when you're playing in an environment that is not a win­ning one," Wallace said.

Midway through 2005, Tigerland is a totally different place. . . much to Newman's delight.

"I think confidence is a pretty big thing and obviously last year our confidence was shot to bits. It's like a fresh start now. We've really taken to Terry and the new coaching staff. And, the new players have helped, too, with a bit of experience and a bit of youth there," Newman said.

"We'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't make the eight after a good start to the season, but obviously we can't look too much ahead because anything can happen.
Every win's pretty much a bonus for me after last year. I just love winning:'

Newman's role in Richmond's solid showing during the first half of the year has been significant.

He has not only nullified the opposition's best small forwards on a consistent basis, but he's also been a springboard for Tiger attacking thrusts with his hard running and penetrating left foot.

Wallace has been suitably impressed with the way 'Newie' has responded to the challenge he threw down to him,

"Initially, I thought he probably would develop into one of our midfielders - a strong-bodied, in-and-under type. But then I found out that we didn't have many hard-nosed, strong, tough defenders who could play on the 'smalls'. So, almost through necessity, rather than anything else, we've kept him in the backline," Wallace said.

"He's good enough to play in the mid­field, but I wanted to get some real stabili­ty into our backline, as well as some phys­ical strength. I just thought Chris had the ability to fill that role really well - and he's taken it on magnificently,

"If I find myself some replacements, some guys to come up from underneath, who are wanting to take on that sort of role in the backline, then I'm sure he can devel­op into a top-line midfielder.

"But that doesn't mean he has to. I've seen players in the past at other clubs ­almost All-Australian backmen - who have been desperate to get into the midfield. They finally got their way by pushing the issue, but I don't know whether that helped their careers. In fact, they probably were better players in the backline....

"Gary Ayres was good enough to play as a centreman/ruck­rover, but he was also one of the best back pocket players going around. . . I don't have to move 'Newie' just for the sake of it"

Newman admits he has midfield aspi­rations, but is in no hurry to make the move to the 'coal­face'.

"I played my junior football in the mid­field and I want to try and develop into a midfielder at Richmond. The midfield roles that I've had have been mainly run-with roles, so I haven't really had the chance to play my own game, which I want to do eventually. But at the moment, I'm pretty comfortable being down back," he said.

'We've formed a bit of a bond in the back half. We're good mates off the field as well . . ' we catch up for lunch all the time and have a few laughs. And, the boys have been in fairly good form, too. . . 'Gas', 'Chubb', 'Tivva', 'Bowdo' and 'Razor'."

A key part of Newman's backline role with the Tigers this season has been the 'kick-ins'. The pressure on those players who bring the ball back into play after an
opposition has scored a behind is consid­erable, but it's something the unflappable Newman appears ideally suited to.

"Choco [Brian Royal) wanted me to kick in this year. I think I only did it a couple of times last year. I did it through the under-18s, although it's a bit different there. But I'm enjoying it . . ." he said.

"My kicking is something I needed to improve. I thought it was one of my strengths, but I wanted to fine­ tune it

"I've worked a fair bit with [assistant coach] Dave Wheadon and he's helped me with my ball drop and a few other things to do with my technique. Terry seems fairly happy with the way the kick­-ins have been going.

He says he's seen steady improvement in my kicking,"

Not surprisingly, given the Tigers' startling improvement this season and his own good form, Newman is a devoted Wallace disciple.

"Terry's really positive. He's devel­oped a formula for us to follow throughout the year, and that's what we stick to," Newman said.

"He's just really easy to understand, easy to get along with, and he obviously knows his stuff. . . he's really switched on.

"When he arrived, he went back to the basics with everything, and that's what we needed. Even with the skills, we just started with the basics pre-season. Everything has just sort of rolled on from there. . ...

Newman, who is contracted to the Tigers until the end of the 2006 season, is genuine­ly excited about the Club's prospects both short-term and long-term.

'We did really well in the Draft last year. We got the two best young players in the country in Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling. And, we also did well to get 'Simmo' (Troy Simmonds] across, along with Trent Knobel and 'Heebee' [Mark GrahamJ. That's helped bring a little bit of balance to the group," Newman said.

"Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison have shown they can play as well, and we've got quite a few other promising young players on the list, too.

"I can't wait till those young blokes really hit their straps because that will be some­thing to see. . ...

Newman, at his stage of league football life, is fully aware of the extra responsibili­ty now on his shoulders at Tigerland, as he strives to set the right example for the Club's talented department of youth.

And, he admits that down the track he would relish the opportunity of being involved in an official leadership capacity with the Tigers.

"It's something that you've got to take on a bit with the younger players now, but obviously in the future I want to look to be in the leadership group," he said.

"You look at the players who are in there at the Club (Johnson, Brown, Bowden and RichardsonJ and they're the real core of the playing group.

"To be in the leadership group's a big honor, and it'd be great if that happens...".

In the meantime, though, Newman will do what Newman does best - take care of business on the field of battle for the Yellow and Black, minus any fuss or bother.

That's the Chris Newman way...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2005, 05:30:37 AM »
Fantastic game today from Chrissy Newman. Gave Nick Davis a bath. He was allowed to play in a more natural running off half-back role and he blitzed passing well and taking some telling marks particularly that last one to snuff out the Swannies last chance. B.O.G.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2005, 06:03:26 AM »
He is a great back-pocket, half-back. I like him there rather than in the midfield.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2007, 06:51:47 PM »
Without trying to mozz him, Newy hasn't missed a beat this year after coming back from a broken leg.

Ox

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »
mozzed :gobdrop

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
He'll be fine touchwood lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2007, 08:44:37 PM »

:rollin

Without trying to mozz him, Newy hasn't missed a beat this year after coming back from a broken leg.

Might not have missed a beat MT but has certainly missed a few targets  ;D

(oops it must be catching :help :pray :whistle ;D)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2007, 09:44:03 PM »
Might not have missed a beat MT but has certainly missed a few targets  ;D

(oops it must be catching :help :pray :whistle ;D)
I thought he was one of our better players last Friday night. It'll probably take another few months given he missed a fair chuck of footy before he's fully back to where he was before the broken leg. I'm just happy he touchwood isn't having any complications like others coming back from a broken leg sadly are.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2007, 10:53:39 PM »
Too right.

On ya Newy.  :thumbsup
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 02:03:11 AM »
Chris Newman "I" believe will be our next Captain. The North Melbourne match was bad, though Chris to me looked; Hungry, Won the 50/50 contests, Took strong marks under pressure. Our Future Captain we have found. Mark Coughlan could of been our next Captain. "I" also would like "The Captain" not to wear "The No.17". All Richmond jumps should have a little "No.17" on the back. eg: where; BBFFC, FFC, SMFC writing would be.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2008, 12:14:13 PM »
Tigers will rebound: Newman
richmondfc.com.au
Matt Burgan
Mon 31 March, 2008

ACTING Richmond captain Chris Newman says some minor tinkering is all his team needs to get back on the winners' list.

Coach Terry Wallace promised changes after Sunday’s 41-point loss to North Melbourne, but Newman said the Tigers were well-placed to tackle arch-rival Collingwood next Sunday at the MCG.

"We have to get back to our starting points and get back to beating the opposition at the ball,” Newman told richmondfc.com.au. “The boys know where it's at and how to win games, but it's just a matter of applying that and it's a mindset thing.

"We've still got 100 per cent belief in where we're heading and we think that some of the things that we displayed out there are really fixable, so not all is lost and it's only round two.

"We wanted to be two [wins] and zero [losses] at this stage, but we're obviously not and we've got Collingwood next week, which should be a huge challenge, so we're going to have to step it up later in the week."

Newman said beating North Melbourne was always going to be difficult after a slow start.

"It was obviously a disappointing start to the game and we were behind the eight ball in the first quarter. It was really hard to fight our way back because the Kangaroos are such a competitive side - they're not going to let you off easily.

"I thought we fought back in the last quarter, but the game was lost."

Newman said it was a privilege to lead the side in the absence of Kane Johnson, who was sidelined after voluntarily suspending himself last week.

"It's been really exciting to be one of the vice-captains of the club,” Newman said.

“It's a huge honour and I don't take it lightly. At this stage, I'm always looking to improve my leadership qualities.

"It's a big challenge because we've got a fairly young group and we've had a big build-up and pre-season, and a lot of those players are starting to come into their own.

"It's all about the team winning and regardless of if I touch the footy or not - it's the team first and it's always disappointing to come off the ground with a loss."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=57104