Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93945 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2008, 07:51:39 PM »
Chris Newman "I" believe will be our next Captain. The North Melbourne match was bad, though Chris to me looked; Hungry, Won the 50/50 contests, Took strong marks under pressure. Our Future Captain we have found. Mark Coughlan could of been our next Captain. "I" also would like "The Captain" not to wear "The No.17". All Richmond jumps should have a little "No.17" on the back. eg: where; BBFFC, FFC, SMFC writing would be.

This jury is still out but he likely is the next captain

Thought he was doing alright until the last quarter, disappointing effort on the members wing (we were 30 points down), not enough intensity, ended resulting in that dribble goal that sealed it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »
Newy for Captain :thumbsup

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »
Newy for Captain :thumbsup

He is a good player.  :thumbsup
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
Chris Newman "I" believe will be our next Captain. The North Melbourne match was bad, though Chris to me looked; Hungry, Won the 50/50 contests, Took strong marks under pressure. Our Future Captain we have found. Mark Coughlan could of been our next Captain. "I" also would like "The Captain" not to wear "The No.17". All Richmond jumps should have a little "No.17" on the back. eg: where; BBFFC, FFC, SMFC writing would be.

This jury is still out but he likely is the next captain

Thought he was doing alright until the last quarter, disappointing effort on the members wing (we were 30 points down), not enough intensity, ended resulting in that dribble goal that sealed it
Agree WP. In front at the moment as he was the only Tiger in the leadership group who played okay and didn't have an absolute shocker on Sunday.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

bushranger

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2008, 10:20:44 PM »
Give it to him now we need a real leader on feild. Not a pee poor one to follow.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
i dont think he should be next captain

is not accountable enough and is not an a class act that can win games and own the game

next captain should be deledio of foley

deledio for me

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »
Newman may be trade bait at the end of the season.
If he isn't then he will be captain as such are the idiosynchrisies we exist with at Punt Rd.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2008, 04:24:22 AM »
Newman to lead the Tigers
Michael Gleeson | November 19, 2008

RESPECTED Richmond defender Chris Newman is expected to be announced as the new Tigers captain today, just a week after Kane Johnson stood down as skipper.

Midfielder Nathan Foley, a vice-captain this year with Newman, is expected to remain in that role.

The Tigers' changes will usher a new generation of mid-20s players into the leadership, but the Tigers are believed to have opted against going one step further and encouraging the younger generation again — players such as Brett Deledio or Trent Cotchin — into taking titled leadership positions.

Newman, who has worn the No. 1 guernsey, will now wear No. 17 following the pattern established in the past decade for the captain to wear the number of Jack Dyer, the club's most-revered player.

No player will wear No. 1 while Newman is captain, and Johnson, who was captain for four years, will again wear No. 28 next season.

Johnson, who took over the captaincy in 2005, led the Tigers in 77 matches but told the club recently the time was right to hand on the title.

Richmond might have considered a short-term sentimental appointment of club favourite Matthew Richardson to the top position but that romantic idea was quickly scotched by the club and the player.

Richardson said recently he would not be the captain, observing without bitterness that his moment passed when Wayne Campbell's term as captain ended and Johnson was appointed to the top job.

At the time he announced he had decided not to continue as captain, Johnson, predictably, did not nominate one successor but suggested that there were several qualified candidates.

"Oh look, there's probably three or four, probably five, that are definitely ready," Johnson said.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/newman-to-lead-the-tigers/2008/11/18/1226770453423.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:14:23 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2008, 04:25:58 AM »
Chris Newman tipped as new Richmond captain
Jon Ralph | November 19, 2008 12:00am

RICHMOND is expected to announce its new captain today, with Chris Newman the strong favourite to take over from midfielder Kane Johnson.

The Tigers have been quick to find a replacement for Johnson, who stood down last Wednesday to allow a new generation of leaders to prosper.

Newman is expected to win the captaincy from fellow vice-captain Nathan Foley, with the Tigers firm in their belief 21-year-old future leader Brett Deledio is not yet ready.

While 26-year-old Newman will be one of the more low-profile captains across the league, within the club he is considered a model citizen and on-field general.

The rebounding half-back flanker has played 133 games since making his debut in 2002, and has made a seamless recovery from a horrific leg fracture in 2006.

In keeping with Richmond tradition, the new skipper will give up his jumper number to wear the No. 17 guernsey of club legend Jack Dyer.

Unlike Collingwood, which for the second year in succession is conducting an exhaustive pre-season campaign to find a captain, the Tigers were keen to choose a new leader quickly.

The players were expected to vote on their preferred captain before the match committee made their recommendation on who should lead the club.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24673141-19742,00.html

bushranger

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2008, 07:09:33 AM »
In my books this is really good news. I don't know how the rest of you feel about it, but I'm wrapped about the news,
It has gone to the best person. :clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping

Moi

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »
Would have loved Richo, but this is a really good choice IMO.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2008, 08:52:13 AM »
A wise choice but predictable none the less. I am hoping in future years we have a standout onfield performer and leader as a captain like most other clubs. This will mean players such as Foley, Lids, Cotch etc need to mature into the role and take it over in 2 or 3 years time.

Newman deserves the role. Congratulations Richmond on a sensible choice.

Stripes

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »
The right move.
Congrats Newy, do us proud.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:02 AM »
Can't wait for a few of those captain goals to happen.

You know the 55-60m kicks that just about go through the middle all the time.

Go Newy.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 12:43:47 PM »
It's official. They just had the media conference outside Punt Rd Oval by the Jack Dyer statue. Jack Dyer's grandson John Devine handed the #17 to Newy.