Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93919 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2009, 08:21:57 AM »

I thought he played well, led from th front...well done :thumbsup

That's odd because I thought he looked a little off and I am usually a massive fan.

Same Mr Magic.  It must be backwards week.   ;D

I thought his attack at the ball was textbook Newy but he was one of the more rusty players out on the field.

Not a bad game, just a little off.

Me three.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2009, 11:57:12 AM »
Interesting I thought he stuck with his man a bit more and was therefore more accountable which took the edge of his normal attacking play.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »
Interesting I thought he stuck with his man a bit more and was therefore more accountable which took the edge of his normal attacking play.

Probably why I liked his game. Because I like accountability in my defenders  :P ;D

When he is "attacking" he sometimes turns it over a little too much, which then gives his opponent (eg the twirp Milne) an easy possession.

I can only recall 1 bad turnover and it didn't hurt us against Freo....

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2009, 08:40:57 PM »

That's odd because I thought he looked a little off and I am usually a massive fan.

I thought his attack at the ball was textbook Newy but he was one of the more rusty players out on the field.

Me three.

Me four. He will be okay though.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »

A lttle off? Give him a go! First game as captain nerves? At least he didnt kick it backwards :lol

Me three.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2009, 05:34:42 AM »
Chris Newman settles into new role
Jay Clark | March 08, 2009

CHRIS Newman doesn't pretend to be an enforcer, on or off the field.

Fluent, hard-working and selfless, yes, but harsh or intimidating? Definitely not.

How then, will the first-year captain respond when one of his young charges or senior teammates needs pulling into line?

Can the all-round good guy who is everyone's best friend at Punt Rd raise his voice and implement the discipline required of the team's number one?

The answer, of course, is a big yes.

No names, but Newman, 26, said he has passed that test, cracking the whip a couple of times this pre-season.

While satisfying the external expectations on a skipper, being stern from time to time has also importantly relieved some doubts of his own in recent months.

"I thought it might have been one of the challenges for me stepping into this role, but I'd rather be respected more than I'm liked," Newman said.

"If I have to pull someone into line then tough luck, it has to be like that at times.

"It's up to the players, too, and how they receive that feedback. But if you have to talk in a certain way sometimes, than so be it."

A determined glare punctuates his final sentence. There is substance to the captain's style.

But, then comes the relaxed, more familiar Newman smile, and the conversation resumes smoothly, like a couple of his neat kicks up the wing.

"I guess I've just tried to stay true to myself rather than try to be anyone else," he said.

"I'm in this role for a reason."

More so than anyone else at Richmond, Newman could be the accidental hero in what is a critically important season for a club starved of success for more than two decades.

The close-checking half-back didn't expect the captaincy to be thrust on him when Kane Johnson surprisingly gave it up, but he has relished every minute of it.

Even with all the hoop-la surrounding Ben Cousins's arrival, Graham Polak's inspirational comeback and the intense scrutiny that seems destined to follow the Tiges in 2009.

Under such a spotlight, Newman would be forgiven for screwing tight the lid, ensuring all and sundry keep their feet on the ground.

That is the safe, if not predictable way.

But Newman, in clearly contrasting terms, has encouraged his troops to "suck in" the excitement, hoping the good vibe translates into good performances on the field.

"There is a genuine enthusiasm around the club at the moment and I think there's nothing wrong with that," he said.

"It is good for the club to get excited - not get ahead of ourselves, of course - but just go with the momentum and enjoy it.

"Everything is fresh at the moment and everyone is feeling upbeat.

"If we can take that into the season and be optimistic about our chances - I don't see anything wrong with it as long as the boys are in check."

As captain, the "in check" part is largely Newman's responsibility, something he doesn't shrug.

His black and gold bandwagon is a solid $1.60 TAB Sportsbet chance to make the top-eight this season for the first time since 2001.

Who knows, more of the same red-hot, yet streaky form that we saw at the end of last season could propel them within reach of a first Grand Final berth since 1982.

On the other hand, though, they are only one or two serious injuries to a Matthew Richardson or a Brett Deledio away from a train-wreck.

Newman says he hasn't even considered finals.

Partly because he - like the bulk of the Richmond playing group - has never played in one.

"Everyone expects us to play finals but our focus is Round 1 at this stage and that's it," he said.

"We are in no position to get ahead of ourselves - we finished ninth last year.

"We are focused on improving in different areas, and if we can improve in certain areas then we will . . ."

WHILE the structure up forward is a work in progress around promising third-year youngster Jack Riewoldt, the key issue for Richmond this year is skill level.

With every opposition team likely to emulate Hawthorn's defensive zoning tactics and swoop on every missed target, it has become more important to take good care of the ball.

Which is why Tigers' coach Terry Wallace has made improving disposal by foot the theme of the club's pre-season.

Newman, the chief half-back rocket-launcher alongside veteran free-wheeler Joel Bowden, is thrilled with his troops' progress.

But will they hold their nerve when the real stuff begins and a maze of opponents confronts them between the two 50m arcs?

Newman thinks so.

"I know the difference having extra skill sessions throughout the pre-season has been really noticeable," he said.

"The guys are putting their hand up to do extra kicking and extra skills, whereas in the past the players have probably been a little bit forced to do that kind of stuff.

"But the players are really keen to learn and improve and over this summer I think we've trained as well I've sen the group train since I've been at the club.

"So we're confident in our ability."

Confident as a player, as a team, and vitally for Newman - as a captain.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25153399-19742,00.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:26:14 PM by one-eyed »

Offline tiogar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2009, 09:37:48 AM »
Reads good. Isn't it great to know that Ben Cousins is on the track with them when they are working on the skills. If they are real fotballers all they have to do is look at him to see how it is done.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »
Newman pumped for opener
25/03/2009 10:38 AM
Paul Gough

New Richmond captain Chris Newman could hardly have asked for a more daunting debut in charge of the Tigers when he leads his team out against Carlton at the MCG in front of what could be the largest Round 1 crowd in AFL history on Thursday night.

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/newman-pumped-up-67393

Captain's blog: It's on!
richmondfc.com.au
By Chris Newman 10:33 AM Wed 25 March, 2009

Finally!

Round one is here!

Another pre-season is under the belt; months of circle-work and running up the Anderson Street hill are done, and it’s time for the real stuff.

I think everyone’s always excited for round one games, the players more than most.
Everyone licks their lips and looks forward to round one. It’s something you’ve focused on since you stopped the previous year.

With a sell-out crowd predicted for the MCG, we’re also excited to be able to get that experience of playing in front of a big crowd. Because the more times we can do it, the better it is for us.

It’s great practice because when we play in finals games they’re going to be in that type of atmosphere.

While it might seem strange to footy fans, the whole “Cousins v Judd” thing is simply not an issue among the Richmond players.

We can understand the public’s interest in the two of them; they’ve got a long history together. But I know I haven’t thought about it once, and I don’t think that Cuzzy’s thinking of it, or Judd’s going to think about it either.

It’s just going to be another game.

More importantly, it’s going to be Ben’s first game for the club, which will be a huge honour for him and for whoever else is lucky enough to make the side.

And keep an eye out for Robbie Nahas, on our rookie list. That he missed a portion of the pre-season through injury and was still be able to catch the eye of the coach and get a game in the NAB Cup was impressive.

He is very quick and his work rate and his forward pressure are great, which we need on our team.

He’s got a great ability to run you down from behind. You think you’ve got a couple of yards on him but his closing speed’s ridiculous.

He’s caught me a few times!

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/73678/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
Skipper Chris Newman passes the test
Mike Sheahan
Herald Sun February 13, 2010

CHRIS Newman enjoys and cherishes the captaincy at such a famous club, yet admits there have been testing times.

He still struggles to articulate the feelings that consumed him at the height of the internal problems last year that led to coach Terry Wallace's premature departure.

Consider the pain implicit in the following offering: "There were times there where, um . . . yeah, honestly, I thought that I . . . just trying to find the word here . . . there was probably a time that I probably thought that maybe I'm in over my head a little bit.

"I sort of doubted myself a tiny bit as captain. It was really lucky that I had the senior players that had been in my position around me. Kane Johnson was a huge influence, Wayne Campbell (assistant coach) was another.

"It was good to be able to go back to those guys and ask them questions about how they were feeling at different stages.

"It was something that I had to push through. Now I'm 100 per cent confident in the role.

"You can't help but take a lot of responsibility for the losses and you soul-search. I found myself laying in bed thinking, `Am I doing anything wrong? Do I need to be doing anything more, anything different?' "

As for Wallace, who appointed him captain last year, Newman said: "We parted ways on a good note. I don't think there was any respect lost there from either end."

He admitted, though, there had been little contact between them since.

"It's definitely something you have to move on from, something you have to learn from.

"There's probably things I look back on and I could do differently, but, throughout it, I'm honestly proud of the way I conducted myself."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/skipper-chris-newman-passes-the-test/story-e6frf9jf-1225829913507

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2010, 06:26:55 AM »
Bleeding for the cause: Richmond captain Chris Newman
Scott Gullan
Herald Sun
May 29, 2010

IT was an instinctive act, but one which sent a clear statement to the football world about Richmond captain Chris Newman.

When Newman grabbed his jumper and kissed it after kicking a crucial goal in the dying minutes of the Tigers' heart-wrenching loss to Hawthorn in Round 8, it gave an insight into the passion of the man who has the hardest job in football.

"Our jumper is what we are about," Newman said this week.

"It is what we play for and it stands for so much more than people realise. For us we hold the jumper up on a pedestal every opportunity we can because we realise it's important.

"To put that jumper on, we put them on all together before games, and it's just a special feeling the Richmond jumper. I sort of displayed that by grabbing it but that's the feeling of all the boys out there, we realise how special and privileged we are to be out there."

It would be understandable if Newman was frustrated. In nine years at Punt Rd he hasn't played in a final and in just his second year of captaincy he's already had to deal with more scandals than most clubs encounter in a decade.

"Challenging is probably the word," he says when asked to describe his time in charge.

"Despite everything not really going our way, it has been really enjoyable.

"I have really enjoyed the role and I think when you can see a future and you can see the development and progression that we are making it makes it a lot easier, even if we don't have the short-term success.

"I am 100 per cent confident that we are going to get there, the frustrating part is now."

Spend half an hour with Newman and it's hard not to come away a believer. Not that he's a salesman full of cliches. In fact, he's anything but.

The 28-year-old is quietly spoken but measured and deliberate about the Tigers. There's a hint of excitement there but the most obvious thing is the sense of pride and belief he has about the future.

It shows when he talks about the pain he feels every time they lose.

"After every game I really feel it," he said. "I'm pretty bad like that. I'm just not one of those guys who can let it go and sort of get in the showers and forget about it.

"I dwell on it, probably a little bit too much at times. I have to be careful how I take losses, as I take them hard no matter what the margin is.

"I get home and I'm up all night thinking about different scenarios. I guess being captain you sort of think, 'What could I be doing better, or what I could improve, what could I have done on game day or where do we go from here?' "

Those doubts are nothing like the ones he felt last year after replacing Kane Johnson as skipper and then being implicated in the sacking of coach Terry Wallace.

"There were doubts early on when I first got the job," he admits.

"It is sort of going into the unknown, so I didn't know how I was going to handle it and what I would be up for.

"I think that is natural, and I have spoken to a few of the other guys around the club who have been in my position; they said it's natural to feel like that so it was comforting to find out that's the initial reaction of blokes when they get in that situation.

"I am 100 per cent confident in my role now."

The biggest lesson he learned was not to try and be Jonathan Brown or Chris Judd, just continue to be the solid half-back flanker who has played 150-plus games without a lot of fanfare.

"Probably the biggest thing I have learnt, and it is fairly cliched and a lot of captains say it but it really is true, is you've got to be yourself," he said.

"You've got to realise what strengths you bring and what you already possess. When I initially got the job all I wanted to do was more, just do more, which isn't a bad thing but it wasn't me.

"So the more you can be yourself and the quicker you realise you are in that position for a reason, I think the better off you are."

The arrival of Damien Hardwick has helped Newman, given the new coach often went about his own career in a similarly understated way . He has urged his captain to help the players take a lot more ownership at Punt Rd.

"He made it pretty clear early on that he's 100 per cent supportive of me and that he wants the players to take ownership of the direction that we head," he said.

"He made that really clear from day one, while he is the coach and is the boss, in terms of training, game day and around the club he really wants the players to own that.

"He feels that is where our improvement is going to come from as at the end of the day it is the boys out there that are running the show."

Newman has seen previous attempts at resurrecting Richmond spectacularly crash and burn but already there is enough evidence, despite still being winless after nine rounds, for him to have no doubts this one is for real.

"I think we have a developing group that are all coming through together and playing together and the more we can do that, keep the same group the better it is," he said.

"You just get that feeling when you are around the same people for a period of time, you can see the improvement that is being made.

"I guess it is probably faith in the game plan and also our plan as a whole club.

"You can see little parts of it, I mean we worked really hard over the pre-season, we've only had one pre-season on it, but you see little parts of it coming into games and when we can do that over four quarters that is when we will become a better side.

"People are going to talk about (a winless season) and people are going to joke about where we are at this stage, but what can you do?

"You can't do anything, you just block all that stuff out because if you are in the place and around the playing group and everyone involved, we have got 100 per cent belief of where we are going."

The Tigers skipper points at Melbourne's rapid development this season as an example of how quickly things can turn.

"The key, though, is being able to keep young guns like Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin away from the clutches of the the new clubs circling them with fat cheque books.

"The blueprint is there," Newman said. "We can see it, there are obviously still going to be guys coming in and out of the side, but we have got a really good core group that can fill all spots on the ground.

"See Melbourne now, they have really flourished from the development they've had, a lot of guys have really come through, developed quickly and surprised a few people.

"They stuck to their guns, worked hard, kept the same group coming through and then added a couple of guys into the mix that are really polished and they are having success straight away.

"I am really confident we can keep the same group together. I think you have to make sacrifices at times to keep the playing group together. Geelong and St Kilda have done the same thing and look what has happened to them.

"I think it is a matter of playing with each other and we think one day it will click and it will come pretty quick. The wheel will turn and it will turn pretty quick as long as we stick to what we are trying to implement."

Newman still draws on his own experience in his first year at the club in 2001 when talking about the hunger and drive he has to succeed.

"We had a squad that trained throughout the finals and I didn't make that," he says about the Danny Frawley-coached team which made that season's preliminary final.

"I didn't play at all that year, so I didn't expect to play in the finals, but I still remember being really disappointed that I wasn't around, I wasn't a part of it.

"The highest I have finished is ninth and it is frustrating. I guess that is the hunger that I try to draw on during games. I really want to play finals footy, I want a taste of it. But I not only want to play finals, I want to be in a successful team."

Of the current AFL footballers, he has played the most matches without a final. But his short-term aim is a simple one. He wants to sing the Richmond theme song alongside Hardwick after a win.

"We go in every week confident," Newman says about the Tigers' chances of upsetting Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium today.

"Even though we haven't won a game, the competition is a lot closer than people realise from team to team.

"There is obviously a huge gap between the top teams at the moment but we're confident about winning games, and because we haven't won a game you could imagine how hungry we are to win and sing the song.

"That is something I can't wait to do. One of the best things about playing footy is that 10 minutes after you win and you sit down and reflect, you don't have to worry about anything really.

"You can have a laugh and you sing the song. I haven't sung the song with Damien yet and that is what I'm really keen to do."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bleeding-for-the-cause-richmond-captain-chris-newman/story-e6frf9jf-1225872777001

TigerTimeII

« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2010, 10:16:49 AM »
well done Newman   :clapping :clapping :clapping

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2010, 11:03:17 AM »
I hope all his knockers are reading this.
It's this sort of passion that can hopefully change the clubs culture and filter to all new players that walk in the door.
Let's hope we can all sing the song today.  :pray
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2010, 09:57:52 AM »
at the start of the game last week - Newman was v good

TigerTimeII

« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
at the start of the game last week - Newman was v good

BS  he was good for the whole game

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
Foxsports.com.au wants your input as we throw the spotlight on the game's most underrated players

By John Clark and Paul Pickering
    FOX SPORTS
    April 20, 2011 10:31AM

Every club has one; the bloke who gets the job done each weekend, but never quite wins over the so-called experts and general footy public.

They are the unsung heroes, the AFL’s most underrated.

And, on the back of a recent discussion between On The Couch panellists Gerard Healy, Mike Sheahan and Paul Roos, we thought it’s about time these understudies felt the warmth of the spotlight.

Who is your club's most underrated player? Or do you have a nomination for the list we couldn't write - the AFL's most overrated?

Roosy got the ball rolling by nominating the likes of Richmond ball-winner Nathan Foley and Demons onballer Nathan Jones, while Gerard reckons Collingwood defender Ben Johnson flies way under the radar.

Mike didn’t rate Geelong dasher James Kelly in his pre-season top 50, but admits he may have sold the Cat short.

So here’s who we think deserves more credit at your club. Have a read and have your say.

Richmond
Chris Newman: Underrated as a footballer and skipper, Newman has led the Tigers through treacherous times with class. In 2010, Newman was second at Richmond in kicks and rebounds from defensive 50, fourth in marks and averaged just under 20 touches per game. The defender has managed to maintain his form while captaining the club, a fine effort in a developing side.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/foxsportscomau-wants-your-input-as-we-throw-the-spotlight-on-the-games-most-underrated-players/story-e6frf3e3-1226041986747