Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93734 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #480 on: September 02, 2013, 02:53:33 PM »
I don't like how this geezer gets to strut back into the side while Tucky could get shafted yet again. Chris might be a former captain but Tuck has been twice the player for us. Still is a better player. Different role/position I know, but the point stands. Tuck has been every bit as good a servant as Chris. Would like to see both play but if I had to choose one I know who it would be.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #481 on: September 02, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
I don't like how this geezer gets to strut back into the side while Tucky could get shafted yet again. Chris might be a former captain but Tuck has been twice the player for us. Still is a better player. Different role/position I know, but the point stands. Tuck has been every bit as good a servant as Chris. Would like to see both play but if I had to choose one I know who it would be.

I don't care who the stuff plays as long as we win.

:cheers
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #482 on: September 02, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »
:clapping Agree and almost been at the club as long.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #483 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
I'd play both Newman and Tuck. Experienced, tough etc

Drop the likes of Petterd. Weak and poor decision making.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #484 on: September 05, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
New ground no problem for Newman

By Ben Collins
afl.com.au
2:50pm AEST Thursday, September 5, 2013

RICHMOND veteran Chris Newman will overcome the hype surrounding his first finals appearance and deliver a typically polished performance, say two all-time greats.

Newman comfortably holds the record among current players for most games played without a final - 232 games - with the next being his vice-captain Brett Deledio on 194.

But Newman, 31, will happily lose that unwanted mantle on Sunday when the Tigers break a 12-year finals drought in the first elimination final against Carlton.

Just eight players in history have waited more than 200 games to play their first final, and only four have waited longer than Newman.

Longest wait for first final
Games    Player    Club    Age    Season
270    Robert Flower    Melbourne
     31years, 301 days

242    John Murphy    Fitz/SM/NM*
     29 years, 292 days

239    Stan Alves    Melb/NM*
     31 years, 105 days

235    Greg Wells    Melb/Carl*
     30 years, 94 days

232    Chris Newman    Richmond
     31 years, 114 days

221    Rod Carter    Fitz/SM/Syd*
     31 years, 313 days

218    Bob Skilton    South Melbourne
     31 years, 301 days

194    Brett Deledio    Richmond
     26 years, 144 days

* Denotes team represented in final

Perhaps the most celebrated cases of players breaking their finals drought in the twilight of their careers are Robbie Flower and Bob Skilton.

Flower amassed a record 270 games for Melbourne before making his first September appearance in 1987, his last season.

The then 32-year-old skipper performed superbly in September, kicking bags of five and four goals from a half-forward flank in big wins over North Melbourne and the Sydney Swans, before suffering a dislocated shoulder in a narrow preliminary final loss to Hawthorn.

It's doubtful Flower would have played if the Demons made the Grand Final.

AFL Legend Skilton, a triple Brownlow medallist and nine-time Swans best and fairest winner, played 218 games before leading South Melbourne in his one and only finals appearance in his second-last season of 1970. In the first-semi-final the Swans led St Kilda by five points at half-time before going down by 53 points.

Skilton, then 31, had 20 kicks and was one of his team's best players.

Both greats expressed their joy for Newman, who they praised as both a player and leader.

"It's a wonderful time – one of the highlights of your life – and I'm just rapt he'll finally get to experience it," Skilton said.

The experiences of Skilton and Flower could prove instructive for Newman.

The duo had previously represented Victoria but nothing could have prepared them for the roar of massive September crowds. Skilton was rattled momentarily by the din of 104,239 people at the MCG, having only rarely played before more than 40,000 previously.

"I'd never experienced anything like those first couple of minutes in that final," Skilton said. "That's why I can understand why players can be a bit fumbly early. I added one to the crowd figure for a while. But you soon settle down."

However, they believe this won't be an issue for Newman, who will be well conditioned to playing before big crowds at the MCG.

And unlike Flower, whose Demons only snatched a top-five spot in a dramatic final round, Newman has had longer to prepare for his September debut.

The old champs say Newman will naturally be nervous and excited, and determined to capitalise on an opportunity that might never present itself again, but expect him to handle the occasion with his usual aplomb.

"Chris is a class footballer and certainly well equipped to cope with anything that's thrown his way in a final," Flower said.

"As an experienced player, you know there are certain things you need to do and you do them automatically regardless of whether it's a final or any other game, and Chris is the type of disciplined, team player who knows what to do just through experience.

"Yes, the emotion of the day can be a big factor, but it can also be a positive thing. It pretty quickly becomes just another game, albeit a very important one, and one that you have to win."

Skilton was confident Newman would be "as good as gold" on the big stage.

"We all love him for the way he goes about his footy and I've got no doubt we'll see the same Chris Newman we've always seen. He doesn't play any different to when he was captain – he still leads by example. I don’t think I've ever seen him play a bad game, and I don’t expect him to start now."

Skilton said the best advice he could give would be for Newman to simply "be himself, and continue to do whatever works for him because it's taken him this far. I'd be trying like mad to make my routine the same as always".

Skilton also made the point that Newman wouldn’t be the only Tiger who had been starved of finals.

"You've got all your mates alongside you who have gone through the same thing with you, even though they haven’t played as many games. so you’re all in it together. That's one of the many wonderful things about team sport," he said.

Current players – most games without a final
232 – Chris Newman (Rich)
194 – Brett Deledio (Rich)
172 – Shane Tuck (Rich)
145 – Daniel Jackson (Rich)
140 – Jay Schulz (Rich/PA)
136 – Nathan Foley (Rich)
133 – Jack Riewoldt (Rich)
128 – Shane Edwards (Rich)
124 – Richard Tambling (Rich/Adel)
119 – Andrew Raines (Rich/BL)
118 – James Frawley (Melb)
117 – Lynden Dunn (Melb)
107 – Trent Cotchin (Rich)
105 – Luke McGuane (Rich)
105 – Matt White (Rich)
104 – Jake King (Rich)
101 – Colin Garland (Melb)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-05/new-ground-for-newman

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #485 on: September 06, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »
New man to finals, but wait will be worth it

Matt Murnane
     The Age
    September 6, 2013

Chris Newman looks sure to be playing his first final - some 4116 days on from his debut. But even the days leading up to Sunday's clash against Carlton haven't been easy.

That he spent the week in the medical room rehabilitating his ankle to ensure he did not miss the club's first slice of September since 2001 sums up Newman's 12-year career in a nutshell.

For everything the Tigers veteran owns as a player - 232 AFL games, runner-up in the club's best-and-fairest, and captaincy of the club he loves - he has had to push right to the finish line to earn it.

As former Richmond captain and now assistant coach Wayne Campbell surmised this week, Newman's long journey is one of a player who would never give up.

''Nothing has ever come easy. If he had a lesser will to improve and be the best he could be with the attributes he was given, he might have only lasted two or three seasons and then never been seen again,'' said Campbell, recalling his first impressions of Newman as an unheralded fourth-round draft pick.

It is a familiar tale every club could tell about one of their favourite sons who took the blue-collar route. But what sets Newman apart is the esteem with which he is held inside Tigerland.

''We would like to think that the culture of our club and our team is outstanding, and if you were to pin the people that that comes down to, one is the coach and one is Chris,'' Campbell said.

''And then [current captain] Trent Cotchin has been able to build on that foundation.''

It is a standing usually reserved for premiership captains or Brownlow medallists. Newman has no such medals, no All-Australian guernseys or club championships. He is just Chris Newman.

''I just think through hard work and his personality he was able to get into a position where he was made captain of the club, which is an extraordinary effort,'' said Campbell, reflecting on Newman's appointment in 2009.

''And then to captain the club in a way that had the playing group love him as much as any playing group I've ever seen love a captain, was even more extraordinary.''

As skipper, it was Newman who helped steer the Tigers through the recent rebuild under coach Damien Hardwick, selling the message that moments like Sunday were possible if the players bought in.

''Certainly in the first couple of years Damien came on board and Chris was captain, we lost a lot of games, so you are trying to teach a way of playing but also build a culture of the club. Chris was instrumental to that,'' Campbell said.

Campbell knows what's it like to run around with Jack Dyer on his back - he was the captain that started the tradition - but he said no one wore the No.17 with more pride than Newman.

''He certainly took it to a new level, the love for the jumper and the love for the history of the club,'' he said. ''He put the jumper on a pedestal that it had never been before.''

Having unburdened himself of the captaincy this season, Newman is now set to distance himself from the line mentioned in just about every media interview he obliges - ''the player who has played the most games without a final''.

For so long the face of Richmond's hardship, on Sunday he will be - finally - just another finals player.

''It's hard to know whether you become a better person and player for going through a club where you play finals every year, or whether the resilience and mental toughness you get taught being through what he's been through helps you to deal with whatever life throws at you,'' Campbell said.

''But in footy, because of the draft, you get the cards that get dealt to you.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-man-to-finals-but-wait-will-be-worth-it-20130905-2t86f.html

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #486 on: September 06, 2013, 11:35:09 AM »

172 – Shane Tuck (Rich)
117 – Lynden Dunn (Melb)
105 – Matt White (Rich)
104 – Jake King (Rich)

Nice representation from Richmond on that list.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #487 on: September 06, 2013, 11:48:52 AM »
Robert Flower & Bob Skilton could play abit

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #488 on: September 06, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »

172 – Shane Tuck (Rich)
117 – Lynden Dunn (Melb)
105 – Matt White (Rich)
104 – Jake King (Rich)

Nice representation from Richmond on that list.

Yeah, it's about to get smashed but even then we will still figure prominently!

172 – Shane Tuck (Rich)     ?
117 – Lynden Dunn (Melb)
105 – Matt White (Rich)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #489 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »
Ashlealouise ‏@ashlealouise1 twitter:

"Congratulations to Chris Newman and Lauren Newman on the beautiful arrival of Indiana Grace Newman! What a gorgeous girl 💛"

:) :clapping

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #490 on: October 28, 2013, 11:34:05 PM »
 :clapping

Congrats
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #491 on: October 29, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »
Hope he ante's up again for a son

LOL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #492 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:41 PM »
Newy - the forward

The Tigers' attacking structure will also feature a new face this season with former captain Chris Newman training with the forwards.

Newman played further up the ground last year in a step away from the defensive role he has played for much of his career.

Lade said it was important for older players to face fresh challenges and the 31-year-old had embraced the shift forward.

"He's probably been our best small forward at this stage," he said.

"He knows how they work because he's played on them for 20 years.

"It will be good for them to chase him around.

"The big thing for Chris is he's still got his speed and his determination to get from contest to contest and compete hard at every one is second to none.

"We're going to try him up forward and so far, so good. Hopefully it goes well for the rest of the year."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-08/big-tiger-gets-some-relief

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #493 on: February 08, 2014, 09:53:13 PM »

"The big thing for Chris is he's still got his speed and his determination to get from contest to contest and compete hard at every one is second to none.

"We're going to try him up forward and so far, so good. Hopefully it goes well for the rest of the year."

Whilst I think putting up him forward is a probably a smart move, (though giving him a role in the VFL side would be an even smarter one.) is Lade talking about the same Chris Newman here? Our last remaining disciple* of the Bowden-Campbell school of soft, unaccountable football.

* No, Grigg & Houli were just born that way.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #494 on: February 08, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
newman >>> king