Author Topic: Chris Newman [merged]  (Read 93733 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Chris Newman [merged]
« Reply #495 on: February 08, 2014, 10:34:53 PM »
newman >>> king

Talent-wise, yes - by a considerable margin.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #496 on: February 08, 2014, 11:58:36 PM »

"The big thing for Chris is he's still got his speed and his determination to get from contest to contest and compete hard at every one is second to none.

"We're going to try him up forward and so far, so good. Hopefully it goes well for the rest of the year."

Whilst I think putting up him forward is a probably a smart move, (though giving him a role in the VFL side would be an even smarter one.) is Lade talking about the same Chris Newman here? Our last remaining disciple* of the Bowden-Campbell school of soft, unaccountable football.

* No, Grigg & Houli were just born that way.

I've always viewed Newman as a brave player. Maybe gets cheap ball as a rebounding defender but I've never ever seen him shirk the issue. Always prepared to get hit.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #497 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:59 AM »
Shouldn't have played in the final.

Hypocritical selection
Caracella and Balmey.

the claw

« Reply #498 on: February 10, 2014, 09:18:01 PM »
hmm so what is his competition for a spot as a forward.
newman,
king -  reckon newman by some margin.
s edwards - this is where he should play imo. think id prefer newman.
knights - knights for me if fit.  especially as he can be a valuable part of rotations.
gordon - well we didnt draft a 24 yo to spend his time in the magoos. another who should be able to go thru the midfield. gordon please.
petterd - only place id play him. a good option here and actually gives us something in the air as well. purely as a forward id maybe play petterd.
a edwards - more a marking player. at his age would be looking for other options. especially if we play the three talls in hampson,vickery,jack. not really a like for like.
ohanlon - like peterd a medium sized  marking player with good skills. if hes devloping well and improves id play him.
lloyd - another 24 yo recruit i havent seen much of him but expect him to play plenty of games. natural goal kicker just what we need.
mcdonough - would play him in front of newman if he shows enough. classy sml goalkicker what we a re screaming for.
banfield - pacy player whos a good solid build for his size. could well add something.
lennon - first rounder and if he shows hes ready has to play.  id prefer we introduce him of hb to start with.

then theres mids like martin deledio possibly conca.
the way i see it theres lots of competition for a sml /med spot. probably better options as well.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #499 on: February 11, 2014, 09:24:37 PM »
newman,
knights - knights for me if fit.  especially as he can be a valuable part of rotations.
gordon - well we didnt draft a 24 yo to spend his time in the magoos. another who should be able to go thru the midfield. gordon please.
petterd - only place id play him. a good option here and actually gives us something in the air as well. purely as a forward id maybe play petterd.
a edwards - more a marking player. at his age would be looking for other options. especially if we play the three talls in hampson,vickery,jack. not really a like for like.
ohanlon - like peterd a medium sized  marking player with good skills. if hes devloping well and improves id play him.
lloyd - another 24 yo recruit i havent seen much of him but expect him to play plenty of games. natural goal kicker just what we need.
mcdonough - would play him in front of newman if he shows enough. classy sml goalkicker what we a re screaming for.
banfield - pacy player whos a good solid build for his size. could well add something.
lennon - first rounder and if he shows hes ready has to play.  id prefer we introduce him of hb to start with.

the way i see it theres lots of competition for a sml /med spot. probably better options as well.

is there really still 'small / mid forwards' or is everyone a mid (more, or less) given the nature of the way the sport has evolved tactically?

Some might say there is a few talls and everyone else is more or less a 'runner'

the claw

« Reply #500 on: February 13, 2014, 11:03:51 AM »
newman,

is there really still 'small / mid forwards' or is everyone a mid (more, or less) given the nature of the way the sport has evolved tactically?

Some might say there is a few talls and everyone else is more or less a 'runner'
yeah i think there is  in the sense their primary role is as a forward. lots are expected to give a chop out in mid rotations. wed give our soul to find a lecras betts rioli milne type wouldnt we.

as for height  id say there is very few small players getting games in any role.  what do we classify a small. for some 180cm and under others under  6ft 183cm in the old scale.
depending on how you classify a tall, for me 190cm plus as a firm guide.  id say a minimum of a third of your team is tall comprising 3 tall forwards  3 tall defenders two ruckmen plus what running players you have that are 190cm and can perform dual roles.
seeing as 188 189cm is the average for  most sides 190cm is maybe a bit low.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #501 on: February 14, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
Acl?

dwaino

« Reply #502 on: February 14, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
Walking around. Hyper extension. Some ice and a couple weeks rest.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #503 on: February 14, 2014, 09:00:52 PM »
He is walking fine now in the rooms, who knows.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #504 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »
Oh dear
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

tony_montana

« Reply #505 on: February 14, 2014, 09:06:51 PM »
seemed to be walking fine in the rooms a few mins later

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #506 on: February 14, 2014, 11:32:25 PM »
Tigers confident with Newman after knee scare
Jennifer Phelan 
afl.com.au
February 14, 2014 10:34 PM

RICHMOND is optimistic veteran Chris Newman escaped serious damage after a knee scare against Melbourne on Friday night.

Newman landed on his right knee after a marking contest in the third quarter of the Tigers' 14-point loss to Melbourne in the NAB Challenge match at Etihad Stadium and had to be helped from the ground.

The 31-year-old was treated in the rooms and didn't come back on as the Tigers narrowly fell to a brave Demons' outfit.

After the match, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said while it was too early to tell the full extent of Newman's injury, early signs indicated he had possibly dodged a bullet. 

"We're hoping it's just jarred at this stage. I think he landed a bit awkwardly, but we'll find out more in the next couple of days," Hardwick said.

"He was up walking around so we're just hoping it's jarred."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-14/tigers-confident-with-newman

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #507 on: February 14, 2014, 11:33:46 PM »
Knights was also walking after that knee injury against port
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame