Author Topic: Any positives from today's game?  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Any positives from today's game?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 10:10:10 PM »
Perhaps we need more of our midfielders dropping back into defence so we can 1) guard more space 2) mop up marking contests and 3) assist in running the ball out of defence. The only problem with this theory is it means less midfielders around the contest in the middle and at the drop of the ball when the ball is kicked in.  :-\

Watching the game tonight, both teams seem to have a much easier time moving the ball forward out of their defence by either clearing the zone by blocking/shepherding the man on the mark when kicking in or by kicking to where the F50 meets the boundary where numbers have gathered and at worse the ball spills out creating a stoppage.

Kicking sidewards and to stationary targets is never the answer yet seemed to be our fall back plan. It has never worked in years even when Bowden was the main offender so why would it work now. Risk equals reward and we need our defenders to be encouraged to play on and support them. Run and carry and kick long under pressure if necessary. Our defenders just seem too concerned about turning the ball over and our midfielders are not spreading and leading well enough to give them opportunities to move it forward.

We still have a lot to learn and I see another year of pain for us starting with another drubbing from Carlton round one  :'(

Stripes

Offline Tigermad20011

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »
It was not for 4 points.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »
For me it was 3 things and bear in my mind it is a pre season game

1 Foley. Liked his efforts hard ball gets and hard running.

2. Houli liked his movement ability to get the ball and use it.

3. We might have lost to the Crows today but the pick we have in the bank for trading Tambling was well worth it. He was everywhere the ball wasn't and he had substantial game time. All fluff and no substance.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:20 PM »
Perhaps we need more of our midfielders dropping back into defence so we can 1) guard more space 2) mop up marking contests and 3) assist in running the ball out of defence. The only problem with this theory is it means less midfielders around the contest in the middle and at the drop of the ball when the ball is kicked in.  :-\

Watching the game tonight, both teams seem to have a much easier time moving the ball forward out of their defence by either clearing the zone by blocking/shepherding the man on the mark when kicking in or by kicking to where the F50 meets the boundary where numbers have gathered and at worse the ball spills out creating a stoppage.

Kicking sidewards and to stationary targets is never the answer yet seemed to be our fall back plan. It has never worked in years even when Bowden was the main offender so why would it work now. Risk equals reward and we need our defenders to be encouraged to play on and support them. Run and carry and kick long under pressure if necessary. Our defenders just seem too concerned about turning the ball over and our midfielders are not spreading and leading well enough to give them opportunities to move it forward.

We still have a lot to learn and I see another year of pain for us starting with another drubbing from Carlton round one  :'(

Stripes
Well said Stripes, totally agree with everything you said. Including getting a drubbing.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
Look, I thought it was ok from a perspective of a developing list.

There were some patches in quarters which when we string together in future we will kick 5 goals unanswered.

Foley's second half was awesome. Planet swallowing devastation. He is so hungry. He wants payback from the footy gods and he ain't stopping for poo.

Griggs was good as was you could hope for. Houli was Sharp. Lids was good. I think Rance has improve out of sight. Batchelor looks like he's been in our back lime for 5 years. Very settled.

Post should play round 1 no question. 2 goals and some nice ruck work. Involved in play.

And poo me, why do our rucks jump so early? It can't be that hard, but if we don't get it right by round 1, we are going to give away possession nearly every centre bounce.

The rest were ok to very average. Most of the rest did some nice things, but seemed out of their depth in general play. we struggle to move the ball quick, and when we do, we rely on their errors to keep moving it forward.

My real concern is on the defense. It appeared to be 1 on 1 today, and I don't know if that's the main setup planned for the year, but a) if it is we are going to struggle and b) if not, thank god, and we better know how to mind space.

From what i could gather we were man on man when doing well but trying to defend zones at other times. This was the pattern all last year too. I get the impression Dimma mixes it up so they get to learn to defend zones but maintain confidence by playing man on man, which they seem do reasonably well.
There was a stage early in the third i think when Adelaide were going forward and you could see each lead had a tiger right with them. it just about looked synchronised

In terms of playing zone defences we started so far behind the other teams in the comp that at times it's like expecting a baby learning how to walk to compete in a footrace against toddlers that already have it down pat. It will simply take time and now that all teams will be copying collingwood's press it will be even more difficult. No matter how much you train for these things against your team mates it is nothing like putting it into practice against well drilled sides, which we have come up against the last two weeks.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »
In terms of playing zone defences we started so far behind the other teams in the comp that at times it's like expecting a baby learning how to walk to compete in a footrace against toddlers that already have it down pat. It will simply take time and now that all teams will be copying collingwood's press it will be even more difficult. No matter how much you train for these things against your team mates it is nothing like putting it into practice against well drilled sides, which we have come up against the last two weeks.

[/quote]

you cant be serious can you, lets stop making learning excuses!!!!

tell me how well essendon have learnt defensive pressure and defensive zones in one summer, they had no defensive side to their game last year and in one summer seem to have cottoned on pretty well.

All we do is make learning excuses, how long it will take to learn Dimma's way etc etc

we have had 2 summers and still look like we are non learners.....please wake up and smell the roses guys we have too many dumb footballers

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

tell me how well essendon have learnt defensive pressure and defensive zones in one summer, they had no defensive side to their game last year and in one summer seem to have cottoned on pretty well.

All we do is make learning excuses, how long it will take to learn Dimma's way etc etc

we have had 2 summers and still look like we are non learners.....please wake up and smell the roses guys we have too many dumb footballers

[/quote]

Yep and Carlton won pre season cups in 2005-07 and by round 7 in each season they were horribly exposed.
Some teams just see the pre season as experimentation. Essendon took the path of if we recruit our club greats as  coaches memberships won't fall off and we took the path of we have a long way to go. Essendon are back to the pack already cos they have won squat and 3 losses in their first 4 games and they will be no better than last season. Take a chill pill.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 05:57:26 PM »

[/quote]

Did essendon's new coach have a big clean out of players and have to go back to the very basics, or did he take a group of players that have been largely playing together for a number of years and simply have to install another element of their game?

What is the difference between a reason ans an excuse?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Ox

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »
I agree with the fact,too many r making excuses for the little babies and the so called vets.
It's pathetic- practice games or not.

It's frightening the way they,at the end of the day,just seem like they as a team don't want it as much as the other teams.

We have every right to berate poo performances especially when it is all they dish up.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 06:40:56 PM »
I get the feeling many here are angry because they think we are good enough to be top 8. Well IMO we are atleast 3-4 years away. So I have no expectations this year. I will put my trust in Hardwick establishing a process for future success.

What I want to see though is improvement. In each player on the list. I want to see development. And if the player ends up being a hack (tambling) we sell him off or cut him from the list.

I don't forget what Hardwick said we he first arrived. "if you can't win your own ball you won't be playing"

let's be realistic here. We are miles away. It's gonna take time. It's gonna take longer because of the new teams concessions.

But I still hope we beat Carton cheating scum round 1.  :gotigers   
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
I agree with the fact,too many r making excuses for the little babies and the so called vets.
It's pathetic- practice games or not.

It's frightening the way they,at the end of the day,just seem like they as a team don't want it as much as the other teams.

We have every right to berate poo performances especially when it is all they dish up.
Agreed.  I hate the laconic nature that some of our players have.  At least with players like King, Foley, Helbig and Nahas, you can see that they're giving it 100%.  If I was talented enough to play for Richmond, I wouldn't ever think of holding back.

Ox

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »
lmao @our backline considering hardick was supposedly a tuff defender :scream

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
I get the feeling many here are angry because they think we are good enough to be top 8. Well IMO we are atleast 3-4 years away. So I have no expectations this year. I will put my trust in Hardwick establishing a process for future success.

What I want to see though is improvement. In each player on the list. I want to see development. And if the player ends up being a hack (tambling) we sell him off or cut him from the list.

I don't forget what Hardwick said we he first arrived. "if you can't win your own ball you won't be playing"

let's be realistic here. We are miles away. It's gonna take time. It's gonna take longer because of the new teams concessions.

So you think 2014-2015 to win 6 more games than last year?

Should I slit my wrists now or wait for next months natural disaster?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »

So you think 2014-2015 to win 6 more games than last year?

Should I slit my wrists now or wait for next months natural disaster?
I hope it doesn't take that long either but we need to be realistic. I still got alot of question marks with our key defenders. I'm not sure I can trust any of them yet. Our mids look good But our rucks ????? Who knows. Our forward line is ok when Jacks there.
And most of all I have a BiG Question mark over our fitness staff. Are they good enough??? Who knows?

Will the planets align? Will we beat Carlton?.... I hope so!
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 07:52:56 PM »
Oh well never mind, perhaps my prediction of us whooping the Blues come round 1 may be a couple of years too early.... :lol

DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"