Author Topic: Tiger players dig deep for Fighting Tiger fund (Herald-Sun)  (Read 5031 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger players dig deep for Fighting Tiger fund (Herald-Sun)
« on: March 18, 2011, 01:49:57 PM »
Tiger players dig deep for Fighting Tiger fund

* Jon Ralph
    * March 18, 2011 11:39AM

RICHMOND's Fighting Tiger Fund last night crashed through the $2.5 million mark, aided by a hefty donation from the playing list.

The club held its gala fundraising dinner at its new $20 million elite training facility at Punt Rd, with the Tigers raising about $1.5 million.

The board, playing list and staff last night pledged $250,000 towards debt relief and football department investment, with $125,000 coming directly from the players.

That figure adds up to $2500 a player, with the Richmond playing list eager to be involved in the funding of their own future.

Club legend Kevin Bartlett last night delivered an impassioned plea to members and supporters.

"Instead of surviving, it's about winning," Bartlett said. "We want to be winners. (Coach Damien) Hardwick and his team deserve the chance to be winners, not survivors."

Richmond president Gary March also used the event to launch a June 10 testimonial for key Save Our Skins figure Neville Crowe, who has been battling ill health and financial difficulties.

March said he wanted Richmond to be hated and feared by rivals again, and bridging the gap in football department spending was a start.

"We want to be the best, the most successful, and the most loathed club in the AFL," he told the crowd of 200, which included club greats Tommy Hafey and Francis Bourke.

"We want to be arrogant and the envy of all clubs. I want to be disliked. I want to be loathed."

With last night's financial commitments and several big donations from Richmond figures determined to remain anonymous, the Tigers are nearly halfway towards their goal of raising $6 million.

Richmond captain Chris Newman also welcomed Tigers champion Matthew Knights back to the club.

"I played some footy with Knighter and got the honour of chairing him off in his last game against Essendon. Having ex-players and their influence around the club can only be a positive going forward," Newman said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-players-dig-deep-for-fighting-tiger-fund/story-e6frf9jf-1226023873501?from=public_rss

gerkin greg

Re: Tiger players dig deep for Fighting Tiger fund (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »
I'm close to loathing Gary March already, not far to go Gaz  :thumbsup

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:02:25 PM »
It's a great contribution by the players, there was absolutly no obligation for them to contribute to the fund especially when you take into consideration the amount of young people with smallish contracts on our list, it is a commendable effort.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:09:22 PM »
It's a great contribution by the players, there was absolutly no obligation for them to contribute to the fund especially when you take into consideration the amount of young people with smallish contracts on our list, it is a commendable effort.

Agree with Rog on this. Players made a fantastic showing. Would rather we just had Brett Deledio, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin and Chris Newman just sign say 100 jumpers each preferably with the new Jeep logo over a period of some week (1 signature on 1 jumper only) and for the club to sell each jumper for say $500. I think this raises about $250,000. Id buy a jumper, Im sure plenty of others would as well.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger players investing in their own future: Gale (Ninemsn)
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 10:48:18 PM »
Tigers investing in future
Melissa Woods
17:33 AEST Fri Mar 18 2011

Richmond players are invested in their own futures by contributing to the club's Fighting Tiger Fund, says chief executive Brendon Gale.

With an ambitious target of $6 million for the year, the Tigers got off to an impressive start at a function on Thursday night, reaching approximately $2.3 million.

The fundraiser attracted some of Richmond's alltime greats including Kevin Bartlett, Francis Bourke, Neville Crowe, Tom Hafey and Matthew Knights.

Reigning Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt announced on behalf of the current playing group that they would contribute $125,000.

Gales said he was impressed by the players' initiative.

"I was blown away to be honest," he said on Friday.

"I had an indication they were going to contribute but it wasn't something they were told to do or asked to do.

"They're collectively a pretty young group so to contribute $125,000 is fantastic.

"The board, the staff and the players, we've all got skin in the game and I think that's really important."

Half the money will be used to pay off existing debt of $4.5 million while the rest will be invested in the football department to ensure the Tigers keep up with the AFL pace-setters.

Premiers Collingwood are believed to have spent over $2 million more than Richmond on their football department last year.

"The fund-raising's about being as good as we can be," said Gale.

"Investment in the football department really matters these days and we've got to get with the program."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8225828

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
The thing that strikes me about the players donating is that some will not be around to reap the benefits.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:32:15 AM »
I wonder what Matty Knights donated
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 09:00:35 AM »
Bachar Houli ?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 10:15:30 AM »
I wonder what Matty Knights donated

lets hope it wasnt his coaching skills.

Gladly take him back and accept his donations but lets face it he was one of the worst coaches of the last 10 years
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:34:46 AM »
Took an average list to the finals and taught them an attacking brand of footy that was good enough to beat top 4 sides. If he'd done that at Richmond you'd hail him as a messiah. Knighta deserves more respect.

Hopefully he tipped in some of his Bombers payout into the FTF  :lol

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:55:36 AM »
Took an average list to the finals and taught them an attacking brand of footy that was good enough to beat top 4 sides. If he'd done that at Richmond you'd hail him as a messiah. Knighta deserves more respect.

Hopefully he tipped in some of his Bombers payout into the FTF  :lol

True. Essendon were one of the few sides to contsantly crack st kildas defensive zones. It's just that for some inexplicable reason he went down the path of offence first then defence. The board that appointed him has to take as much, if not more responsibility for this.

considering the trouble we had in the pre season in breaking the defensive zones I'd be more than happy to have his input in this area.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »
can anyone tell what our salary cap is ?

10 FLAGS

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »

reportedly 92.5% and we are paying the minimum. front loading contracts has also been rumoured which Im sure some other clubs also do, everyones starting to prepare for free agency.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »

reportedly 92.5% and we are paying the minimum. front loading contracts has also been rumoured which Im sure some other clubs also do, everyones starting to prepare for free agency.

What the club is looking at is not front loading Flags, it's called "Pre-paying" alot of clubs are doing it these days

Under the current AFL rules if a club isn't paying 100% of the salary cap then they have room to prepay some of the following seasons contract

Eg if a player is one $200k a year they can be paid the $200k in 2011 plus say another $50K out of next years contract, it frees up more salary cap space as the $50k is counted in the 2011 cap rather than the 2012 cap. 

We are not doing this yet but we want to
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »
question 92% of what ?