Author Topic: Who will be captain?  (Read 15891 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Who will be captain?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2005, 06:01:48 PM »
Voss and Hird have respect and presence on a footy field.  Which don’t seem to have come into public calculation with our selection of a Captain.  The four candidates are all experienced players but, to me, seem to either possess one or the other, but not both.  Is that an issue and does it matter?

Or is it more relevant how players are viewed within a Club, rather than outside of it?

You need players with presence who can turn a game off their own boot to be a top side but I don't believe they necessarily need to be the captain. When you look at the premiership captains since we last won a flag  :-[ for every Voss, Hird, Carey and Matthews there's been a Bickley, Worsfold, Tuck and Daniher. More consistently good and hard-working type footballers. The main thing they all have/had  in common was they had earned the total respect of those within and outside their Club. Our blokes still have to prove themselves in the role and earn that respect. When you think of Cambo and Knights in their time as captains they copped criticism from certain sections of our own supporters. Compare that to Flea where I don't remember hearing a single negative comment despite being captain in a crap side.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Who will be captain?
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2005, 11:24:57 AM »
Or is it more relevant how players are viewed within a Club, rather than outside of it?

In the case of the RFC captain for 2005 I think it is going to have more to do with how they are viewed from within the Club rather than from the outside.

There are some so called experts and even our own supporters who are scratching their collective heads about Richo being in the final four. The perception being (IMHO) how could he be considered when you look at how he has conducted himself on the field over the years (body language etc). It's never ceased to amaze me how the cameras have pciked up every little everything the blokles done on the field but missed a few of our other "stars" give their team mates a spray.

But what happens behind the closed doors? In the rooms - the things we don't see? We only get to see what happens on the field or on the training track, we don't see what happens in the gym, at recovery or pre-game.

I would think that those sort of things will have a great impact on the final choice.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)