Author Topic: Training 24/01/05  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
Training 24/01/05
« on: January 24, 2005, 10:50:06 PM »
That drunken clown from PRE Struggletown has co written this with my schitzophrenic self.
I left earlyish  but feel free to ask questions.

PS Fwoy is down at Aireys Inlet showing off his keg pack to unsuspecting people on the beach.

Training today at the Abbotsford tip at 3pm.

Sprints to begin with.
Johnno,Chaf-bag and Thursfield re-hab guys and only ran shuttles and laps for 1-1 1/2 hrs before leaving while others were still training.
The ballwork started with a criss-cross handballing drill,which was fairly slick.
The groups moved back about 20 meters and did the same drill but kicking.Not as flash,the ball spent more time on the ground than in the players hands.
Then it became two guys using the ball with two 'spoilers' in the middle putting on pressure.
Once again,not a great display.
One feature was Tambling at full stretch pulling in a one hand grab,blind turning on a bit,then drilling his pass to perfection.
The group got called in once for a spray about the standard and then continued and was better performed.

The group then had another kicking drill, 6 lines (3 at each end) simply passing hard from around 35-40 metres to the lead.
Unfortunately an easy drill was again sloppy.
Rodan,Mc Guane and Tivendale all well below par.
The enthusiasm levels were drab too.
David King and Brian Royal were involved in all the drills and spent a fair part giving the boys some grief over the crap standard.
The rest of training involved match-ups.
The groups were divided into 3.
Red shirts (KPP Defenders)
Yellow Shirts (KPP Forwards)
Blue Shirts (runners)

The whole ground was used with the reds and yellows matched up on one another,and the blues roaming the field.
If the yellows had possession the ball went one way and dished out to the blues.
If the reds gained possession,the ball got moved down the other end via the blue shirts as well.
So KPPs were matched up,and the blues just ran and supported and kicked to position.
Delidio took a great grab,turned onto his left and speared a bullett pass to Simmonds for the first goal...a beauty.
Richo trained the house down today,he was great.
He ran the whole length of the ground demanding the pill,got it 55 out on the run,didnt balance or steady and kicked OOTF!!!
Mc Guane continued to impress both in the air,and his set shots.
This 'project' may sneak a wizz fizz game just yet IMO!
Hartigan was also training fully for the first time and looked good,hard running and crisp foot skills.He did well.
Raines again looked superbly poised and balanced and is looking like a really impressive trainer,Im looking forward to see if he become a good footballer now.
I reckon he can.
Browny was great,his decision making and foot skills on both sides of his body were a delight.He just needs to increase his workrate IMO to be an elite player.
Tommy Roach scored a nice goal,Schulz figured as a CHB as we were told he would,but disappointed.
He is coming back from injury and probably not as fit as the others,but he looked lethargic and tardy.He needs to get cracking does the Sarge.
Some of the match-ups were:
Hall-Richo
Jacko-Bowden
AK-Campbell
and Tivva who was taken apart by an impressive Tambling.
Tivva had a bad session and was made to look worse by bling who was on fire.
TW gave Tivva a roasting for 'slow thinking and slow movement' which cost him a turnover.
The bling later ran almost the whole ground in possession,handballed off to Richo for a goal,great to witness.
Harts also speared one on the big fellas t@s for another snag shortly after.
Newman and Limbach also combined for a 3rd for the big bloke.
Delidio again looked good and his kicking was impressive.
Morrison and Pattison both looked alkward and slow.
Morroison had a very quiet game,as did Pettifer who was having a nightmare,missing easy marks and shots.

The players finished the drill,and then proceeded in 2 groups in seperate drills.
The Rucks and midfielders in the middle playing among themselves,in a shirts Vs Skins contest.
It was man on man and included some hard tackling.
Brown and Hyde looked the most impressive.
Hyde looks to be advanced in his running and kicking from last year,and may surprise me by having a big season.
For some unknown reason Hilton played in this group too,why i dont know.
Raines did OK again from what I saw.
Meyer too was in the group and if he doesn't get splattered by a 100kg shirtfront has the talent to play for us this year.
The others did a kicking drill with DK.
A running player kicking to  leading player from the goalsquare with about 40mts between them.
Simple drill,poor execution once again.
AK,Polo,Staff all poor with their foot skills missing easy targets.Pettifer continued his nightmare.Shocking!
Shultz continued to battle as well.
Harts,Tucky and Jacko all were good.
The group swapped sides of the ground to utilize both sides of their body too,a good idea.

It was hard to keep eyes on both sets of drills at once but I'll attempt to answer questions on them,but missed chunks of each drill.
Today was a bit down on what I saw last week.
The ball misses targets too often.
Positives:
Richo Raines Harts Mc Guane Delidio Tambling Campbell all trained well.

See you Wednesday.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Training 24/01/05
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 11:37:52 PM »
Top work Boog.

Is Hilton going to be a tagger this year?

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 12:21:32 AM »
He played in a man on man role within the midfield squad,so maybe??

Surely he hasnt the fitness or pace...
The rest l just wasted.

froars

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 01:17:49 AM »
Out of our four would-be leaders, Boogie, who do you think impressed the most with attitude, delivery etc?
Poor old Richo, sounds like he was trying to impress and then kicks OOTF  :rollin.  I would luv to see him as captain, but unfortunately his history with team mates isn't good.  Brownie seems to be doing everything right at the moment.

Saw some impressive photos of Roachie on Bigfooty today - wow, has he bulked up.  Is he looking the goods?

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 03:44:59 AM »

PS Fwoy is down at Aireys Inlet showing off his keg pack to unsuspecting people on the beach.

Back now Bro...but not to worry, no-one saw my keg...the white skin caused too much of a glare for anyone to see anything.. :lol

Anyway, it's more like a wine bladder than a keg :rollin
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 09:50:26 AM »
LMAO@ the wine bladder blinding everyone. :lol

Moi, Richo trained the house down,his wild miss was a small blemish.He was unbeatable in the air,and kicked true most of the session...even his short passing was good :o
Johnno ran laps,but he's my choice of skipper.
Browny has the best skills of any player on our list,but not quite sure if he has the workrate to warrant captancy.
Bowden is a good trainer but not animated enough on either a match or training to be captain.

Jackson and Couglan are our future leaders,both of these guys are something to look forward to, watching them develop into the leaders we sadly lack currently.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 11:15:56 AM by BoogieKnights »
The rest l just wasted.

froars

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 01:06:59 PM »
Bowden is a good trainer but not animated enough on either a match or training to be captain.
You say Johnno's your choice, Boogie, but do you think he's more animated and vocal himself?  Seems a pretty quiet guy to me.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 02:14:54 PM »
You say Johnno's your choice, Boogie, but do you think he's more animated and vocal himself?  Seems a pretty quiet guy to me.

Yeah,Johnnos not fire and brimstone either,but I reckon he has more to say on the field and at training from what Ive seen.
To be perfectly honest,Im not 100% happy with any of the guys touted.Leadership has been a huge problem for us since the late 90s.
Im looking forward to the rise of Jackson and Couglan as mentioned,2 leaders in waiting.
The rest l just wasted.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 06:29:56 PM »
He ran the whole length of the ground demanding the pill,got it 55 out on the run,didnt balance or steady and kicked OOTF!!!

That's Richo in a nutshell :-\  ;D.

The groups moved back about 20 meters and did the same drill but kicking.Not as flash,the ball spent more time on the ground than in the players hands.

The group then had another kicking drill, 6 lines (3 at each end) simply passing hard from around 35-40 metres to the lead. Unfortunately an easy drill was again sloppy.

The others did a kicking drill with DK. A running player kicking to  leading player from the goalsquare with about 40mts between them. Simple drill,poor execution once again.

Today was a bit down on what I saw last week. The ball misses targets too often.

From what you have seen at training BK, is it the same blokes not hitting their targets by foot? 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 06:35:06 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Training 26/01/05
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 09:00:33 AM »
I did manage to get to training yesterday (Australia Day :thumbsup) but once I got home and watched the tennis, then the cricket and then more tennis I didn't get around to posting about training ::) ;D

I got there about 11.00am and there were 2 drills taking place at each end of the ground.

Down at the station end that group was split into 2 distinct groups - the shirts and/or singlets -v- the no shirts (aka the pecks squad ;)). These groups drill was to move the ball quickly from the wing and run forward and kick goals. One group would be the attacking team one would be the defence. I must say some of the kicking for goal on the run was ordinary - with some blokes missing from 20-30 metres out  :-\. I thought Gaspar did quite well in this drill, especially when it came to defending the goals, he seemed to have recovered a bit of his leap (which is good IMO). This drill was conducted by David King

Up the other end the group was again split into 2 distinct groups - the shirts and/or singlets -v- the no shirts. This drill was about leading in the forward 50 and delivering the ball into the forward line and hitting a target (Dave Wheadon took this drill). A player would have the ball outside 50 and was required to pass to a leading option. The player would have 5-10 seconds before play on was called. If the pass was successful then the player would have a set shot for goal. Again some of the set kicks for goal were disappointing - Tucky had a shocker with his shots at goal).  I thought Meyer was good in this drill particularly as the leading target - seems kick off the mark and reasonably solid overhead. Simmonds was also very good. Once a shot at goal (not sure who kicked it) fell short and Simmonds took a strong pack mark after being 3rd in line.

Brian Royal then took a couple of drills where the the players were paired off and one had the ball and the other player had to try and get the ball off them. This drill seemed to really take it out of the players but it was interesting to watch as it was a great test of the physical strength - leg strength in particular IMHO. One of our biggest deficiencies in the last few years has been a distinct lack of strength - this drill was tough. Intersting to watch some of the young blokes who are not as developed as the experienced guys do this drill - especially if they were teamed against an experienced bloke - huge size difference. With this drill Richo -v- Rix was a treat  - he is a very strong bloke that Rix and he seems to enjy the challenge of taking on Richo. :thumbsup

Final drill was in groups of 3 - one bloke with the ball with one bloke trying to get the ball and the 3rd one strying to stop him - again another taxing drill that took alot out of the players.

Johnson & Chaffey did running and didn't do any of the drills. Hall & Stafford did the goal kicking drills but not the 'keepings off body contact drills". No sign of Cogs :-\

Training finished at about 12.15pm and congrats to Tezza for having a chat to a group of fans for about 10 minutes after training  :thumbsup :thumbsup
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 09:04:26 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 10:43:38 AM »

That's Richo in a nutshell :-\  ;D.

The group then had another kicking drill, 6 lines (3 at each end) simply passing hard from around 35-40 metres to the lead. Unfortunately an easy drill was again sloppy.

The others did a kicking drill with DK. A running player kicking to  leading player from the goalsquare with about 40mts between them. Simple drill,poor execution once again.

Today was a bit down on what I saw last week. The ball misses targets too often.

From what you have seen at training BK, is it the same blokes not hitting their targets by foot? 

Yeah MT,and most are the expierienced guys :help
Staff,Gas,Tivva and even Campbell seem to be the serial offenders :banghead

Hartigans foot skills impressed me on monday though :thumbsup
He also impressed during the tackling/shepherding drill for a small guy,he trains with vigour.
The rest l just wasted.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Training 26/01/05
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 02:53:09 PM »
Top report WP  :cheers. It's good to hear we are working on strength and body contact drills. Hopefully we won't be pushed off the ball so easily like the last couple of years. Pity our kicking remains alot to be desired  :scream. Sounds like it could still be a frustrating season coming up despite the improvements elsewhere  :-\.

Yeah MT,and most are the expierienced guys :help
Staff,Gas,Tivva and even Campbell seem to be the serial offenders :banghead

Only good thing about that BK is in a couple of years they'll be retiring and by that time hopefully the young blokes with top skills will have matured both as top AFL players and leaders at the Club to take over.

Like you I'm a fan of Hartigan. His kicking occasionally let him down last year IMO so it's good to hear he's worked hard over summer on it and it's improved.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Training 26/01/05
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2005, 03:48:00 PM »
I must say some of the kicking for goal on the run was ordinary - with some blokes missing from 20-30 metres out 
If the pass was successful then the player would have a set shot for goal. Again some of the set kicks for goal were disappointing -

I would think that the modern day footballers being paid the generous amount of money they receive, would, if there was a deficeincy in their personal skill level be expected to spend some of their freetime practicing to improve their ability in that area.

Too often when listening to broadcasts or viewing telecasts do you hear the announcer say the ball was kicked to no-one in particular.( boy he must be a great player for he sure gets a lot of kicks)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 04:19:51 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »
OOps!! I stuffed that up!!
It looks as though i will have to do some training to improve my own skill levels

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2005, 04:22:11 PM »
There you go Mopsy - all tidied up for you :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)