Author Topic: Hardwick's aftermatch media conference / Gives sub-rule the thumbs up  (Read 1939 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick gives sub rule thumbs up
richmondfc.com.au
By Nat Edwards
11:31 PM Thu 24 Mar, 2011

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has declared the new substitute rule a success in terms of slowing down the game but admitted he made a mistake with the use of his substitute.

The Tigers were overrun by Carlton in the final term after leading by 14-points at the last change.

Both teams appeared tired in the second half with a fitter, more experienced Carlton side led by Chris Judd powering home in the last quarter.

Hardwick admitted with one less player on the bench, his young side just didn't have the legs to finish the game out.

"Look, I thought it was okay but it [the substitute rule] is going to catch some sides out," Hardwick said after the match.

"You saw for our guys, they're incredibly young, they haven't had a lot of pre-seasons under their belt and it certainly had the desired effect on us in the last quarter.

"You look at Carlton's guys, they’ve had seven or eight pre-seasons [while the] majority of ours have had two.

"It is going to catch a few sides unaware, especially the younger sides I'd say, but it's had the desired effect, it's what the AFL wants, so it's going to work."

The game clearly slowed down after half-time with players more spread out over the ground than usual, while defensive zones were substituted for one-on-one contests.

"I think both sides looked exhausted by the end of it," Hardwick said.

"I don't know how it appeared on the ground but up [in the coaches box] the defensive formations behind the ball just really fell away, which was what [the AFL] was probably trying to do [with the new rule]."

The Tigers also lost a runner after half-time with midfielder Nathan Foley succumbing to a gastro bug that had plagued him all week.

Hardwick had planned to substitute on an extra runner with fresh legs in Daniel Connors in the second half, but hadn't expected Foley to be the one he needed to replace.

He admitted he made a mistake with his use of the substitute.

"I made a blue to be perfectly honest," Hardwick said.

"Axel Foley had gastro all week and I sort of half forced his hand to play, which of course cost us in the end.

"He just couldn't go on and had vomiting and diarrhea.

"So that was my blue. Dan has obviously had an interrupted pre-season also and we just tried to get some experience on the field after half-time."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/109937/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick's aftermatch media conference / Gives sub-rule the thumbs up
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
Stupid mistake by Dimma especially after being so strong previously on ensuring players never returned to play unless they were fully fit. While this won't harm Foley in the long term it did definitely effect our run in the game.

Hope he learns from this.

Additionally, I'll put my hand up and congratulate the AFL on this new rule. I think if it opens up the game later in the game that has to be a positive thing for the game as a whole.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 06:48:36 PM »
It might have been a stupid mistake but at least he stood up and accepted the responsability for it and held himself accounatable. Something we haven't seen from previous coaches!!

I read in the meadia that Foley was subbed because he "ran out of puff" ????? How many RFC supporters would have thought the same had Hardwick covered up his mistake.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »
It might have been a stupid mistake but at least he stood up and accepted the responsability for it and held himself accounatable. Something we haven't seen from previous coaches!!

I read in the meadia that Foley was subbed because he "ran out of puff" ????? How many RFC supporters would have thought the same had Hardwick covered up his mistake.

I applaud him for his honesty and until now he hasn't put a foot wrong in my mind but I feel this is a clear mistake even if it is a minor one. Why play anyone who is not 100% and is literally pooting themselves?! He could have played a number of other midfield options that would ahve given us more run in the last half.

No one's perfect and if you don't risk you don't get rewards but I just hope he learns from this oversight...

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 04:37:26 AM »

I applaud him for his honesty and until now he hasn't put a foot wrong in my mind but I feel this is a clear mistake even if it is a minor one. Why play anyone who is not 100% and is literally pooting themselves?! He could have played a number of other midfield options that would ahve given us more run in the last half.

No one's perfect and if you don't risk you don't get rewards but I just hope he learns from this oversight...

Totally agree 100% Stripes!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:04:05 PM »
Hutchy on SEN earlier today was talking about the lock down camera showing Hardwick giving the boys a massive spray after the game. Hutchy was upset that although it was shown on Ch 10, Lloyd and the commentators just talked right over it. Hutchy wondered why Dimma would make such a spray so public.

I was at the game so did anyone here who watched the tv coverage see it?

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
Hutchy on SEN earlier today was talking about the lock down camera showing Hardwick giving the boys a massive spray after the game. Hutchy was upset that although it was shown on Ch 10, Lloyd and the commentators just talked right over it. Hutchy wondered why Dimma would make such a spray so public.

I saw it and it didnt look like a sprayto me. Bit its hard to tell as you couldnt see Dimmas face just the players. There was no sound I could make out either so to me its just Hutchy is being the goose he is again.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 06:53:19 PM »

I would argue we played more than 1 player who wasn't 100% on Thursday night
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
I applaud him for his honesty and until now he hasn't put a foot wrong in my mind but I feel this is a clear mistake even if it is a minor one. Why play anyone who is not 100% and is literally pooting themselves?! He could have played a number of other midfield options that would have given us more run in the last half.

No ones perfect and if you don't risk you don't get rewards but I just hope he learns from this oversight...

I would argue we played more than 1 player who wasn't 100% on Thursday night

No one else who was literally disabled by stomach pains, vomiting and diarrhea though!!! I'm sure Lids and Connors were,'t 100% fitness-wise. Is this who your referring to?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »
No one else who was literally disabled by stomach pains, vomiting and diaharrier though!!! I'm sure Lids and Connors were,'t 100% fitness-wise. Is this who your referring to?

Add Newman to that list too Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 07:36:27 PM »
No one else who was literally disabled by stomach pains, vomiting and diaharrier though!!! I'm sure Lids and Connors were,'t 100% fitness-wise. Is this who your referring to?

Yes definitely looked out of sorts  :-\

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 07:41:13 PM »

Yes definitely looked out of sorts  :-\

One practice game especially with this new pointless sub rule wasn't enough IMHO

As I said I am still scratching my head as to why we didn't play a couple of senior blokes last week in the VFL practice games to put some solid match conditioning in their legs

And please don't get me wrong I thought Newman played well but he just didn't have enough in the tank to mount 2nd & 3rd efforts when he needed to - very "un" Newy like

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 07:47:14 PM »

I saw it and it didnt look like a sprayto me. Bit its hard to tell as you couldnt see Dimmas face just the players. There was no sound I could make out either so to me its just Hutchy is being the goose he is again.

Agree Fluffy. The boys were sitting along the wall looking a bit disappointed, very tired and emotionally drained. Dimma looked like he was giving a lesson of sorts. Looked a serious conversation but more a passing on of information than angry. Liked like a lecture you might see in a university. I don't think anyone was particularly happy. They had just lost a game they felt they should have won.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:48 PM »
Its games like this when you are developing and learning that sit with you and hurt and when you are in the same situation with more experience you understand how low you feel and you do whatever you can to win. Not saying that the boys didn't BTW.

Dimma is an educator and the boys will have learnt more from his post match talk to them, than if he had torn shreds off them. Real good communicator with the boys. :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 12:14:01 AM »

Add Gus as well. He'd missed a large chunk of the preseason with another ankle injury. We did go into the game a few underdone players which could have contributed to the last quarter fade out although we were poor in the first half as well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd