Author Topic: Schulz prepares for new defensive challenge  (Read 847 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Schulz prepares for new defensive challenge
« on: January 27, 2005, 07:52:25 PM »
Schulz prepares for new defensive challenge
4:43:22 PM Thu 27 January, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal

It hasn't taken long over the pre-season for Richmond's Jay Schulz to understand just what lies ahead for him in 2005 as he prepares to take on the challenging role of being the Tigers' new centre-half-back.

The 19-year-old, the Tigers' first draft pick in 2002, is approaching his third AFL season and in his 21 games to date has mainly been used in the forward line or off the bench.

But new coach Terry Wallace has already told the 193cm, 94kg South Australian that he will be the Tigers' first choice in the troublesome centre-half-back position in 2005, a position that last year proved such a problem that Joel Bowden - better known as a midfielder - was forced to play there for most of the season.

And if Schulz did not realise what a challenge his new role would be, he has soon found out during the pre-season where he has been continually opposed to the Tigers' champion forward Matthew Richardson in the club's competitive drills.

It will be a forerunner to what he knows will be a challenging season playing on the likes of Port's Warren Tredrea, Brisbane's Jonathan Brown and St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt.

"Most of my training has been based playing on 'Richo', which is good because he is one of the best," Schulz told Sportal.

"It's been pretty tough; he is a big man but it's been great (preparation) because there are not many quicker than him and he is one of the biggest centre-half-forwards in the competition."

Schulz said he was surprised when Wallace told him of the move to the backline but is looking forward to it.

And if he knows that with the Tigers' shortage of key defenders it is a big opportunity.

"I'm sure I am not going to win as many as I lose but it will be a massive learning curve," he said.

"That's what Terry has said to me as well but he told me if you can take something from it and give something to the team each week then you will be doing your role."

"It's a big opportunity for me, it's not one I thought I would have, but I am going to take it and try to make as much of it as I can."

Schulz said the Tigers could hardly wait for the season to begin after a big pre-season under new coach Wallace, following last year's wooden spoon finish.

"It's been pretty tough my first two years, we haven't won a lot of games and that gets to you after a while," he said.

"But it's a clean slate for everyone now, we have got a new coach, new assistant coaches and there are some exciting times to look forward to."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=183517
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Schulz prepares for new defensive challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 08:02:19 PM »
It will be a forerunner to what he knows will be a challenging season playing on the likes of Port's Warren Tredrea, Brisbane's Jonathan Brown and St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt.

And as Harry has said before learn from the best how to play KP forward.

Good luck Sarge. It's gonna be a steep learning curve  :o.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 10:58:25 AM »
As long as our midfield can hold their own, there is no reason why Schulz can't do well at CHB.  some very average players have performed well at CHB - take the Wakelins for example.  If our midfield gets its act together then all sarge needs to do is provide a contest.  Otherwise, if the floodgates open, then even Jimmy Jess in his prime would struggle. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 04:33:19 PM »
Schulz is pretty co-ordinated compared to the average big defender, but he just needs to hit the weights harder and develop a bit of killer instinct. The latter is hard to acquire. You are pretty much born with it or you aren't.